Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Free Irish classes Topic is solved

AusShoshana
Australia

Free Irish classes

Post by AusShoshana »

I’ve just done a semester with this group and found it fascinating.

https://groups.io/g/philo-celtic-society

Thought others may be interested

New classes begin at the start of February

Caitlin
Australia

Re: Free Irish classes

Post by Caitlin »

Thank you so much AusShoshana! I am so grateful for this information!

I will enrol immediately!

I am in the Brisbane Australian Time Zone (Sydney and Melbourne).

Looking for any news of any classes in Ireland, in Australia and around the world. I want to get as much practice as possible.

🇮🇪 Beginner Irish/Gaeilgeoir Duolingo levels 🇮🇪

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

They don't see to have their February Classes up yet AusShoshana ?

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

The new classes will be up in the next 24 hours AusShoshana!

I am excited!

AusShoshana
Australia

Post by AusShoshana »

Yes! I’m going to trial moving into there Progress In Irish 1-15 The sample booklet was posted there other day plus I found a YouTube channel which does the lessons one at a time. Requiring a little more time investment than Duolingo though

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

Dia duit AusShoshana!

Tá an chuma ar an scéal go bhfuil tú ag ullmhú le tamall maith staidéir a chur ar an nGaeilge! (It sounds like you are preparing to put some solid studying time into Gaelic!) Tá sé sin spreagúil dom a léamh! (That is exciting for me to read!)

I have the same Progress in Irish 1-15 sample booklet and I am ordering the book. I was looking through that Progress in Irish 1-15 book last night. If I can work out how to sign up for the classes I will go to that as well. Do you know how to sign up to the classes? Could you please put a link here? I am a bit confused about that! I will do the Beginners Class at the same time. I have been practicing writing down Gaeilge!

Which YouTube channel did you find? If you don't mind sharing? Does it work through Progress in Irish 1-15?

Extra Resources I am exploring at this time:

I have been listening to https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/categories ... e=Faisneis so I get a feeling for listening to Irish being spoken. I have been watching some of the documentaries and just hearing one word every now and then.

I have also been listening to a couple of (Irish Speaking) Irish Radio Stations as well. One is https://irishradiolive.com/raidio-na-gaeltachta agus
https://raidiofailte.com/

You are probably more advanced than this - but it might be of interest: https://duome.eu/tips/en/ga?fbclid=IwAR ... _lJdLyoiUQ

Ag tnúth le tú a léamh go luath! (Looking forward to reading you soon!)

I am spending a little bit of time using the Google Irish to English translation and then writing it down or using it in what I am writing (which is what I have done here!)

I am not always good at getting the fadas in place on different devices. I haven't worked out how to do it on my desktop yet.

Slán
Caitlín (one of the teachers sent my name spelt with a fada over the a - will learn how to do that in time).

AusShoshana
Australia

Post by AusShoshana »

I suspect from your enthusiasm and postings your grasp of the language is far most advanced than mine

I have tried to link to you within Duolingo to no avail

Since Duolingo changed to the new format, I’m not retaining what I’m learning and it doesn’t make sense to me. The other post you have been expanding on has been fantastic revision and linking missing links together - thank you

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Just remember you can still do the tree by looking at your progress in Irish in Duome. duome.eu/your Duolingo username/progess [click on Irish course to view the Irish tree]. If this doesn't work you might need to go public for a bit to sync the websites. Just go private again afterwards.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

Hello AusShoshana,

I was born enthusiastic. It's genetics! LOL

I am doing a lot of looking at dictionaries and trying to translate. I don't even know if what I am doing is right.

I recently finished up with some courses I was teaching so I do have a bit of extra time on my hands. I was teaching people who had no skills to people who had better skills than myself. So I have a small amount at learning how to learn and how to teach folks to find their way.

I would train people who had no skills and that was great because I got to do revision.

I suspect that you are further along with some Gaeilge and concepts then me and so I am so excited to just have people to practice with. But if you don't want to that is fine as well.

Even sending a partial Gaeilge email once per week - we could do that. And no pressure if it's not for you, it's not for you!

I like to laugh a lot as well.

If you were the one that emailed me about doing 15 minutes per day? I am so keen to do that. I did 15 minutes per day on a textbook that was over 1500 pages once with another person and seriously 15 minutes per day will get you there.

I will private message you my Duolingo Account and I set up a Facebook account for learning Gaelic so if you wanted to be friends. I don't have any Faceboook Gaeilge friends as of yet. If anyone else would like to be my Facebook I can PM them as well. If you don't feel comfortable that is fine!

Once again if nothing I am suggesting appeals to you then that is totally fine! I totally get it, sometimes things appeal and sometimest they don't.

