Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a words bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afraid

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Gottogetout
France

Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a words bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afraid

Post by Gottogetout »

Hello,
Is that related to the one year streak? I have no idea.
I use Duo since years to learn several languages and I love this wonderful and free tool. But I'm afraid that I won't reach a 366 days streak today. Actually I'm afraid I will sadly and simply have to STOP USING Duo! It will be the case if I can't access anymore to my keyboard's PC. I hate clicking on words to form a sentence
Without the keyboard I just won't use Duo anymore. It's as simple as that.
I've tested on different languages and under two browsers. same thing. so disappointing
I've signaled this to the support.
Did you guys have the same issue?

Okay : I add this 7 days later :

It seems that all this is a wish of the developers, a change. They want us to click on words on some exercises. Unbelievable and unexpected for me! and not understandable, but that's it.
After a while the keyboard access comes back. There's also a new feature, one can click on "Make it harder" on some sentences with only one missing word, then all the words of the sentence disappear and you have to type the whole sentence. exactly like I like to train and I did before.
I personally WON'T CONGRATULATE the developers for this modification

Last edited by Gottogetout on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

🇪🇸 Español 🇫🇷 Français (Bilingual) - 🇺🇸 English (Fluent) - 🇩🇪 Deutsch 🇮🇹 Italiano, 🇧🇷 Português (Exposing to, acquiring) 🇷🇺 русский Image عربي (initiated, very interested)

Gottogetout
France

Re: I can't use my PC keyboard anymore, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afraid.

Post by Gottogetout »

I've just done a test as a new user. No keyboard access! A disaster.
I'm afraid that this is not related to my year streak, but that Duo staff decided to remove the keyboard function. Let's hope that they will change their minds soon. I personally won't use Duo anymore until that.

🇪🇸 Español 🇫🇷 Français (Bilingual) - 🇺🇸 English (Fluent) - 🇩🇪 Deutsch 🇮🇹 Italiano, 🇧🇷 Português (Exposing to, acquiring) 🇷🇺 русский Image عربي (initiated, very interested)

LICA98
Finland

Re: I can't use my PC keyboard anymore, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afraid.

Post by LICA98 »

no idea what you're talking about, for me everything works as normal 🤔

Gottogetout
France

Post by Gottogetout »

Really? I don't understand what happens then.
I'm gonna try right now on my other PC.
... Okay, done :
It appears by simple deduction that "Duo" intentionally doesn't allow me to access to the keyboard option, but only to a word bank, after a one year streak
On my other PC, the old page, in a middle of an interrupted lesson, was allowing me to use the keyboard, until I refreshed the page.
What do they want? That I subscribe to the premium option? Maybe, I don't know.
Does someone know?

Does the moderator that reads and approves this post knows ?
Tell me please

Added the day after : I'm rereading my posts now, and I see that I should have understood with my second post and test, that this wasn't related to me ot to my 365 days streak.
I was a little confused. It generally happens when one is directly concern, its easiest to think clearly when looking at others' issues.

Last edited by Gottogetout on Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:47 am, edited 6 times in total.

LICA98
Finland

Re: Unable to use mykeyboard anymore, only The word bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afrai

Post by LICA98 »

can you post a screenshot of what it looks like?

DmGabin

Post by DmGabin »

I confirm the problem. A weird decision of the Duolingo team.

LICA98 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:30 pm

for me everything works as normal 🤔

Oh really? How do you access Duolingo?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Unable to use mykeyboard anymore, only The word bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afrai

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

What target languages?
From what base/source languages? German from English / German from French?

It is probably related to their recent "maintenance mode"; so they rolled out new code...

AFAIK staff has had removed typing/ keyboard support for a longer time for some languages with a foreign alphabet and Non-Latin letters.
But those complains for Russian & other languages were posted on the Duolingo community forum before.

I also had previously heard that the new path allowed less typing?!

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

DmGabin

Post by DmGabin »

No keyboard option for the French from English course, for example. Definitely no Cyrillic or Hebrew alphabet there.

DmGabin

Post by DmGabin »

An update: it seems that you still can use the keyboard for picking words, just start typing. However, it is worse than typing whole words and phrases.

Gottogetout
France

Re: Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a word bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afraid

Post by Gottogetout »

Thanks for your answers guys,
It was in the German course, I tried another course and it was the same.
But good News! For some mysterious reason the "letter by letter" typing mode is now activated. The "words bank" alternative is not proposed, but for me it's fine. I hope it will remain like that
We will see :) It s may be a bug that has been corrected, or half corrected, and that will be soon.

... I've just done a course. A real relief to see that. I can still use Duo.
And thanks to all the volunteers who make work all this! That's great!

Attachments
duo 366 days.PNG
duo 366 days.PNG (42.18 KiB) Viewed 20889 times
Last edited by Gottogetout on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a word bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afraid

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hi [mention]Gottogetout[/mention],

no, not related to your 365 days streak.
Congrats, by the way!

