Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Restarting subscription advice

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

amanofgodforever
France

Restarting subscription advice

Post by amanofgodforever »

Does anyone know - If I cancel my full-price Duolingo Plus (as Google still calls it) subscription today, would I be able to get the 60% off Duolingo is claiming to offer if I sign up fro Super Duolingo tomorrow? Or would that not work because I wouldn't be a 'new' subscriber so would get the full price? Thanks!

amanofgodforever
France

Re: Restarting subscription advice

Well, I cancelled it and have a new email taking me to the link that offers 60% off (which is lower than the subscription renewal would have been). I haven't done it yet, but strangely, although Duolingo seems to have reverted to being non super, I haven't encountered any ads yet and still have unlimited hearts...

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

You're in a school classroom.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Duolingo staff is also offering their discounts to those users, who like me, are on the old tree concept.

Maybe I would even pay a one-time (lifetime) fee to be able to continue using this.
Best with userscript support.
I really like it, especially the 5-6 crowns third dimension which brought back many longer and more difficult - previously suspended - sentences with higher user error rates.
Was very welcome that change in 2018.

So yes, I can see this new ad in my web account.
I find this asking price of 71€ plus Vat here in EU/DE kinda "interesting" when I compare it with other BlackFriday offers like 34-45€ Busuu (50-60% off), Mosalingua 99€ plus Vat lifetime language bundle, StoryLearning, BitSize, Ouino languages (under 100€ lifetime, the whole French/Spanish course), etc.

When those Duolingo users sign up to a yearly Duolingo subscription for a product they currently see and can test in their account (and maybe even like) developers and business analysts will be cutting out the old tree code and replace it within the next days/weeks/months with the forced path update.

I read the AMA reply from Dr. Luis von Ahn on Reddit.
They won't keep the tree, not in parallel.

How does this make any sense??
I would completely feel ripped off as a paying user.

Gone are the shady marketing discussion threads as the community forum was closed.
But we have been complaining for years that their yearly discount offer is just fake and calculated from a monthly price (which is always too high), or even with artificially increased prices before. Staff never reacted to those complains in a more honest open way.
All the next years marketing runs use the same tactics.

Well, for THAT monthly price I could get something else, for sure.

At least Busuu's discount price is more honest and really calculuted from the asked yearly price (auto renew if not turned off and unubacribed again in the Paypal settings).

I think a free app plattform as ChatterBug is with the free language videos from native speakers on "Streams" would deserve some more user support and donations.
It's a good project.
The Web cirriculum only offers one private teacher lesson for that minimum monthly price of 20€ but seems to offer a different language access and training (haven't tried Web lessons).

..(...)..

Donations for former course contributors:
If anybody wants to open a fundraiser for the former En->Portuguese course contributor and moderator team, I'm in. I learned a lot in the last six years because of them.
I'm also in for the De->Fr and En->Fr contributors (tree3 from 2018) who wrote all the Web T&N.

Who pays those subscription costs at this time with the old tree or with the new path IMHO just sets the wrong signals to the company at the moment.

They (Duolingo) better accept the Change petition which several users have already signed.

Does this answer your question if you should continue paying for Plus and or to cancel and repay for Super with the new offer?

A lot of users signed up for a Family pack the last years.
Doesn't help, you'll be forced into the path no matter what.

I had seen it this year for a quick time. My Portuguese trophy was taken away, a lot was grey/locked.
Don't want to work on this basis and even pay dor this.

Maybe give your hard earned money to LingoLegend (Ios and Android gamified learning) or Fluyo (Ikenna, kickstarter will be there soon). They can need it better.

Sorry for having to speak clear words.

My 2 cents

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

amanofgodforever
France

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:13 am

You're in a school classroom.

What difference does this make?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

It gives you unlimited hearts/health, no ads, access to Xp Ramp Up Challenge, the other 40Xp timed challenge, stable Non-A/B language courses/trees, word lists (old versions), possibility to switch to the old tree design in the classroom settings, at least for now

amanofgodforever
France

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:28 am

It gives you unlimited hearts/health, no ads, access to Xp Ramp Up Challenge, the other 40Xp timed challenge, stable Non-A/B language courses/trees, word lists (old versions), possibility to switch to the old tree design in the classroom settings, at least for now

So why would anyone get super duolingo if you can just create your own classroom to be in and get all the benefits? I feel like I'm missing something here...?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

You're not missing anything.

I can't say for sure if Legendary crown level 6 is totally free or not in a classroom or if Lingots or Gems maybe are automatically subtracted in the background.
At least there is no annoying popup payment screen.
Same for the other second League challenge.
Maybe Gems are subtracted in the background without a specific prompt, could be,.. would have to more carefully watch them.

You're of course free to pay for a yearly (Super) subscription and sponsor the company (linguists, app devs, animations crew, server farm, admins to keep it running,..) if you truly want.

I can't redirect my money directly to the former Portuguese and French course contributor and sentence discussion moderator teams.
Don't feel like sponsoring staff for taking so many things away or constantly corrupting userscripts compatibility.
Can't even use the EN<-PT reverse tree (now being developed in house, aligned with CEFR levels and extended by their own linguistic team for a while with multiple tree extensions) without Camilo's Tree Enhancer userscript (Tampermonkey, Web), and surely not with their new path/snake design.

amanofgodforever
France

So if I'm understanding correctly, I previously paid for a Plus subscription so that I wouldn't have limited hearts or ads, and would get tests and legendary access, etc, but in reality I could have just joined a classroom and would have gotten all of those things for free? And that means that anyone could get the Super Duolingo features without paying for them? Or have I misunderstood this?

