Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Bug ? Duolingo XP changes 1-6-2023.

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Saperlipopette!

Bug ? Duolingo XP changes 1-6-2023.

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Duolingo XP changes

Duolingo changed some XP scoring on some of its lessons. I think they introduced a bug.

New Review Lessons

In the snake, Duolingo put in these review lessons that "review words and grammar taught across levels". I think it's a marketing gimmick. This lesson 138-3 contains practice questions taught from 138-2 and 138-1, not from various lessons in the snake.

If you look at Exhibit Four you can see how to identify these lessons. They have a dumbbell but are new lessons. You have to complete them if you want to advance on the snake. What I think they do is bridge the gap between three levels on the snake and five levels on the tree. These kinds of practice used to be awarded 15 XP max since they introduced the snake in September. Exhibit 6 shows the XP stated before the lesson is +10, which usually means 10 plus 1-5 bonus. Exhibit 5 shows the lesson complete screen says 15 will be awarded.

The last 2 times I did these lessons they were awarded 5xp. See exhibit seven at 13:57:37 and exhibit one at 19:12:18.

Already completed lessons

If you practiced an already completed lesson, like I did from 21:00 to 22:00, you would get lesson complete screen like exhibit 2 if you did it on the app, and like exhibit 3 if you did it on the web. However, Duome used to add the bonus for the app lesson and the XP on the lesson complete screen would not match duome and Duo for schools.

You may not like how they fixed it, though. The same lesson worth 5XP on the app is worth 10XP on the web. We've had XP disparities before in web vs app, but Duolingo closed up a lot of those disparities in switching to the snake. I think it's a illogical solution to solving the technical problem.

It's possible both items are related because the changes occured at the same time & they involve similar issues.

If you're doing new lessons, here is what you should do.

1. If you get a dumbbell lesson look at the XP promised and the XP awarded on the lesson complete screen. I'd expect anything from 11-15.

2. Look at what you are actually awarded in duome when finishing the lesson. I think you will see 5.

3. Submit a bug through the form I've linked or through the help center if the XP awarded does not equal xp promised.

If the practice thing concerns you, here is what you should do.

1. Pick one old lesson and do it on the app. You can choose 44-2 Make offers and requests as I did which is the old skill 3.22 at home 3 or anything you've completed.

2. Do the same lesson on the web. I'd expect you to find the XP on the lesson complete screen to equal the XP awarded, so it is not a bug per se, but it comes under the category of "If you think that Duolingo is not behaving as expected, we would appreciate it if you'd let us know." The XP awarded on the web is different for the same thing on the app.

My examples are fr-en but everything is supposed to work the same in all languages. Of course if you test as I've asked in your language and are not noticing these problems, don't submit a bug report. I'd also thank you personally for helping out another Duolingerer by putting in the effort to test and discover the magnitude of the issue.

My goal here is to see if others have the problem (I'm sure it can't be just me) and to get bug reports into Duo to put pressure on them to fix this.

Exhibit 1

Exhibit 2

Exhibit 3

Exhibit 4

Exhibit 5

Exhibit 6

Exhibit 7

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saperlipopette!

Re: Bug ? Duolingo XP changes 1-6-2023.

FYI, if you do these lessons on the web, it works just as expected: promised (20xp +, exhibit one), lesson completed (25 XP, exhibit 2), Duome (25xp, exhibit three).

Bug is with the app.

Exhibit One

Exhibit Two

Exhibit Three

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AjitPlays2549
Russia

Re: New xp grind

Post by AjitPlays2549 »

I found that if you got to the golden mode, you could wait till you get to 20xp, and then purposefully fail, then you can do it again. (Only works on the browser version of duolingo.)

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

Post by Anitarrc »

There must be yet another bug. Recently I come across some sad idiots who do 20,000 xp in a day without ever making progress. https://duome.eu/chelorio/progress
They often get 60Xp in a minute.

It could be a snake 🐍 feature which I don't use.
Actually I couldn't care less about XPs now. Just want to finish some trees before they block it completely.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

On the old tree when you practiced a single (completely learned) L1+ skill Duolingo would either give 0XP if it was over-practiced (patch against Legue cheating), full amount or slightly reduced XPs for 1-2/3 more Practices until that skill was marked as overused.

Is that somehow related to a path and how lessons and vocabulary map back to old skills?
How does the old "patched code" Practice work for the snake or was it eliminated and reengineered from the ground up.

