Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Any idea when new Arabic units will be added?

Moderators: The_lost, Jacko079

antipodas

Any idea when new Arabic units will be added?

Post by antipodas »

I feel like the Arabic course is far too basic with just 30 units

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Any idea when new Arabic units will be added?

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Busuu and Mondly offer Arabic too.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Wasn't Arabic a former volunteer contributor course?
Do you think they specifically pay a linguistic team to extend it?

You probably know this already, a new puzzled path/snake and new cartoon animations is way more important to the company than course content and fixing reports of old courses.

Can't access the Arabic course data on the Web at the moment, sorry.
My old Android app doesn't show any learners count or detail course description.

Well, we already know that they're focusing more on European languages and CEFR restructures/extensions, don't we?

My suggestion: Get another app which clearly focuses on it.

No idea how good Lingodeer is for Arabic (its main focus was: Japanese, Chinese Mandarin, Korean).
Maybe check out Ling app (heard about it because of Thai).

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

antipodas

Post by antipodas »

Thank you for the suggestions.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:46 pm

I just tried Busuu. Think I'll add it to my Arabic learning. I like that it has transliterations.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Language drops and Memrise are both very helpful and can to be tried out. Both are free also.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Deleted User 4833

Jacko079 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:14 am

Language drops and Memrise are both very helpful and can to be tried out. Both are free also.

They're not. They give you a free trial and then you have to pay.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

JudieLC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:24 am

Hmm. I’m able to learn on both without paying.

On Drops, I can learn vocab for up to 6 minutes, if you wish to learn more than that though, you have to go premium. But the amounts of vocab you can learn in six minutes is a good amount. Six minutes isn’t a lot, but between that, Duolingo, and Memrise, I spend a good amount of time learning.

As for Memrise, the app told me I had to pay, while the website said I didn’t have to. I researched this, and it turned out it was a common glitch on the app.

I hope, whatever problems you’re having with these sites will have solutions if you wish to learn on them. 🙂

As for the Arabic course: I also finished it, and compared to most courses, it is quite short. Have you tried learning the reverse course though? As in learning English from Arabic? That course is significantly longer than the Arabic from English one you finished. I also finished the Arabic course awhile ago, I started the reverse course, and things are going well. I decided to pick up Italian too, so I’ll be going more slowly through the Arabic reverse course.

Deleted User 4833

Jacko079 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:39 am
JudieLC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:24 am

Hmm. I’m able to learn on both without paying.

On Drops, I can learn vocab for up to 6 minutes, if you wish to learn more than that though, you have to go premium. But the amounts of vocab you can learn in six minutes is a good amount. Six minutes isn’t a lot, but between that, Duolingo, and Memrise, I spend a good amount of time learning.

As for Memrise, the app told me I had to pay, while the website said I didn’t have to. I researched this, and it turned out it was a common glitch on the app.

I hope, whatever problems you’re having with these sites will have solutions if you wish to learn on them. 🙂

I'll try it again some time.

Jacko079 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:39 am

As for the Arabic course: I also finished it, and compared to most courses, it is quite short. Have you tried learning the reverse course though? As in learning English from Arabic? That course is significantly longer than the Arabic from English one you finished. I also finished the Arabic course awhile ago, I started the reverse course, and things are going well. I decided to pick up Italian too, so I’ll be going more slowly through the Arabic reverse course.

Not sure what you mean by the reverse course.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

JudieLC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 am

Not sure what you mean by the reverse course.

You select Arabic as "I speak" in the www.duolingo.com/courses page and start an English course.

We called it (previously) the "reverse tree".

• DON'T do it on your main Duolingo account!!!
  • The whole Web/App interface changes into Arabic - as the source/base language - incl. all sent Duolingo emails.

You can try it on a PRIVATE browser window and NOT being logged in to your Duolingo account.
Doubt you will be ready for this challenge with a shorter forward En->Ar course and not having learned a lot more vocabulary on Memrise, Busuu, Mondly and other SRS apps.

As staff has finally killed Camilo's TreeEnhancer Tampermonkey userscript for reverse trees with their new path/snake you can IMHO completely forget about this option for the moment.

It doesn't make any sense to start this "EN for AR (native) speakers" course on the mobile app or on the Web portal either as Arabic audio will be missing, really not.

