Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

www-internal.duolingo.com gone for good?

The Duome Team uses this forum to announce new features, new forums or forum structure changes, developments going on, and other matters you should be aware of.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: www-internal.duolingo.com gone for good?

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Now an "Offline for maintenance" entry page is online both on www-internal and the main www Duolingo web portal.

Worstcase is staff is rolling out some further code adjustments to break old tree functionality incl. old Android app versions.

To be honest, I see that coming very soon...

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

Difficult to say, though I got something different...

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 11.42.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 11.42.16 AM.png (27.62 KiB) Viewed 16027 times

What Duolingo means by a "Quick maintenance break" is anyone's guess.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

They're both back now.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

trackerwannabe wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:44 pm

Difficult to say, though I got something different...
Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 11.42.16 AM.png

What Duolingo means by a "Quick maintenance break" is anyone's guess.

That's what I got. And their quick maintenance break last for well over an hour.

Yersinia18
Great Britain

Post by Yersinia18 »

Now internal re-directs to the infernal serpent.

Deleted User 4833

The internal Duolingo link is now taking me to the snake, not the tree.

I'm sad. :(

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Right, doesn't work on Firefox Nightly@Android anymore.
Now we know what their "maintenance" was.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:40 pm

I'm using V5.52.5 app from 16. April 2022 on Android.

Works so far without the new path/snake (old tree design), even the path was finally rolled out on the duolingo com Web portal to all school classrooms (old design flag is gone in the school settings) on 4. January 2023.

As long as your DL account is registered as a teacher in a school classroom you won't get

• A) health (you can set it to unlimited like Plus) or
  • B) any ads.

Makes it kinda working for normal/forward trees.

However it's not the same anymore for reverse- and laddering trees as there is no audio for the source language; you actually need Camilo's TreeEnhancer userscript on the web portal to enable audio, hide text, hide images, etc.

The Android app is quite limited as it doesn't allow free typing on lower crown levels.

Another workaround URL for the old tree design: https://www-internal.duolingo.com

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:50 pm

But... it was to be expected, or wasn't it?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Deleted User 4833

Cifi wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 pm
JudieLC wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:50 pm

But... it was to be expected, or wasn't it?

I guess eventually. But I was hoping it would be later rather than sooner.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

At least my progress page still links to lessons! Hopefully will keep updating! :)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Looks like you can still do blue legendary lessons from that page. It deducts lingots when you do, 10 lingots per try.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]trackerwannabe[/mention] So internal came back online for you? You can still see the tree?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:42 pm

@trackerwannabe So internal came back online for you? You can still see the tree?

No, you can't see or do internal anymore. But if you click on the lessons shown on the tree in your progress page on Duome, you can still do legendary levels that used to exist on the tree. I did it by clicking on icons on the tree on my Duome progress page that showed I had completed all the levels on that set of lessons.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:42 pm

@trackerwannabe So internal came back online for you? You can still see the tree?

At the time I wrote that, I could still see the tree.
Now, however, it is behaving as it is for others commenting here--it's redirecting me to the snake. </sigh>

blueandnerdy

Post by blueandnerdy »

It looks like the progress page here at Duome will link to doable lessons, but doesn't show progress on the tree (on the progress page; Duolingo proper redirects to the snake).

Interestingly, the link does seem to be incrementing the lesson number. So maybe the Duome progress page will sync up and show the actual progress on the tree here.

Mic UK
Spain

Post by Mic UK »

It looks like the previous page is still there on "internal" but before you can do anything, it redirects. I've tried disabling page redirects on firefox and that didn't cancel it. Anyone else got any tech ideas for disabling the redirect (perhaps on a different browser?)

Luca521965
Austria

Post by Luca521965 »

I found a workaround for the redirect!
If you directly enter the url of a lesson of www-internal you get to that lesson and after completing it you get to www-internal with the tree! Idk tho if you have to pick exactly one of the lessons that is possible to do in your tree at this moment.
So for example I went to https://www-internal.duolingo.com/sk ... ctives-3/5 and I got to my current lesson in french and after that to the tree.

Carrotspy
Japan

Post by Carrotspy »

Stopped working for me too, switched to the Duome tree. One problem however is that there is a desync in terms of progress and what the tree looks like. I used www-internal to get the next skill to 5 crowns, which is what it shows on the Duome tree, but what it actually was was 0 crowns. I used the old apk app version to test it to one crown, but the Duome tree still said 5 crowns. Changing the url to do the test for the skill also works, and immediately syncs up with the app, but the Duome tree still doesn't update.
I'm gonna continue doing that to get it to the five crowns I used to have, but I hope this desync doesn't mean that the Duome tree stops updating altogether and leaves the next two skills blank forever.
EDIT:
The Duome tree was down for a bit and now back up. I tested it by doing a legendary lesson for an early skill, and it seems to update fine now.