Maybe you can take a look next time if it's always 5Xp or only when you've "overworked" some of those words or if you may receive full or reduced XPs.

Maybe developers have copied over some of their old code which doesn't integrate that well for those round bubbles which shall give you the "personalized reviews across levels"??

Just an idea....

In case they threw away everything it either might be a new bug (worth a bug report) or some intended behavior affecting the practice and associated words.

Do you at least come across unique words and sentences, or so they get repeated too?

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I have only just started using the old tree method. I have always used the app for my convenience. I did notice one odd thing. I came of the tree and open the app and was disappointed that I had not earnt any points. I did a couple of lessons whilst waiting for my car to warm up and collected a few points. I Then opened the app at work whilst waiting for the kettle to boil and my points had shot up.

It was one of those moments where I doubted myself. I thought it was odd but then thought it was me. Now I think that the two are not syncing at the same speed. I'm not even sure I could recreate to test the theory.

One thing I do notice as a by the way. I sail through the lessons with hardly any mistakes on the tree method. I put it down to being distracted in some way by the annoying art work on the app.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Saperlipopette!

Anitarrc wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Recently I come across some sad idiots who do 20,000 xp in a day without ever making progress.

Said idiot appears to be a Duolingo Story Reader. 28xp to click on ten m/c questions.
Lowest of the Low. Total XP miner.

About two years ago, they tried to put a stop to it. If you read the same story a certain amount of times, they reduce the XP to five or so. They kinda had a bug in he way they did it because they would reduce all stories read that day to five.

A ton of people left, I said good riddance, but I think Duo wanted them back to read stories and watch ads. So they cut out the XP chopping on stories back then.

I thought the snake has cut that out. You can get 38 XP to read a new story and write about it (which is kinda fun). But that's once and later reads are 5xp, just like repeating lessons.

I agree with you that they ought to be called out, but I think the mods here will remove the link if you don't.

Saperlipopette!

AjitPlays2549 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:44 pm

I found that if you got to the golden mode, you could wait till you get to 20xp, and then purposefully fail, then you can do it again. (Only works on the browser version of duolingo.)

I think I know what you're talking about. When you do a legendary lesson, in the middle you get 20xp for being halfway there. (I still think of Bon Jovi when writing halfway there... ). Then you can flunk the lesson. I thought you can do that n'importe où... browser, app, etc.

I suppose that is a way to cheat at leagues. I think some people have to pay lingots to do legendary lessons...

Personally I don't like to do a legendary until I have a good idea I can ace it.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:37 pm
AjitPlays2549 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:44 pm

I think I know what you're talking about. When you do a legendary lesson, in the middle you get 20xp for being halfway there. (I still think of Bon Jovi when writing halfway there... ). Then you can flunk the lesson. I thought you can do that n'importe où... browser, app, etc.

I suppose that is a way to cheat at leagues. I think some people have to pay lingots to do legendary lessons...

Personally I don't like to do a legendary until I have a good idea I can ace it.

When don't need lingots, its a good way to see how far you can get. You do end up with a lot of xp in the process. If you can half way that's great!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saperlipopette!

I just did a couple of New Practices lessons on the snake today for 139-7. They call this practice across all levels but it's really practice for the lessons I've done since the last practice session on the snake.

I had a real wtf? moment too when I got a Listen and Respond question with the subjunctive past.

Luc est descendu de cette montagne dangereuse en ski. Je suis étonné qu'il ne se soit pas cassé une jambe mais c'est un professionnel. Luc ne s'est pas blessé.

Becherelle. Qu'est-ce que c'est le subjonctif passé ?

I'm not sure about the spelling. They don't write out the read and respond questions and we haven't been taught Subjunctive passé. I don't know if il ne se soit cassé makes sense. Becherelle doesn't have the table in the video for pronominal verbs. The other stuff I hope it's right, we've been taught that.

Subjunctive passé didn't even make sense until Becherelle explained it. I couldn't figure out how you can have uncertainty for something that already happened. Either it did happen or it didn't and if you don't know, what are you talking about it for ?

Anyway: XP promised, 15. XP delivered, 5. I think for the third lesson I'm going to do it on the web for the 15. I don't think they have double timers after these lessons.

On the bright side I had a great Happy Hour session. Ten Lessons with perfect XP. I think I missed two questions out of the 160. It adds up to seventy extra XP, ten lessons plus four under the timer that get happy hour XP doubled.

