Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Exercises showing words required

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Moco
Wales

Exercises showing words required

Post by Moco »

Hello. I'm learning Welsh on duolingo. When I started, the exercises said things like 'type what you hear in welsh'. Recently the exercises give a list of words for me to choose, which is not as challenging. Have I pressed a button wrong ly, or is duolingo just gauging my progress? Thank you if you understand the problem and have an answer!

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Exercises showing words required

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

On the old tree I would have said it depends on the crown level and if you use the mobile app IOS vs Android vs the Web portal.

No idea how it exactly works on the new path/snake.

Also lately there was a "server maintenance update" which seems to have removed or broke some basic typing / toggle keyboard button functionality for the Web portal on a few mobile browsers and PC.

On an older Firefox Nightly version@Android I get the FULL typing experience whereas newer Chrome Dev browser or latest Firefox browser@Windows now force more tapping of word banks.
Cookie clearing helped nothing.
Relogin on Chrome or Pc had no effect.

Or you accidentally run over the keyboard option by pure luck in a listening exercise which is then also valid for ALL the other exercises (still hidden toggle button in the lesson footer but full typing).

So for the PC: Either an intentional change or they don't want to push new learners into listen type too soon ...

To me recent Web code changes look very buggy (maybe there a browser version incompatibility or a cookie issue).

And once again there was no QC department doing any deeper regression tests...
Obviously directly rolled out from the master/trunk code repository.

On the app: Many users prefer NOT to type; especially people with disabilities (e.g. dyslexic).
Personally I try to make use of "Speech to text" with Gboard (Android) which only works with a given empty text field (full typing, no cloze-deletions).

For French it's much harder to hear+type than to pick word banks with given solutions on the screen.
Despite my first A1 French year on Busuu I probably would prefer tapping of letters, either full word banks or 1-2 letters like the LingoLegend game is offering it.

But the old Android V5.52.5 still supports this based on crown levels on the tree.

Submit a bug report and request the "toggle keyboard" lesson button, both for the Web and the app:

https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

It's horrible that staff always wants to push long-term learners into beginner stuff and the overall complete/max learning experience is devalued.

The more someone touches the old code the worse it becomes...

For Portuguese I hardly had used the mobile app in my first 1.5-3.0 years as you clearly can't remember the target language words that well only with tapping.
Always had a big Aha effect on Duolingo Web or Memrise Web portals for those few selected skills I did the lessons on the Android app (Android emulator software) to get them completed when I was again forced back into typing.

After 6 years it doesn't matter that much as I focus more on the phrases itself or seeing new grammar constructs and verb usages.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Re: Exercises showing words required

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

Some of us have noticed problems with this using languages other than Welsh. My own experience is that sometimes the system gives me the option to switch over to the keyboard right away and sometimes I have to move the word tiles around for two or three questions before I get the option.

There´s also lately been a lot of questions where you are supposed to fill in only one or two words in an existing sentence and those either come with a few options you have to tap or are fill in the blank by typing. With those, we don´t, in my experience get to choose.

For what it´s worth, I use Duolingo on a PC.

Return to “Duolingo”