Last edited by Carrotspy on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

[mention]Luca521965[/mention]
Basically, you don't need to type the entire www-internal url, you can go to the lesson you want from https://duome.eu/Luca521965/progress page, just click on the dots below the skill icon on the Tree tab or on the skill name on the Skills tab.
But, for me, https://www-internal.duolingo.com/skill/fr/Buildings/2 changed first to https://duolingo.com/skill/fr/Buildings/2 and finally to https://preview.duolingo.com/skill/fr/Buildings/2 , and after finishing the lesson it comes to the snake :(

duome

Post by duome »

"Preview features" setting is the reason for the redirect; regardless of this Duolingo seems to redirect everything to its front page today...

nudelfressa
Italy

Post by nudelfressa »

R.I.P. www-internal 2022-2023. You were my best friend. I'll always remember the good things you did for me and how you fought the evil capitalistic owl but it was stronger than you.

Hasta la victoria siempre compañeros.

Next: Duolingo is dead. Alternatives? Can't we all make an open source community version of the evil owl?

Guykings
Great Britain

Post by Guykings »

I can access lessons from the Duome progress tree like others but:
1) when I complete them my progress doesn't seem to update,;
2) the levels of these lessons are all over the place (e.g. I got a very easy lesson for a skill I have at level 3, and a practice lesson for a skill I have at level 1);
3) I can't access lessons for the two skills I had at level 0, those being Welsh Commands 1 and Commands 2 -- I just get redirected to the dreaded snake.

Jenbi
Wales

Post by Jenbi »

Luca521965 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:42 am

I found a workaround for the redirect!
If you directly enter the url of a lesson of www-internal you get to that lesson and after completing it you get to www-internal with the tree! Idk tho if you have to pick exactly one of the lessons that is possible to do in your tree at this moment.
So for example I went to https://www-internal.duolingo.com/sk ... ctives-3/5 and I got to my current lesson in french and after that to the tree.

Is this still working for you? I don't seem to be able get it to work.

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

It doesn't work right now... www-internal.duolingo.com redirects to duolingo.com and its snake 🥲

finnintrov

Post by finnintrov »

The old apks still work tho guys. On android, download something thats older than version 5.7

If you are on PC. Try something like android stimulator then install the apk like an android device.

Ios should work the same but I cant find the way to downgrade the app yet.

-aks-

Post by -aks- »

finnintrov wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:21 am

The old apks still work tho guys. On android, download something thats older than version 5.7

As a bonus stories are available as a separate tab :)

🇺🇸🇷🇺🇪🇸

SeelaghSm1

Post by SeelaghSm1 »

The best thing for me about the trees were the introductory grammar lessons. :Where are they on the snakes? With a language such as Irish you really need :them to explain the mutations etc.

Deleted User 4833

SeelaghSm1 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:45 pm

The best thing for me about the trees were the introductory grammar lessons. :Where are they on the snakes? With a language such as Irish you really need :them to explain the mutations etc.

Not only Irish. Explanations on all the languages I'm studying is sorely lacking in the revision.

Also, doing lessons, I feel as though the lessons have been dumbed down since the outage for "maintenance". I'm getting the same things over and over again instead of a variety of sentences and word combinations that would help me learn better.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Today, I found this free old Duolingo app with the "Tree" that works on my computer with Windows 10: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail ... n-us&gl=us It shows "strength" under each skill and XP's from finished lessons (and days) are recorded on Duome. You can switch between languages by clicking on "add course". Unfortunately, it does not have all Duolingo language courses (e.g., Chinese is missing). My progress was "translated" quite strangely, but it seems that I did not loose any skill with at least one finished level.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Gentianopsis wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:29 pm

Today, I found this free old Duolingo app with the "Tree" that works on my computer with Windows 10 Microsoft store.

It shows "strength" under each skill and XP's from finished lessons (and days) are recorded on Duome

Pure coincidence that this Microsoft Phone Mobile App also runs on Windows 10.
Or that even a login and tree sync works on the older Api.

It's from 2014.

Doesn't incorporate 1-5 crowns + L6 Legendary levels.
That update came in 2018.

Better install an Android emulator software or try launching Android apps natively on Windows 11.

Return to “Announcements by Duome”