![](

The green arrows were what I sent Duo in my bug report. "You brag about making characters mouths moving, but you can't make XP on the lesson complete screen equal XP awarded." They've screwed this up in one way or other since the summer of 2022.

Valentina
Argentina

Post by Valentina »

Cap wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:19 am

Why do users even care about XP?
I personally don't see the point when using the browser version.
To reach your daily goal you can set it down to 1 XP.
Leagues are for competition, not for progress in learning a new languages.
Legendary level - well, maybe the only thing that you need lingots for (other that freeze your streak).

I've collected far more than 50.000 XPs until now but they're worth nothing. The only thing that matters is how far my language abilties have improved.
Just my 2 cents about all this fuss about XPs.

I thought I didn't care about XP, but it turns out it was at least motivating me a little bit.
Good thing it's not that important to me because according to their app, I never earn ANY XP from actual learning, only from their little chests or their daily/monthly tasks. It's a bit annoying if only because if it worked I may feel a bit more inspired to stay through their 15 mins of double XP they show me twice a day, but since I don't earn anything at all (even when the picture shows me "you just earned 80 XP" (sometimes more), the number doesn't change at all.

And I wouldn't know where to find it on the website if my life depended on it, nor how to use their daily 'early bird' etc boosters that I see on the app.

I'm new to Duolingo, but they are so hyped about the gaming and the leagues etc, that it is annoying when they don't work at all.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Valentina[/mention] That's great that you found us even though you only just joined Duolingo. It sounds like this forum is gaining more traction online. Welcome to Doume. If your XP is not accumulating, I would recommend putting in a bug report with Duolingo. I tried looking at your Duome page and all I got was a blank. I don't know if you have a different username on Duolingo to the one you're using here. You need your Duolingo username to plug into Duome.eu/username goes here to see that.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Saperlipopette!

She might be mixing up XP and gems/lingots. You get gems when you click on the chests, or lingots if you click on them in the web. You get gems for completing your daily quests. You also get gems for friends Quest. I don't recall getting gems for the capstone reviews, only timers.

Valentina
Argentina

Post by Valentina »

I may well be mixing up these gamey things - gems and XP. XP is the league thing, yes? My Duo user name is long: Valentina_soy_yo & my duome page works great. I did finally take a ton of screenshots of non-changing XP in the league list and a bunch of screenshots of them telling me that I was earning XP, (with no change on the league list amount of XP) then send them to Duolingo bug reports. Thanks for the link.

I know it worked until one of the most recent app updates, because I got an award for a league early on. I'm sure it will be fixed in an update soon. As I said, I wouldn't care if it didn't exist, but because it does, I seem to care even though I don't want to care, and I would tell myself I don't care if I hadn't accidentally learned otherwise. 🫢

As for finding you guys, I asked on #langtwt on Twitter about the lack of a place to find answers about things that seem like they would be asked constantly (specific to phrases or sentences on Duolingo,) and a lovely person on Twitter told me where to find you guys. Thanks for the welcome.

Saperlipopette!

Duolingo put in an XP change. A dumbbell practice on the snake is now 15 XP. The checkmark practice is still ten XP. I think those are maximum scores, and they could be lower due to a lower bonus if you get them wrong. I don't know. I did three practice lessons and got nothing wrong.

![](

I've put an arrow next to 28-8, you can't see it well, it's a dumbbell practice, but the button is hidden by the purple. I put an arrow next to 28-4 which is also a dumbbell practice. 28-8 gives you questions from two skills--the one covered by 28-6, 3.03 Shopping 2, and 28-5, 3.02 Grocery Shopping.

The lesson complete screen still says 5 XP so you can't go by that. Go by duome or Duo for schools.

I also did 29-8 and got 15 XP. I don't really like this change because it encourages XP nerfing. I'm not in leagues, though, so I don't care too much. I'll still use the hearts button for most of my practice and have birdbrain pick the skill I'm practicing.

I'm going to report this, not for the XP change, but because those morons can't match the XP on the lesson complete screen with duome and Duo for schools. But the XP will come up and Duolingo may decide that's not intended. They never test anything before releasing it so there's all sorts of unintended consequences to their programming adjustments.

If you use these features more, feel free to comment if it's different from the examples I've tested. I'm assuming 15 XP for all dumbbell practice on the snake, 10 XP for all checkmark practice.