I am trying to immerse myself in the language. My grandfather spoke Gaelic with his Mother and Grandmother. I have always felt that a bit of my soul was missing from not being able to speak the language. I was too shy to go to classes because I thought I would be the dumbest person there who would look foolish. I have never had the time to do some classes now. Now don't care if I look dumb because if I don't learn now I never will!

I am glad that you found the other link I accidentally found googling something else to be useful. That was totally dumb luck!

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

Dia duit Corinnebelle,

I am not sure how to do what it is that you are talking about. I am happy to private message you my Duolingo account so we can be friends and also my Facebook page which I set up just so I can engage in learning Gaeilge. I will try to post a one sentence message on it daily in Gaeilge (with the Bearla (English) in brackets), so I really get into learning it.

I so wish I could go to an immersion class for a couple of days or a week. Are there any on Zoom which would work with Brisbane, Australian time table!

I am moving between a Windows Desktop, an andriod phone, a windows laptop and an android phone. I can get the foddahs on some of them but not all of them at this time.

Go raibh maith agat for your time and attention!

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

I just want to express gratitude to AusShoshana for posting about these Free Irish Classes here. It has been such a boon for me!

What classes are you all doing? I have enrolled in two Zoom classes.

Starting to Learn / Réamhrang – session 2 by Zoom. Gearóid Ó Ceallaigh. Fridays at 8PM New York Time from February 3, 2023 to June 16, 2023. Covering Far East, Oceania, and Americas. Identical to Session 1, beginners begin here.

PII (Progress In Irish) 1-15 by Zoom. Amrita Pai. Sundays at 5:30 to 6:30AM Seychelles Time from February 5, 2023 through June 11, 2023, which is Saturdays at 9:30PM New York Time from February 4, 2023 through June 10, 2023. Covering Far East, Oceania, and Americas.

I would love to participate in the Internet Meme class but I think that is 4am in the morning. I have such a good Irish meme to go here but I can't get it to paste in.

Bun-leibhéal / Basic Level.

Starting to Learn / Réamhrang – session 1 by Zoom. Gearóid Ó Ceallaigh. Fridays at 1PM New York Time from February 3, 2023 to June 16, 2023. Covering Europe, Near East, and Americas.Beginners begin here.

Starting to Learn / Réamhrang – session 2 by Zoom. Gearóid Ó Ceallaigh. Fridays at 8PM New York Time from February 3, 2023 to June 16, 2023. Covering Far East, Oceania, and Americas. Identical to Session 1, beginners begin here.

Irish Song Study Group by Zoom. Donna Charielle 7 Gwen de Buitléir. Saturdays at 5PM New York Time from February 18, 2023 to June 10, 2023. Covering Europe, Oceania, and Americas. Focused on beginning to intermediate level but all are welcome.

Irish Song Study Group. Donna Charielle. In person in the AOH Hall in Babylon NY meeting on Wednesdays at 7:15PM New York Time from February 1, 2023 through June 7, 2023. Focused on beginning to intermediate level but all are welcome.

Irish Language Internet Memes by Zoom. Bréanann Ó Catháin. For anyone including beginners meeting on Thursdays at 6PM in Ireland, 1PM New York Time from February 2, 2023 through June 15, 2023. Covering Europe, Near East, and Americas.

PII (Progress In Irish) 1-15 by Zoom. Amrita Pai. Sundays at 5:30 to 6:30AM Seychelles Time from February 5, 2023 through June 11, 2023, which is Saturdays at 9:30PM New York Time from February 4, 2023 through June 10, 2023. Covering Far East, Oceania, and Americas.

PII (Progress In Irish) 1-15 in person. Séamas Ó Neachtain. This is an in-person class at Scoil Ghaeilge Ghearóid Tóibín (The Gerry Tobin Irish Language School) meeting on Wednesdays at 8PM New York Time from February 1, 2023 to June 14, 2023 at the AOH Hall at 27 Locust Avenue, Babylon, New York.

PII (Progress In Irish) 16-30 by Zoom. Éamonn de Bhál. Saturdays at 4PM New York Time from February 4, 2023 to June 10, 2023. Covering Europe and Americas.

PII 16-30. In person in the AOH Hall in Babylon, NY. Liam Ó hOdhráin. Wednesdays at 8PM NY Time from February 1, 2023 through June 14, 2023.

PII 1-30 Study Group by Zoom. Patrick Hanley. Tuesdays at 3PM Central Time (4PM New York Time) and Thursdays at 8PM Central Time (9PM New York Time) from February 7, 2023 through June 15, 2023. Covering Europe, Far East, Oceania, and Americas.

https://groups.io/g/philo-celtic-society

There's also intermediate and advanced classes. I am just a beginner at this stage!

