Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Did the French lessons get shorter?

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

JudieLC
United States of America

Did the French lessons get shorter?

Post by JudieLC »

Working my way through some French lessons on the app. For some reason they seem much shorter than they were yesterday, before Duolingo took the app down for maintenance. Am I imagining it or did the lessons actually get shorter?
I'm in Unit 3 on the snake.

JudieLC
United States of America

Re: Did the French lessons get shorter?

Post by JudieLC »

Well, now my French lessons on DL are back to a normal length, but there's been a wide variety in difficulty as I work my way down the snakey path. ;)

Some lessons seem too easy, others seem to go beyond what I have learned. Feels like they're still fiddling with the app or something.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

JudieLC wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:19 pm

Some lessons seem too easy, others seem to go beyond what I have learned.

That seems to be the consensus among path users. You know, the first time I heard about the snake idea, I thought it meant the algorithm would create a tailored path for each user, based on one's experience, passed lessons, errors, etc... that would actually have been great.

Instead, it seems that it's a cookie cutter thing, the same for everyone, resulting in these random jumps from lessons that are too easy to those that are too difficult.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Another thing, and it's not only happening in French: They give me a sentence or a set of sentences or a paragraph and you have to fill in a phrase about what's happening in the sentences/paragraph. Which is a great exercise, but I keep getting the same ones over and over again, to the point that I know the answer before they finish speaking. I don't even have to listen or read to know the answer cause I've seen the same exercise over and over again. Repetition is good, to a point, but this is too much repetition. Seems like they could come up with some new vignettes to reinforce what they're teaching.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

The old unit 3 on the tree is something like Unit 27-Unit 44 on the snake. Some of the notable lessons in that unit are imperative,
connaître vs savoir, ordinal & cardinal numbers, and intro to passe composé and imparfait.

Umm, I did notice some lessons, mainly capstone reviews, were eleven questions instead of the usual seventeen.

Are you talking about the Read / Listen and Respond questions ?

Paul, où sont les couteaux? Ils ne sont pas à côté des assiettes. Il n'y a aucun couteau dans cette cuisine. Comment allons-nous manger ?

Quel est le problème ?
Elle ne trouve pas de couteaux.

I think the problem with those are, for the earlier lessons, they only have a handful of them for each skill. When you get to unit eight there are more.

There's a bit of a history with those. Duo didn't have them until they introduced them in unit six a few years ago. They added them to units seven eight and up. Then they went back to units 1-5 and added a handful of read and respond questions there. Also complete the chat questions, like:

Joseph a un grand frère et une sœur.
Ah, bon. Ils s'appellent comment ?

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

The read/listen/respond questions are longer than the examples you cited. They weren't on the site a couple of years ago when I was actively doing Duolingo. I took a 2 year break and came back and that's when I started noticing them.

I will say that, for some of those types of questions, Duolingo seems to think the correct answer is obvious, but it isn't always.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I did another capstone review. It was eleven challenges & a few were the same sentence previously used in the lesson but presented in a different challenge. The capstone reviews are shorter for sure. I think I did this one in twenty minutes & some of the regular lessons were more than 1 hr.

completed a Capstone Review in Unit 139, Level 6
+25 XP Feb 8, 2023 01:33 PM

completed a lesson in Unit 139, Level 6
+14 XP Feb 6, 2023 09:58 PM

+15 XP Feb 5, 2023 09:26 PM

+15 XP Feb 4, 2023 08:14 PM

+15 XP Feb 4, 2023 03:21 PM

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

I haven't been keeping strict track, but it seems to me that some lessons are very long and some are ridiculously short.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Saperlipopette![/mention] Over an hour for a lesson? Wow! I've never had one that hard. I don't think I've even done one in twenty minutes, probably ten, fifteen at the most.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Yeah, I've never had one that took over an hour, either.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

I just did two French lessons to get my daily goals. (Well, two of them.)

Not only are the sentences shorter (very short, as in "Paul and Marie dance") but they are totally dumbed down for the level I should be at.

I have no idea what Duolingo is doing with their changes and adjustments of the "path".

Return to “Questions”