Oh, I think I may have just realized why they did this. The new dumbbell lessons were only handing out five XP. So rather then fixing the new lessons they changed the XP for all dumbbell practices.

Saperlipopette!

I tested out the Personalized Practice changes on the APP for new lessons, and here's what's going on.

When you click on the pod in the snake, it promises +20 XP for completing the 3rd level of 139-8, a lesson called Personalized practice. This lesson is actually questions from 139-5, Discuss Home Repairs (which is the old skill 9.01 Services) and 139-6, Talk about your Family (the old skill 8.27 Families). See Exhibit A.

I clicked on the lesson, did the questions, and got to the Lesson Complete screen in Exhibit B. Here it says Level Completed because it is the 3rd of 3, instead of Lesson Complete. It would also be nice if the Lesson Complete screen told you what lesson you completed, so I just added it & the time stamp myself on the screenshot.
Fifteen XP isn't the 20+ XP that was promised in Exhibit A so here we go again.

The next check is Duome to see what XP is actually awarded. This is in Exhibit C & notice how handy that the time stamp I put on the screenshot of the Lesson Complete screen is. 20:20:34 is 10:20 PM, so the bug here is that the XP promised before I started the lesson is not equal XP awarded when the lesson is completed. The red box is what I put on the screenshot to show Duolingo how to check their programming changes when I report the bug.

I think on the web you actually get the 20XP that's promised, so you have a choice to make before starting the lesson. Do I do it on the APP for 15 XP or the web for 25XP ? Another thing that comes into play in making the choice is that the APP awarded a timer, which the web doesn't do.

Exhibit A

![](

Exhibit B

![](

Exhibit C

![](

Valentina
Argentina

Post by Valentina »

I've been trekking around Peru without much WiFi for the last couple of months, so apologies for not thanking you sooner! Thanks so much for all the checking and information! I will do some detective work when I get back to my home away from home in Buenos Aires.

Gunslinger
United States of America

Post by Gunslinger »

Hi, What I believe is happening is they're count time towards your XPs. It seems that when I go slow, like I stop to answer a text, I get less points than if I go my normal pace. It also feels as if I can get more if crank through lesson fast. BTW, I'm not sure I buy into being able to go fast is making me learn better. For example, I can look for grammatic clues and fill in the blanks.

I posted this in a new thread, and it was moved to this old thread. viewtopic.php?p=49286-how-to-progress-in-leagues#p49286

What's confusing me more is how all of a sudden people are scoring tons of points? After a couple of months in the diamond league I was dropped down to the obsidian league while make consistently the same points. I generally have been in the D league and occasionally dropped down on busy weeks. Now I'm in the obsidian league and doing what I've done for a long time, over 3 years now, I'm not even going to get close to being promoted. Did the "gamers" find a loophole to give them lots of points?

Saperlipopette!

Your topic probably got moved here by mistake. How the hell... is a better fit, or Have the bots..., or How to progress..., or a myriad of other similar posts. I think there should be a subforum about leagues and xp for these posts because they always end up getting moved. People ought to have a place to talk about leagues and strategy and what not, and if that's not your thing, then just don't read that sub forum. We're not there yet, so I'm going to answer your question best as I can about how you're placed in leagues based on my experience. Keep in mind though, that there's really no answer. I'll explain that in a sec.

This thread, which would probably be in that subforum I talked about too, is mostly about bugs where Duo says that your award is one thing on the lesson complete screen but the actually award something else when you see the actual awards in duome or Duo for schools. Duo screwed this up last spring when they decided the rollout with the snake would not include the practice of previously completed lessons, so they took out all sorts of intelligence related to that. They went live with the snake in late August and realized than in feedback from actual users that this was a serious omission and a major league gaffe. But that meant they had to put that code back in quickly and one of the real illogical parts of the new code is that XP in the lesson complete screen is computed differently, and in a different place, than the XP actually awarded.

XP, btw, doesn't have anything to do with the time it takes to complete the lessons we're talking about here. If it takes ten minutes or five minutes, you get full XP if you run the table. XP varies due to the bonus, and that's only affected by things marked wrong. There are timed practices that you get if you're on the app in a league that are based on time, but I'm not talking about those here.