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

These classes start soon.

I have been sick with a chest infection. So I haven't replied to all my emails!

I am so excited though!

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

Hello Folks,

I have joined a few classes on another device so I am just trying to work out how to get through the 87 emails and also transfer this forum on to my iPad.

So if you have emailed and I have not yet replied I do apologise!

I started my Facebook Page specifically for learning Irish, if anyone wants to add me let me know and I will private message you my Facebook detailes.

Sorry I am a bit disorganised. I am trying to keep all my Gaelic Learning on one device to avoid too much confusion.

I start 11am today! I am SO excited!

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

Is this starting in about 40 minutes?

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

I turned up to the class 24 hours early LOL!

I got to meet Jerry the teacher!

LMAO!

I got Zoom to work so that is a bonus!

AusShoshana
Australia

Post by AusShoshana »

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

I went to a class with Jerry the Beginner's 8 pm New York time which was 11am Brisbane, Time. It was great.

I also attended another class yesterday which if I hadn't turned up 24 hours to early I would have missed out. That was a guy called Patrick. He was nice. We were working on Progress In Irish, page 22 or 23 I think. That was great. I think that class is Progress in Irish 1-30. He does another class as well. I will got to this other class because of the below Tasmanian class! Patrick got a private tutor to help get himself ahead.

At the same time there is an Tasmanina course (Friday) at 12noon which I missed because I like had 80 plus emails in my new email account and I got overwhelmed. But I will go to that one next week.

I have signed up for six classes so far, so I will got to them and see how I go. I am thinking the more classes that I do, the quicker some of it will stick in my brain.

I am still doing Duolingo and watching Ros Na Run but can only pick one or two words here and there.

AusShoshana
Australia

Post by AusShoshana »

Goodness

6 classes???? Well done you

I’ll be attending the progress in Irish 1-15 this morning Seychelles time 5:30am… a lazy 9:30am AWST 🤣🤣🤣

CaítlinMorrigan
Australia

Post by CaítlinMorrigan »

Hello AusShoshana!

Would that be 11.30am in Brisbane, Australia?

Loving learning Gaeilge.

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

AusShoshana wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:56 pm

Goodness

6 classes???? Well done you

I’ll be attending the progress in Irish 1-15 this morning Seychelles time 5:30am… a lazy 9:30am AWST 🤣🤣🤣

That was good! I liked Amirita!

Nice to meet! I will look out for any more weekend classes that might interest you!

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

CaítlinMorrigan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:58 am

Hello AusShoshana!

Would that be 11.30am in Brisbane, Australia?

Sea thosaigh an rang ag 11.30am Brisbane am! (Yes the class began at 11.30am Brisbane time!)

CaítlinMorrigan
Australia

Post by CaítlinMorrigan »

Go raibh maith agat!

Loving learning Gaeilge.

Ruaidh
Ireland

Post by Ruaidh »

The Irish Language Association of Australia runs online classes via Zoom on Tuesday and Wednesday night. It used to be only face to face classes in Melbourne but once COVID struck, they went to online and have continued to do so post-COVID

Tuesday: advanced class (full immersion usually)
Wednesday: Beginner and Intermediate.

Hoiwever, they are not free but the cost is minimal, $45pa for membership (compulsory), and $40 per term for classes. You can get discounts for paying for the year or 3 or 2 terms in advance. It's probably the cheapest you will find. All the instructors are either native Irish speakers or are fluent Irish speakers.
Beginner and Intermediate classes generally use the Gaeilge gan Stró texts (Beginner/Lower Intermediate) with each instructor adding in different resources.

You can find more information at https://gaeilge.org.au.

Caitlin
Australia

Post by Caitlin »

Ruaidh wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:47 am

The Irish Language Association of Australia runs online classes via Zoom on Tuesday and Wednesday night. It used to be only face to face classes in Melbourne but once COVID struck, they went to online and have continued to do so post-COVID

Tuesday: advanced class (full immersion usually)
Wednesday: Beginner and Intermediate.

Hoiwever, they are not free but the cost is minimal, $45pa for membership (compulsory), and $40 per term for classes. You can get discounts for paying for the year or 3 or 2 terms in advance. It's probably the cheapest you will find. All the instructors are either native Irish speakers or are fluent Irish speakers.
Beginner and Intermediate classes generally use the Gaeilge gan Stró texts (Beginner/Lower Intermediate) with each instructor adding in different resources.

You can find more information at https://gaeilge.org.au.

Go raibh maith agat for that information Ruaidh!

That sounds like there are some great options there! I will be sure to look into it!

Which classes are you in at the moment Ruaidh!

Return to “Labhraím Gaeilge”