Deleted User 4833

Thanks, [mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] .
My reading in Arabic is really not good, so I probably couldn't have done it anyway. When I am faced with a line of written text I struggle to interpret it. Some words I know and some I get an idea of from the ending or beginning letters, or just the general shape of the word starts to become familiar. But I really need audio in order to understand, which is now lacking on many of the lesson questions on the Duolingo app. In the old days, I would click on the discussion page, where there would usually be an audio clip on the top of the page, but that doesn't exist for each item in a lesson anymore.

The app gives me items with a sentence to fill in the blank and no audio and I often am unable to do it. Sometimes I make a lucky guess. ;)

I really need to find something with transliterations so I can learn the sound of each letter better.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

JudieLC wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:23 am

Thanks, @Thomas.Heiss .
My reading in Arabic is really not good, so I probably couldn't have done it anyway. When I am faced with a line of written text I struggle to interpret it. Some words I know and some I get an idea of from the ending or beginning letters, or just the general shape of the word starts to become familiar. But I really need audio in order to understand, which is now lacking on many of the lesson questions on the Duolingo app. In the old days, I would click on the discussion page, where there would usually be an audio clip on the top of the page, but that doesn't exist for each item in a lesson anymore.

There are a few unofficial Duolingo arabic stories, that you might find helpful:

https://www.duostories.org/ar-en

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] Forvo is good for the sounds of words. What I did with Hebrew is get myself a primer, that really helps with learning how to read. Maybe that would work for Arabic too? Most sentences have a transliteration in the sentence discussions in the Hebrew course. If a sentence doesn't have that, I ask someone to do that here using Duome's sentence extension.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:46 pm

I started doing the free daily amount allowed of Busuu and Drops. Would it benefit me to download the apps? So far doing it on my laptop.

How good is the Mondly course? I saw it suggested when I was investigating a Lebanese Arabic app suggested in the Discord.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

The Android Busuu app is a bit different than the Busuu website (CEFR grouping with filtered sections and final checkpoints; was also rolled out in December on iOS, not Android).

So far I had a chance to enable additional grammar review items on the app (debug mode); a few new lessons showed up on the Web between checkpoints which were not there before (also not on the app).

For French:
Only the Android app gives additional grammar reviews/quizzes which might be somehow missing on the Web.

Also there is a dedicated grammar Practice tab button (for selected languages) only on the Android app.
Web only has the Vocabulary review (which misses a lot of seen words and phrases from the dialogues, example sentences,..).

On the Web:
You can't SKIP over locked lessons, not after their code update.

Skipping works on the old Android app, but not on a free account.
You must be Premium/Premium Plus.

Locked later lessons and forced speaking/writing exercises (for posting to the community) means:
You can't jump over them if you only want to do normal Busuu lessons.

One French A2 lesson (29) blocked me a longer time as there are two parts in one exercise and the second part was automatically launched. Aborting process made me lose progress from lesson 29 part one.
Support knows about it but couldn't help me.

Took me several weeks to recognize that I can simply leave out lesson 29 (marked as unfinished / not done, not even part one) and directly jump to lesson 30 and continue the course on the Android app as a Premium Plus member :-)

On the free account I'm again blocked and can't continue the A2 course as I don't want to publish speaking or writing exercises, not yet.

Arabic is probably a bit different.
Not all French grammar or review quiz features are available I guess.

PremiumPlus had many formal exercises, French tips and reviews which is all missing on a free account.
If the Arabic doesn't have them, then you probably won't miss too much.

I can't judge as I can't add Arabic right now.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:58 pm

How good is the Mondly course?

Only used it for Brazilian Portuguese (as a sponsored Premium member, had used a discount code in 2017).
They randomly offer a discounted LIFETIME price below 100 Euros.
I also added the free 365 daily French topic lessons recently.

But the complete course tree has way more content than the single free topic.

It's mixed I would say.

Has some real phrases, some conversation lessons (two persons, real audio, recording option), additional addon modules (Fr, Es, En, some less for Pt).

Can't comment for other extravagant languages and different writing systems, sorry.

Mondly has verb conjugation tables for Portuguese, but doesn't offer formal grammar and verb tense lessons.