For your question, Duolingo doesn't say how you're placed in a league. I checked the Leaderboards document in the Help Center and it's very vague other than you are with 29 other people in your league. I vaguely remember a blog at one time saying you're placed in a league with 29 other 'similar' Duolingo users. But this is how Duolingo does things. It's TEGWAR. ThE Game Without Any Rules. It makes them up as they go along. If you don't like it, you can file a bug report. I actually got them to update their Help Center a few years ago by ridiculing some seriously-out-of-date documents, but Duolingo is just not transparent, for whatever reason, and very vague with it's published rules about games. Did you ever read their blurb on cheating? "We'll know it when we see it, and we'll delete your account if you do it." Now, it's "we'll put you on double secret probation if you're a plus member because, after all, you paid to cheat, so why should we be surprised when you do."

In my experience with leagues, I did at least 2K a week and got placed in a diamond league with other players who did that or more. If you do 2K a week for 52 weeks that's 100k XP a year, and you're end of year report will say you're in the top .1 % of users. So in a pool of 50 million Duolingo daily users, you're one of 50,000.

That meant that sometimes those leagues would get competitive. You used to be able to do your work and not have any demotion zone concerns when it was fifty people in a league and 5 in the demotion zone. Same thing when it was 30/3. But when they made it 5 demoted in a 30 person league, and they put numbers on how many weeks you were in that league, it got competitive on occasion.

I wondered why I was in a league with 50% of more plus cheaters and other people piling up nerfed XP by doing Unit 1 and Unit 2 lessons or reading a dozen stories a day. They weren't using Duolingo in a similar way to me at all, but we all had similar XP. So in my opinion, when you do your first lesson in the week, Duolingo has sub-leagues within the diamond league to figure out who you're going to be in a league with based on Xp. Probably twenty different sub-leagues depending on your XP last week and maybe some twerk for avg XP over the last month. The next thirty in that subgroup to complete a lesson for the week are in the same league. I'd get in the top .1% subgroup, and there'd be people there with 10K XP the past week and the like. It's all the same to Duo.

Anyway, that's how it seemed to work for me. If you didn't want to get demoted, you'd have to keep your eye on things and maybe do a few extra lessons.

I used to make it a point to sign on Sunday night near the end of leagues. Maybe one or two green lights in the top 20 but three or four in the bottom ten. That's the point... people in the demotion zone will sometime do just enough to stay out of it, and it's up to you to keep ahead of them and make it so you're not the guy who gets demoted if it's important to you.

You can't understand it because it's based on the emotion of those in the bottom ten, and how badly they want to stay out of the demotion zone.

Gunslinger
United States of America

Post by Gunslinger »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:58 am

In my experience with leagues, I did at least 2K a week and got placed in a diamond league with other players who did that or more. If you do 2K a week for 52 weeks that's 100k XP a year, and you're end of year report will say you're in the top .1 % of users. So in a pool of 50 million Duolingo daily users, you're one of 50,000.

Anyway, that's how it seemed to work for me. If you didn't want to get demoted, you'd have to keep your eye on things and maybe do a few extra lessons.

I used to make it a point to sign on Sunday night near the end of leagues. Maybe one or two green lights in the top 20 but three or four in the bottom ten. That's the point... people in the demotion zone will sometime do just enough to stay out of it, and it's up to you to keep ahead of them and make it so you're not the guy who gets demoted if it's important to you.

You can't understand it because it's based on the emotion of those in the bottom ten, and how badly they want to stay out of the demotion zone.

I've been on Duo for 3+ years now. I'm not really concerned about being bounced around between Obsidian and Diamond league. But I am curious on what's going on the last couple of weeks. In the thread I linked to someone else notice the really high XPs people are getting.

Like you, I typically get 2k+ XP a week and usually hover around 10-20 in the Diamond league. On travel weeks I would get dropped down to Obsidian. A week or two later I'd be back.

Then all of a sudden I'm seeing 10K++ in the D league and the almost 10K in the Obsidian. I have a routine that works well for me and I stick with it. I'm sure I could tweak what I do to get more points. But I don't think I'd learn as much.

A few extra lessons or going legendary (which I gave up on in the new version, it's too hard scroll backwards when you're on lesson 125) and optimizing how to use DPs would only get me into the 3500 range. But that was rarity for me, like a holiday weekend/vacation.

I also look at the time I put in when I would get that many XPs and I think they must have found a loophole. I can't imagine putting in 3x, or more, time than I am to score that high. Something happened. I'll probably never know.