There was a server maintenance (code update) on the web portal on 23. January 2023.
The user Trackerwannabe uploaded a screenshot in the other www-internal thread which we all saw the previous day:

viewtopic.php?p=41106-www-internal-duol ... ood#p41106

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:20 pm
Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:49 pm

Hi @Gottogetout,

no, not related to your 365 days streak.
Congrats, by the way!

There was a server maintenance (code update) on the web portal on 23. January 2023.
The user Trackerwannabe uploaded a screenshot in the other www-internal thread which we all saw the previous day:

viewtopic.php?p=41106-www-internal-duol ... ood#p41106

My old Android 5.52.5 mobile app (supporting the old tree design) usually allows typing on higher crown levels 3+.
Lessons on lower crown levels (L0, L1-L2) force you into word banks and don't offer a toggle switch.
AFAIK many IOS users complained in the past years that the free "keyboard toggle switch" was suddenly gone on their app.
That's by intent as staff has concerns to scare away new learners if they force them into translations in the target language AND too much typing (no idea why they also remove the toggle switch as an option for more advanced learners, sorry).
They ran A/B tests on Android to check what the best metrics were. Several of their tests failed.

I'm sorry to hear that staff has removed the toggle keyboard button on the new path/snake web code rolled out on 23. January 2023.
But I have not checked it.
The new path forced me back into English typing when I did 2 lessons on Unit 49 "Use Infinitives" before 23. January 2023.
After six years of Portuguese learning I get more out of it with translations in the target language.

The old Android app with tree and crowns is more mixed for me.

A 100% typing option would be nice with the target language translation direction as you can use "Speech to text" (Gboard) on Android so you actually speak and freely formulate your thoughts.

Duolingo has failed to give more advanced user custom settings for the past 4-6 years.
With the dumbed down path, more animations, more school classroom friendly, 4-9 years young kids being now their main target user group obviously, I'm not really surprised they now take more and more options away.

Q: Do you still get the keyboard / typing option and target language direction on the Legendary levels on the new path/snake?
Was typing only removed on the web for the normal path lessons?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

I see you have opened a Reddit thread too:

I can confirm that my Portuguese from English course Unit 49 "Use Infinitives" lesson 3 of 8 doesn't offer me that toggle keyboard button in the lesson footer anymore, after 23. January 2023, on Firefox Nightly (desktop).

But as I said it before, let's be totally honest:
Forcing a long-term / intermediate Portuguese learner (Busuu places me at B1 lesson 1 with the more difficult initial placement test, I have finished two A1+A2 McGraw-Hill Busuu exams, even passed B1+B2 exams on Busuu while they focus more on text and comprehension and less pure listening) into English translations is not that much very productive either.
I doubt I will use that new path/snake design.

Gottogetout
France

Post by Gottogetout »

Yes Thomas, I also posted on Reddit. I was looking for possible answers.
I have to go back there too, in order to say what happened, the return of the "letter by letter typing mode" for me.
By the way I have just seen that nobody had any answer on the reddit thread. Definitely better to come here.
There has been an update yesterday, Okay I understand. I will read that thread.
I don't understand quite well all you say, excuse-me.
Personally, I hate to click on words. I prefer to write words letter by letter. Always.
If not possible I would simply give up Duo.
I don't own any Android device since may be 10 years . I use a dumb-phone, an Windows PCs.

A streak : it's not important at all for me. I don't care about that, not a goal per se. If I lose a streak I actually don't lose anything.
If I'm unable to use Duo anymore : That's the big big loss.

Last edited by Gottogetout on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

DmGabin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:16 pm

I confirm the problem. A weird decision of the Duolingo team.

LICA98 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:30 pm

for me everything works as normal 🤔

Oh really? How do you access Duolingo?

as usual, I just click on the lesson and this is how it looks like
![image](https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... ec5bc3.png)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]LICA98[/mention]

Are you on the Legendary level already?

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

564 day streak. I can still type the answers in my German course.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

The normal keyboard entry option is working fine for me.

duo-keyboard.png
duo-keyboard.png (48.85 KiB) Viewed 20820 times

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Seems to be some code problem on the website.

Windows 11 PC / Firefox Nightly browser 111.0a1 (2023-01-24)
- Original path: Only word banks / no keyboard toggle button at the lesson footer
- Duome.eu progress page / tree: Only word banks (even at L2+ crown level) / no keyboard toggle button at the lesson footer

Android 11 / Firefox Nightly browser 108.0a1 (2022-10-18)
- Original path: Text input field allows free typing / Make harder option for cloze-deletions at the lesson footer
- Duome.eu progress page / tree: Text input field allows free typing (even at L0 or L2 crown level) / toggle keyboard button at the lesson footer

Android 11 / Chrome Dev browser 111.0.5544.3 (2023-01-20)
- Original path: Only word banks / no keyboard toggle button at the lesson footer
- Duome.eu progress page / tree: Only word banks (even at L2+ crown level) / no keyboard toggle button at the lesson footer

Deleting cookies for duolingo.com on the PC (Firefox Nightly) and mobile phone (Chrome Dev) and relogin didn't help anything.