If you have a strong foundation you can probably profit from shown sentences and phrases and additional practice from the complete tree.

There were a few Mondly threads on the Duolingo community forums which some I may have archived, hopefully.

It was said that it depends on the languages; some courses are better.
Brazilian Portuguese got a second update to audio conversation lessons (makeover).

..(...)..

Much tapping of word banks, also on the Web, is probably not for everyone.
Got that feedback in other Duolingo threads 2017-2019.

Had exchanged some new ideas (reposted request in a ticket) to get away from word banks tapping on mobile (for Portuguese) and now Mondly support recently got back to me to ask "how I want it implemented" (full typing support on the Web like Duolingo or app for example):

I will probably create a new thread here on Duome for other learners to join to evaluate all possible options for best flexibility.
Basicically, I don't like the full tapping or limited cloze-deletions and rare typing not so much.

LingoLegend makes use of 1-2 letter blocks once words are mastered and Speakly shows ----- ---- ---------- empty word blocks and gives a Hint button.
Sometimes I can hardly remember phrases when I need to construct new sentences.
Not all words or grammar are easy.

Sometimes word banks are too lame, often FULL typing or "one letter" keys are too complicated (for French, without any hints).

Not sure how I would start with a more complicated language like Arabic.

I guess it's best to provide settings, toggle switches and difficulty options.

FULL typing has a bigger issue that the sentence DB needs to have many synonyms and alternative answers available, thousands of them, which is probably the big issue with Mondly compared to old Duolingo volunteer contributor courses and Incubator access.

Hope we find a good option which fits several learners incl. dyslexic people.

..(...)

Did you know:
Mondly now also has a report button when it didn't accept a single word or full sentences ( incl. free form text field).
But there's no discussion button like on Duolingo.

I think Mondly is not a true beginner resource (lack of formal teaching, more implicit usage like new Duolingo CEFR courses) but once you've learned the basics and grasped grammar principles for several months to 1.0-1.5 years somewhere else or use grammar apps, why not.
Any additional real phrasebooks (e.g 50languages) are good.

I really enjoyed real audio recordings from native speakers with good quality.
No TTS (Pt, Fr), no comics, no animations,...nice coloured tree layout on the Web and (Android) app.

Portuguese and French languages also offer a lot of lessons and conversation lessons in the extra modules.

I can check for Arabic.

You can freely set the source/base language or switch for each lesson, not affecting course progress (unlike Duolingo).

If we find some improvement options for Mondly we probably should let them know next few weeks before they work again on content and features.
They said that's their plan soon, sounds like they have some new analyst / developer budget available, hopefully.

After all the years I would welcome some minor improvements, both for the app and the Web.
Especially as the difficulty setting doesn't change that much...

I will probably start a new thread upcoming weeks.

Deleted User 4833

I looked at Mondly a little while ago and the first lessons they showed me were definitely not what I’d consider a beginning level. I’m not at a beginning level so that’s okay. Didn’t have time to evaluate whether I’ll like it or not.

My son suggested Mango, but I don’t think it has a free version. He’s using it to learn Russian. He’s already studied Arabic on a variety of platforms (including in person classes) for a number of years, but I don’t know if if ever used Mango for Arabic.

Deleted User 4833

So I tried a lesson in Mondly this morning. Definitely not what I would consider a beginner level. If I didn’t already know some Arabic I would have been lost.

I like that you can switch between Arabic and transliterated text within each lesson item. I need practice in pronunciation and seeing the transliteration helps. But I also want to be able to associate the correct pronunciation with the way it’s written in Arabic. So I switched back and forth on each lesson item to reinforce my pronunciation and reading.

I need to start practicing writing in Arabic too.

Deleted User 4833

A couple of days ago Mondly offered me an oral lesson in addition to the daily free Arabic reading/writing lesson.
I don't care for it much, the AI pronounces a phrase for me and I'm supposed to read it back, but the app doesn't pick up my pronounciation correctly, so I'm always marked wrong on pronounciation. Tried it several times and I'm giving up on it. But I'll still do the regular daily lesson for now.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

JudieLC wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:36 am

but the app doesn't pick up my pronounciation correctly, so I'm always marked wrong on pronounciation. Tried it several times and I'm giving up on it.