Saperlipopette!

505 XP in an hour. I couldn't nerf like this before the snake. Even raised my strength percentage by a point.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Saperlipopette! Here I am, getting measly 9XPS and 6XPS since the snake! What are doing?

Saperlipopette!

Friend Quest buddy sent me a timer & then I used the new three-day night owl thirty minute double XP timer. A few weeks ago I discovered guilded grammar lessons were worth fifteen XP & you can see here they haven't done anything about it. But the characters mouths move when they speak so all is well.

Too many mistakes here, as you can see six non-thirty XP lessons, but that happens when under the timer. I'm trying to create the environment that causes people to block when speaking -- the pressure of coming up with an immediate answer in conversation without being able to resort to looking things up. If I can manage that pressure when writing, then it's easy to manage it when speaking.

The last one was a hearts practice that is worth 15. Dumbbell practice is ten (the first two on the screen) and specific guilded skills are ten except the aforementioned grammar skills.

Saperlipopette!

I did some completed exercises on the app to test the accounting. The first picture is the snake for unit 77. 77-1 is the old skill 5.20 Sports 2, 77-3 is the old skill 5.23 Rescue. 77-4 is what the syllabus calls Practice Across All Levels, but you get the questions from the skill 77-1 and 77-3. The treasure chest isn't numbered in our guides so I go by what they do.

Snake

Duome lists the completed lessons. The three lessons with the skill attached are the grammar lessons. They're worth 15 XP. The one at 14:42 and the one at 16:04 were completed skills. They were 77-3 and 77-1. Worth ten. The item at 16:15 was from doing 77-4 on the snake. Worth 15.

Duome

When I completed each lesson I got the Lesson Complete! screen. It doesn't say Lesson Complete! anymore but that's what I call it because that's what it used to say. All five look like the one I depicted except a different time, so I didn't print all five pictures.

Lesson Complete screen

The XP awarded doesn't equal the XP on the lesson complete screen. It's been broken for a year so you can't buy anything on the lesson complete screen. The time is figayse too because it doesn't count the time you've gone to a different session to update notes or cheat by looking for the sentence from the old forums.

You get ten XP for practicing a completed skill
You get 15 XP for practicing a grammar skill, or 15 XP the practice built in the snake. I think they're all worth ten on the web. Just for comparison sake, a hearts practice is worth 15xp and a dumbbell is worth ten.

You'd get a little less if you didn't run the table. I think it should say "You practiced the skill Discuss Emergencies" instead of "You made no mistakes in this lesson." For the practice they could say "You practiced Discuss Emergencies and Comment on Sports." or even "You practiced 77-1 and 77-3." That could also be passed to the file that Duome uses to give us better info on what we're practicing.

I think 15 for practicing a grammar skill is overvalued. But they do affect the strength percentage, so that's one reason to do them. 15 for practicing two or three different skills at the same time might be fair, but there's still a big temptation to nerf. I think ten is more fair, and if you really want to make things fair, make the grammar worth five. But my complaint on these to Duo is that the accounting is wrong.

Gunslinger
United States of America

Post by Gunslinger »

Gunslinger wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:27 am

I've been on Duo for 3+ years now. I'm not really concerned about being bounced around between Obsidian and Diamond league. But I am curious on what's going on the last couple of weeks. In the thread I linked to someone else notice the really high XPs people are getting.

Like you, I typically get 2k+ XP a week and usually hover around 10-20 in the Diamond league. On travel weeks I would get dropped down to Obsidian. A week or two later I'd be back.

Then all of a sudden I'm seeing 10K++ in the D league and the almost 10K in the Obsidian. I have a routine that works well for me and I stick with it. I'm sure I could tweak what I do to get more points. But I don't think I'd learn as much.

A few extra lessons or going legendary (which I gave up on in the new version, it's too hard scroll backwards when you're on lesson 125) and optimizing how to use DPs would only get me into the 3500 range. But that was rarity for me, like a holiday weekend/vacation.

I also look at the time I put in when I would get that many XPs and I think they must have found a loophole. I can't imagine putting in 3x, or more, time than I am to score that high. Something happened. I'll probably never know.

OK, I've gone full circle again.... After seeing really high scores and being demoted I'm back in the Diamond League. No idea how that happened. It seems like an endless circle.

Return to “Duolingo”