Either it is a switch, a missing cookie or a code incompatiblity.
But staff's new website code from 01/23/2023 won't completely disallow typing as it is working here on Android 11 / MIUI 12.5 on Firefox Nightly (a bit older version).
As I can't get it working on Chrome Dev even after cookie clearing (only duolingo.com) and a relogin something might be broken on the new website code and missing browser compatibilities, who knows.

@developers
A quick code with the Firefox Inspector@PC for example didn't show me any hidden code at the lesson footer (in the middle section).
So it's not just a simple html div/css div flag which was maybe forgotten when word banks are shown.
Also have not seen interesting warnings or error messages in the Web console.
Has anybody a good idea where to start with searching?
Has my (older) FF Nightly@Android a special cookie which may still give me the option for full typing? Can't list them..

[mention]Gottogetout[/mention]
What browser and version are you using on your PC / desktop?
Have you tried to change browsers? Maybe another one works better. Also try a different version.
Have you cleared duolingo.com cookies or not?

If you submitted a bug report to Duolingo make sure to include your browser + version (and OS + version).

I think there is still some hope that we can back this typing functionality on browsers (both mobile + PC), both for the new path AND for Duome's progress/tree section (I could start new crown sessions from the new tree register).

Gottogetout
France

Post by Gottogetout »

I see that you experimented the same issue, Thomas,
I imagine that you must be right talking about a bug in the code.
May be there's also a decision, a choice, in the end, to propose the keyboard by default, and not anymore the words bank. It's what seems to happen to LiveMAs too, in the end.

Yes I did test on 2 PCs, also through Firefox and Chrome. OS : Windows 10 pro. Last versions an Windows up to date.
I saw the copy-screens above from others. It seems that it still works normally for you guys. I imagine that it may depend on the country you are.
May be Duo programs' versions are not yet up to date on every servers. I don 't know.
I'm in France.
So : yesterday morning for me, no alternative to the keyboard, but fortunately yesterday evening there was the keyboard and no alternative to the words bank proposed. Just fine for me. I'm happy I can continue doing my daily training :)
Duo forums where stopped some time ago, they decide to make them work again, later. It was a good decision. The forums can be extremely helpful as you can see :)

Last edited by Gottogetout on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

My android version has the switch. I wasn't aware of it until I read this thread but here is a screenshot with it circled

Screenshot_20230125-085842~2.png
Screenshot_20230125-085842~2.png (100.53 KiB) Viewed 20682 times

John661162

Gottogetout
France

Post by Gottogetout »

Okay

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:25 pm

@LICA98

Are you on the Legendary level already?

I'm using the snake so there are no levels anymore

DmGabin

Post by DmGabin »

Yet the legendary level is available after you complete a unit.

duome

Post by duome »

Regarding the missing keyboard option: I noticed that within a single lesson I get both "word bank only" and "keyboard alternative available" kinds of sentences, i.e. there may or there may not be an alternative depending on a specific sentence. It might be based on what sentence is being shown to you, but as soon as you get the chance to select the keyboard for one of the sentences where the keyboard option is available, it will remain enabled for all future sentences as well and you will never see another word bank ever. Just wait for the first sentence where the keyboard option is available and you're good to go.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure if it really works like this. Yesterday it did, but today it doesn't...

Gottogetout
France

Post by Gottogetout »

There's clearly an issue, I see. It will be probably resolved, I imagine.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

duome wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:22 pm

Regarding the missing keyboard option: I noticed that within a single lesson I get both "word bank only" and "keyboard alternative available" kinds of sentences, i.e. there may or there may not be an alternative depending on a specific sentence. It might be based on what sentence is being shown to you, but as soon as you get the chance to select the keyboard for one of the sentences where the keyboard option is available, it will remain enabled for all future sentences as well and you will never see another word bank ever. Just wait for the first sentence where the keyboard option is available and you're good to go.

I get the same thing you described. Sometimes an option, sometimes word bank only. And I get some where the only option is to type an answer (though that doesn’t happen for me in Arabic).

breenajack
United States of America

Post by breenajack »

I'm having the same issue. The Use Keyboard option was available yesterday, but today I can only use the Word Bank. I hope it is fixed soon because using the word bank is too tedious and don't help my learning.

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

Earlier today it was only available on some questions - mostly if not exclusively the listening ones

But oddly just done another lesson on the web and it's there as expected but that was on preview.duolingo.com, to which I was automatically forwarded.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

You may try this old Duolingo "Tree" application for computers: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail ... n-us&gl=us It is far from perfect and does not have all Duolingo language courses included (you switch between courses by clicking on "add course"), but I am typing translations almost all the time and there are no word pairs and matching words with pictures in it. Duome seems to record your progress in this app.

Return to “Duolingo”