Did you check your pronunciation with google translate? You can either input text or voice.

I had major issues with Turkish pronunciation until I figured out how to properly pronounce R. Arabic has many kind of Rs and I don't know how sensitive it is to voice recognition. Sadly the Arabic course doesn't offer spoken exercices. My theory is that their Arabic differs from MSA and makes MSA voice recognition unusable.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Deleted User 4833

FurbyZeKat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 am
JudieLC wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:36 am

but the app doesn't pick up my pronounciation correctly, so I'm always marked wrong on pronounciation. Tried it several times and I'm giving up on it.

Did you check your pronunciation with google translate? You can either input text or voice.

I had major issues with Turkish pronunciation until I figured out how to properly pronounce R. Arabic has many kind of Rs and I don't know how sensitive it is to voice recognition. Sadly the Arabic course doesn't offer spoken exercices. My theory is that their Arabic differs from MSA and makes MSA voice recognition unusable.

No, I didn’t check. But the playback on the Mondly app sounds significantly different from what I said. In other words, what the app is hearing is not how I pronounced the words. And the problem isn’t with pronunciation of Rs.

I assumed Mondly is teaching MSA also. As far as I can tell, that’s what most of the courses teach.

Egyptian Arabic has significant pronunciation differences, but I don’t think that’s as much of a problem in the rest of the Arabic speaking world.

Anyway, it’s not worth the aggravation of trying to use that feature of the app. I may be mispronouncing things slightly but not in the ways the app is picking up my pronunciation.

Deleted User 4833

I think I'm going to give up on Busuu. It throws new words at me too fast for me to absorb them and then asks me to fill in the blanks in a wall of Arabic text I barely understand. I've managed to do it up to now by listening to the sounds of the words and filling in the ones that sound right, but I don't in any way understand all the words in the dialog they present me. It's too fast and seems to assume a higher level of learning than I have, even though I entered on the beginning level.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Yeah, Busuu was a challenge even in French A1 during the first year.

I'm glad I can at least read (but not understand or pronounce) all shown French words because of the easier Latin alphabet (English, German,..).

Also need to remind you that French is not my first Romance language and nevertheless their content and sample example wasn't easy quite often.
Without six years of Brazilian Portuguese under my belt from Duolingo and others it would have been even harder for me when starting with French, I guess.

Both languages are not very similar but still a few Romance concepts work the same.

Did you stumble in the dialogues with the cloze-deletions?

There's a lot of text to pick up and comprehend, true.

Sorry to hear that their higher level doesn't fit you well, not yet.

As I said, the Busuu French A1 course is NOT for a true beginner either.

I'm not sure where you could start with Arabic and not be thrown into deep too far and getting lost in the middle, sorry.

[mention]JudieLC[/mention]

How difficult is www.50languages.com phrasebook for you?

Not all words are pronounced individually (full Mp3 audio recordings), maybe the mobile app has a few more options besides full sentence play?

How easy is Memrise for you?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 pm

I looked at Mondly a little while ago and the first lessons they showed me were definitely not what I’d consider a beginning level. I’m not at a beginning level so that’s okay. Didn’t have time to evaluate whether I’ll like it or not.

My son suggested Mango, but I don’t think it has a free version. He’s using it to learn Russian. He’s already studied Arabic on a variety of platforms (including in person classes) for a number of years, but I don’t know if if ever used Mango for Arabic.

If you belong to a library that has a Mango account, you can get Mango for free.

https://www.freelanguage.org/learn-arabic

https://www.livelingua.com/project/dli/arabic/msa

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:46 pm

Yeah, Busuu was a challenge even in French A1 during the first year.

I'm glad I can at least read (but not understand or pronounce) all shown French words because of the easier Latin alphabet (English, German,..).

Also need to remind you that French is not my first Romance language and nevertheless their content and sample example wasn't easy quite often.
Without six years of Brazilian Portuguese under my belt from Duolingo and others it would have been even harder for me when starting with French, I guess.

Both languages are not very similar but still a few Romance concepts work the same.

Did you stumble in the dialogues with the cloze-deletions?

There's a lot of text to pick up and comprehend, true.

