Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

הילד מקשיב לאביו. (en → he) Topic is solved

Moderator: Corinnebelle

sentence bot 🤖

הילד מקשיב לאביו. (en → he)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

הילד מקשיב לאביו.

en: The boy listens to his father.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/31928943

Friedrich Rubinstein

Re: הילד מקשיב לאביו. (en → he)

Post by Friedrich Rubinstein »

The English sentence could either mean "the boy is hearing/paying attention to his father" (as it does here, based on the Hebrew), or "the boy is following his father's advice". How would the latter be said in Hebrew? Is there a verb for that or would you have to form a completely different sentence like
"הילד עושה מה שאביו ממליץ"?

According to Pealim the verb להאזין also means "to heed", but how is the grammatical structure of a sentence with that word? הילד מאזין את העצה של אביו?

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Friedrich Rubinstein wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:08 pm

The English sentence could either mean "the boy is hearing/paying attention to his father" (as it does here, based on the Hebrew), or "the boy is following his father's advice". How would the latter be said in Hebrew? Is there a verb for that or would you have to form a completely different sentence like

You can say it that way too, but the most common way to say it is: הילד שומע בקול אביו. This expression לשמוע בקול means obeying an order rather than an advice.

According to Pealim the verb להאזין also means "to heed", but how is the grammatical structure of a sentence with that word? הילד מאזין את העצה של אביו?

No, the verb מאזין requires the preposition ל, not את. So it has to be: הילד מאזין לעצה של אביו. But that usually means that he listens, it doesn't necessarily imply that he actually does it.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Friedrich Rubinstein

Thank you for your reply :)

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:20 pm

You can say it that way too, but the most common way to say it is: הילד שומע בקול אביו. This expression לשמוע בקול means obeying an order rather than an advice.

If the most common way refers to an order rather than an advice, does it mean that in Hebrew you speak of advices as if they were commands, or does that mean that you usually don't talk about advices at all?

No, the verb מאזין requires the preposition ל, not את. So it has to be: הילד מאזין לעצה של אביו. But that usually means that he listens, it doesn't necessarily imply that he actually does it.

Hmm, I see. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the English word "to heed" implies that he actually does it, right? So "to heed" is actually not an adequate translation for להאזין? If להאזין merely means to listen, is there any difference between להאזין and להקשיב?

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Friedrich Rubinstein wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:02 pm

If the most common way refers to an order rather than an advice, does it mean that in Hebrew you speak of advices as if they were commands, or does that mean that you usually don't talk about advices at all?

Well, in the context of father and son, the son is expected to do what he's told...
You can use לשמוע בעצת... when talking about an advice.

Hmm, I see. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the English word "to heed" implies that he actually does it, right? So "to heed" is actually not an adequate translation for להאזין?

The most common use of להאזין is to listen, and that's how most people would understand it. So I don't recommend translating "to heed" as להאזין, as it will probably be misunderstood.

If להאזין merely means to listen, is there any difference between להאזין and להקשיב?

They are synonyms. להאזין is more formal than להקשיב.

Friedrich Rubinstein

Thank you very much, that cleared things up for me.

If I may ask one question regarding the phrase you brought up previously:

הילד שומע בקול אביו.

Is there a reason it's not
הילד שומע בקול של אביו?

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Friedrich Rubinstein wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:33 pm

הילד שומע בקול אביו.

Is there a reason it's not
הילד שומע בקול של אביו?

It's an idiomatic expression that uses the construct state, and we don't use it with של.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Archive: https://archive.li/7pyUi
No audio.

Return to “Sentence discussions”