Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Somewhere, some screws are loose

Jacko079
United States of America

Somewhere, some screws are loose

Post by Jacko079 »

For years and years, I always wrote etc. as ect. For years. It was only a couple of months ago, that I finally realized autocorrect on Word has actually been right.

I’m not sure why things didn’t click any sooner, or why my mom never saw and corrected my ect.’s.

When I was around eight, I read this in the Bible:
These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Ok, I could read seven distinct things, but where were the next 6 though? The Bible promised me 6, then 7, a total of thirteen, but here, I had quite blatantly, only 7. Had I, an eight year old, found a mistake in the Bible no one else had? I was, quite honestly, stumped on that delicacy for maybe a year. 🙃

I believe it would be enjoyable if others would share their minor brain disconnects if they wish.

This train of thought reminds me of this video…

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlfvIDa5N8

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Deleted User 5745

Re: Somewhere, some screws are loose

Post by Deleted User 5745 »

Although I always wrote "etc. " I always said ex-setter-a! Though after careful self-training I now pronounce it correctly.

Your story reminds me of my father, who claims he can count from one to ten in Japanese....... ichi.... ni.... san... shi.... yon.... go.... shichi.... hachi.... juu.
As a tiny kid I used to count on my fingers as he chanted the numbers.
There were only 9.
I was extremely confused. I mean didn't he notice there was one missing? Apparently not! 😂

About your Bible story though, I mean that is scandalous! It would be front page news. Then all the Bible scholars would present their theories - saying "it was mistranslated," or "How dare you question the Word of God? etc
It is strange though - I must admit! 😅

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I thought this was about me when I read the subject !
Somewhere, some screws are loose. I admit they are not just loose but missing completely.

With regard to the counting. My grand father used to count his fingers
1,2,3,4,5, 6,7,8,9,10.
Then he would count down
10,9,8,7,6 and show the other hand with the words " six and fives eleven".

Sadly, it's not just little children that it fools. One younger member of staff asked me if I had to have gloves specially made.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

[mention]Steve579062[/mention] I can remember being little and being stumped by that 10, 9, 8, … trick also. :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Jacko079 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:35 pm

When I was around eight, I read this in the Bible:

These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Ok, I could read seven distinct things, but where were the next 6 though? The Bible promised me 6, then 7, a total of thirteen, but here, I had quite blatantly, only 7. Had I, an eight year old, found a mistake in the Bible no one else had? I was, quite honestly, stumped on that delicacy for maybe a year. 🙃

Counting is not one of the strongest points of the Bible :D
It is anyone's guess which of the seven abominations He does not hate.

And what happened after the year?

For years and years, I always wrote etc. as ect. For years. It was only a couple of months ago, that I finally realized autocorrect on Word has actually been right.

I’m not sure why things didn’t click any sooner, or why my mom never saw and corrected my ect.’s.

what-if-i-told-you.png
what-if-i-told-you.png (153.19 KiB) Viewed 591 times

Typoglycemia? :)

typoglycemia.png
typoglycemia.png (187.48 KiB) Viewed 591 times

I believe it would be enjoyable if others would share their minor brain disconnects if they wish.

I must have been in my thirties when a girlfriend I had made me notice that it was not "trasgiversar" but "tergiversar" :lol: I guess it survived that long in my vocabulary because it is not a common everyday word.

This train of thought reminds me of this video…

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlfvIDa5N8

Amazing, isn't it?

There's so much that we do not know; we just don't care or don't pay enough attention: we basically live on assumed ideas about almost everything :(

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

I realized there were not supposed to be 13 things in the list, rather just 6 things that God hated, and the seventh he really, really, hated.

That is very intriguing!

Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Cap wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:20 am
gmads wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:43 pm

Counting is not one of the strongest points of the Bible :D

You shouldn't take fairytale books too seriously.

No, one shouldn't ;)

Since the Bible is a collection of books, actually, I would rather say that some of them should not even be considered, while others deserve some —or a lot— of thinking. This "thinking", of course, poses its own series of problems, but one could still keep the idea in mind :)

Also, since some books (or scrolls) didn't make it to the top... take your pick... 66, 73, 80, 84... well, one might as well consider looking into them and see what they're all about.

Antinomy - Imagination

FrankReynolds69
Germany

Post by FrankReynolds69 »

Steve579062 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:47 pm

I thought this was about me when I read the subject !
Somewhere, some screws are loose. I admit they are not just loose but missing completely.

With regard to the counting. My grand father used to count his fingers
1,2,3,4,5, 6,7,8,9,10.
Then he would count down
10,9,8,7,6 and show the other hand with the words " six and fives eleven".

Sadly, it's not just little children that it fools. One younger member of staff asked me if I had to have gloves specially made.

One could do a loop with this to "prove" he had any arbitrarily large number of fingers. :shock:

Deleted User 5705

Post by Deleted User 5705 »

Jacko079 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 am

I realized there were not supposed to be 13 things in the list, rather just 6 things that God hated, and the seventh he really, really, hated.

That is very intriguing!

Last edited by Deleted User 5705 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Mixcoatl wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:40 pm
Jacko079 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 am

That is very intriguing!

He seems to hate money: just look at the type of people he makes very rich...

A rather weird way of showing it, I'd say :o Fortunately, there is no such being ;) Some people go after it and well, they reap what they sow.

Antinomy - Imagination

Return to “Random Thoughts”