Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo turned me into a monster (article)

IceVajal
Germany

Duolingo turned me into a monster (article)

Post by IceVajal »

About a Duolingo addict....

CNET: Duolingo Turned Me Into a Monster.
https://www.cnet.com/culture/internet/d ... a-monster/

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

DmGabin

Re: Duolingo turned me into a monster (article)

Post by DmGabin »

A bulk of nonsense, not worth reading. It has been discussed many times. Just focus on language learning rather than on XPs, leagues etc.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I can relate to a lot of it. Perhaps he needs to know about the privacy settings.

John661162

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]DmGabin[/mention], I'm not interested in competition when it comes to language learning, but frequently people get caught up in the competition, so it seems to depend on one's mind setting. For some it is a problem, for others it isn't.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Quite interesting! I hope I learn more for my time than that guy. I'm not binging but learning at my pace and I do see tangible results for my efforts. I don't believe you will achieve success overnight in a language, but if you work at it bit by bit and truly want to learn, you will succeed. I must say I haven't really touched my other courses, except for good old Hebrew which is by native speakers, since they added all those bot voices.

I think one does need to say the words out loud and also he should of taken advantage of conversing with his wife at the same time to have a truly great learning process.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ultimatequestion

Post by ultimatequestion »

The funny story. It's all true for thousands people. This is a prime example of how the absence or displacement of a goal prevents a result.

...until the entire Sapphire league had been reduced to ash. © :D

"That's boring, girls!" © Ilf and Petrov. The Twelve Chairs

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

IceVajal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:45 am

😂

That was when Duolingo got a little bit… weird.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Typical behavior of a "monster":

_20230115_111703~2.png
_20230115_111703~2.png (13.05 KiB) Viewed 900 times

90k XP and 5 words learned. It is a minority though (but quite annoying :evil: )

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DmGabin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:09 pm

A bulk of nonsense, not worth reading. It has been discussed many times. Just focus on language learning rather than on XPs, leagues etc.

If it only were that easy. Human nature makes the vast majority a target for money-hungry companies that rely on well-known psychological tactics to keep them hooked, yes, like addicts.

Discussing something many times doesn't take away the fact being discussed, and while well-intentioned, the given advice seldom works.

Last edited by gmads on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

PtolemysXX wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:15 am

_20230115_1117032.png

I am wondering how someone got that far like that with that many levels and no crowns, or was it a bot?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:43 pm
PtolemysXX wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:15 am

_20230115_1117032.png

I am wondering how someone got that far like that with that many levels and no crowns, or was it a bot?

Judging by raw data i think this is a live person doing an average number of lessons in other languages and switching to Japanese only to make sure he/she wins. Perhaps at certain point Duolingo algorithms put a stop to this mischief because i saw that person delete their tree and recreate it (so they are now back at mere few thousand and 5 words).

Deleted User 5745

Post by Deleted User 5745 »

IceVajal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:45 am

I can relate. I never considered myself to be a competitive person. But the leagues somehow bring out the desperado in me.
I even "talk" to the players.

Some girl takes my top spot and I'm like, "And where do you think you're goin' missy?" quickly racking up a couple of 100 points in retaliation.

By the end-time I open the app and yell, "Okay you pack of b*stards. Think you're clever, do you?" Then give myself a migraine hacking out more XP.

I managed to pull in the reigns the past week and made myself do mainly lessons. Not bulk mindless repetitive stuff I could do in my sleep.

Was gut wrenching nonetheless to watch those animals fighting for top place - knowing I wouldn't be one of them.

4theAEsir
Great Britain

Post by 4theAEsir »

Its all about the balance, I love to learn and I love to win so three weeks out of four I focus on learning but on the fourth week I play to win.

Learning :de::jp: Re-Learning Image

Today's mood is :?:

FrankReynolds69
Germany

Post by FrankReynolds69 »

Even if he made up half of his story it's still somewhat entertaining to read. ;-) I'm not taking it too seriously though.
For my part I am using Duolingo alongside many different sources (A podcast, youtube videos, classical course books,...). Nevertheless, I think it is also fun to go on the occasional Duolingo frenzy.

It's a mixed bag really. My main goal still remains to become fluent in Russian and sometimes Duo might become more of a hindrance towards that goal. But even if it might slow me down at times, on the upside I think I can also avoid a lot of tedious vocabulary management (about 2000 words less I need to worry about ;)) and get to do some fun, low-threshold practice in between.

Once I finished the Russian course I will return my focus toward more traditional means of studying (Course book with exercises and some writing practice plus youtube videos with TPRS stories for example, always interspersed with some confrontation with original native speaker's content like newspaper articles and interviews and the like).

In my "endgame" I see myself taking a B1 or B2 placement test and continue with some professional in-person courses from there (Some years ago I already took 2 semesters of a Russian course that was discontinued due to low number of participants).

Return to “Random Thoughts”