Yes, that's exactly where I have the problem. I can usually get it after a few tries, but I gave up on it today, as I don't feel I'm learning from the exercise. I'm recognizing the words I need to fill in, but I can't identify all the words in the dialog - I mean, I can follow along by sound and read the characters, but I haven't learned what all of the words mean yet.

Sorry to hear that their higher level doesn't fit you well, not yet.

As I said, the Busuu French A1 course is NOT for a true beginner either.

I'm not sure where you could start with Arabic and not be thrown into deep too far and getting lost in the middle, sorry.

@JudieLC

How difficult is www.50languages.com phrasebook for you?

Haven't seen that before, doesn't look too bad, could probably pick up something from that.

Not all words are pronounced individually (full Mp3 audio recordings), maybe the mobile app has a few more options besides full sentence play?

How easy is Memrise for you?

Memrise doesn't seem to have Arabic.

I'm doing okay with the daily free lessons on Language Drops and Mondly (if I ignore the oral practice on Mondly, which is what I'm doing for now).

My son also mentioned that he used Arabic Pod when he first started learning Arabic, I might take another look at that.

I will add that knowing Hebrew does help me in Arabic as there are many similar words - or words that are similar enough to Hebrew - that I can remember them. And also I have some Arabic words in my brain by virtue of having grown up around family members who spoke the language, though I didn't actually learn the language from them.

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 pm
JudieLC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 pm

If you belong to a library that has a Mango account, you can get Mango for free.

https://www.freelanguage.org/learn-arabic

https://www.livelingua.com/project/dli/arabic/msa

Good to know, I will check my local library.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention]

Somewhere I read about Qlango.
The Android app has about 1 mio. downloads.
Qlango 2 has been developed in 2022 (last update in December) and is out.
Maybe you find reviews about Qlango (V1) on Reddit?

I see a price tag on the Google Play store but you first need to create an account (only with Qlango 2!!) to even see any menu. I haven't done this yet.
Installation of Qlango V1 allowed me to see all menus, affordable Premium options and all available learning content (CEFR level, stages, topics/themes content).

Never came across it past six years on the Duolingo community forum, not that I could remember.

Edit: Got Qlango V1 installed and it allows me to start it and auto login with an internal userid so I can add a course.
Nice overview - better this than how Qlango 2 does it now with a locked register account screen.

Unfortunately, for Arabic no pronunciation audio/TTS is available, I'm very sorry.

Guess I need to stop giving any recommendations about apps I've never tested before especially with Arabic :-)
Phrases audio only works for me here for Portuguese and French, not for Arabic.

Ps: I checked the language list on the LingoLegend game (using it for French) but Arabic is not included (Korean, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese is there) unfortunately.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm

I think I'm going to give up on Busuu. It throws new words at me too fast for me to absorb them and then asks me to fill in the blanks in a wall of Arabic text I barely understand. I've managed to do it up to now by listening to the sounds of the words and filling in the ones that sound right, but I don't in any way understand all the words in the dialog they present me. It's too fast and seems to assume a higher level of learning than I have, even though I entered on the beginning level.

I've never tried Busuu, but a guy on the previous forum was very happy with it and recommended it after the duolingo course. Did you already finish the Duolingo Arabic course?

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Deleted User 4833

FurbyZeKat wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:14 am
JudieLC wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm

I've never tried Busuu, but a guy on the previous forum was very happy with it and recommended it after the duolingo course. Did you already finish the Duolingo Arabic course?

No not yet. But I’m trying to augment my learning, as the Duolingo course on the snake is not as helpful as the tree was. No more tips, just very unhelpful “key phrases.”

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

JudieLC wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:53 pm

The Duolingo course on the snake is not as helpful as the tree was.
No more tips, just very unhelpful “key phrases.”

Web T&N: https://duome.eu/tips/en/ar

Isn't the Arabic course a volunteer contributor course?

This means - unlike FR/ES/DE/EN/PT.. and other higher demand courses like IT - no mobile (tree) tips are futher available as these have been created by staff with their own internal tools for selected courses.

Ps: Found a newly announced blog tips website https://duo-tips.pages.dev/ on Reddit: viewtopic.php?t=10032-found-a-newly-ann ... tension-to

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Resources”