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

amanofgodforever wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:40 pm

So if I'm understanding correctly, I previously paid for a Plus subscription so that I wouldn't have limited hearts or ads, and would get tests and legendary access, etc, but in reality I could have just joined a classroom and would have gotten all of those things for free? And that means that anyone could get the Super Duolingo features without paying for them? Or have I misunderstood this?

A quick search on google seems to corroborate that. Thank you [mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] for this hint. Is testing out of skills (tree version) also available for free in duolingo schools?

amanofgodforever
France

PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:24 pm

A quick search on google seems to corroborate that. Thank you @Thomas.Heiss for this hint. Is testing out of skills (tree version) also available for free in duolingo schools?

Where did you find this? I tried googling it but didn't find the confirmation you seem to have found.

For me the app is still displaying as the tree (which I set it to do in the classroom settings a while back) and yes the testing out option is still there. Legendary still appears to be free as well (not sure if it subtracts in the background without telling you as I haven't tried, but it's not telling me a lingot/gem price to do so)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

amanofgodforever wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:40 pm

and would have gotten ALL of those things for free? And that means that anyone could get the Super Duolingo features without paying for them?

Maybe not ALL Plus features, but at least a few.
I don't have a finished list here, sorry.

OFFLINE lessons for the whole course, multiple crown skills was the main reason for several users to go with Duolingo Plus, besidea unlimited health and no ads.

Unfortunately this bigger Plus feature with access to full course downloads was removed a while ago.
Android app offers a quite limited cache mode with auto downloads over the night.
At the 1. November my 2.5 Gb worth of cached skill/tree offline data stopped working at a park bench and the old Android app refused to start ANY skill.

Progress quiz also got removed.

Doesn't leave much for a Super subscription if you ask me...

I know how the users with a non constant Umts/Lte/5G connection (I'm on of them, only have WLAN here) must have felt when the full blown OFFLINE Plus feature was removed by staff.

Ouino for example offers the download of a quite big Apk file for their full version (when you're a paying member) around 1.5 Gb so you can always use it on the go and you don't need a smartphone Internet Umts connection anymore.
You can install Apk files (from their server) locally and manually without Google Play store.

As I said, it's a LIFETIME account which neither Duolingo nor Busuu do currently offer.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

So you can get those personalized reviews through schools that you get with super?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Do you mean the max 50 mistakes counter?
No, not this one. Clicking on the Web mistakes (hearts) counter brings a Super popup window.
I don't have personalized reviews on Android or Web.
Don't have the new path. Heard some people were talking about a new Review round button in their snake view. Haven't seen this one.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:00 am

@Corinnebelle Do you mean the max 50 mistakes counter?
No, not this one. Clicking on the Web mistakes (hearts) counter brings a Super popup window.
I don't have personalized reviews on Android or Web.
Don't have the new path. Heard some people were talking about a new Review round button in their snake view. Haven't seen this one.

I'm not sure what's it's called, but it's an extra review. I've never had super to know too much about it.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

amanofgodforever wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:39 pm
PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:24 pm

A quick search on google seems to corroborate that. Thank you @Thomas.Heiss for this hint. Is testing out of skills (tree version) also available for free in duolingo schools?

Where did you find this? I tried googling it but didn't find the confirmation you seem to have found.

I searched something like "duolingo for schools unlimited hearts". This led me straight away to a youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkRm0yp0Vec,

as well as some instructions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/duolingo/comme ... s_on_your/

That was enough evidence for me.

In my opinion it is mockery of the paying customers - taking money and giving nothing in return. Actually the "super" customers are in a worse position as they were given no option to decline the one-path system.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:13 pm

I can't say for sure if Legendary crown level 6 is totally free or not in a classroom or if Lingots or Gems maybe are automatically subtracted in the background.
At least there is no annoying popup payment screen.

I completed L6 of a skill two days ago as a member of a classroom. There really were no screens asking for 10 lingots and no lingots were subtracted from my account for becoming "legendary".

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

Post by Anitarrc »

I really feel like cancelling my subscription. The snake 🐍 and pointless XP hunting games are both putting me off. Add the fact that reporting errors has become pointless since the sentence discussion is gone.
[mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] which version of snake-free Android do you use or recommend? Do you need the classroom to get rid of the snake? I am on 5.65.9

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Anitarrc[/mention]
XP hunting games!

:lol:

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

Just did it

Post by Anitarrc »

This was the comment I submitted at my cancellation

the latest snake version and pointless XP hunting games instead of grammar hints and sentence discussion have really put me off. go and correct the 100s of mistakes in the ES-PT and vice versa course instead of disabling interaction

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Anitarrc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:19 am

which version of snake-free Android do you use or recommend?
I am on 5.65.9

I'm using 5.52.5 from 16. April 2022.

Do you need the classroom to get rid of the snake?

No, is not absolutely required.

But you will get unlimited hearts (no health), no ads and "stable" (older) Non-A/B tree versions (which means you won't see the most cutting edge tree changes too soon).

Also I get the League challenges (not the friends quiz): Lightning round, Ramp Up,..

Unfortunately the old German from English tree with 121 skills is gone and is already replaced with the CEFR version from staff (137 skills).

Disadvantage:
This Android app version doesn't give you free typing below crown level 3.
They force you into word banks on lower crowns (I think including crown level 2 lessons).

For global practice it seems mixed.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Just did it

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Anitarrc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:30 pm

This was the comment I submitted at my cancellation:
...go and correct the 100s of mistakes in the ES-PT and vice versa course...

Thanks for your warning.
Heard that before from a learner in the community forums.

He said Pt->Fr is slightly better for unknown reason, do you agree? Have you maybe quick tested this one too?
I see you added another course from French.

Reminder: They (Pt-Es) were both volunteer contributor courses, created a longer time ago.

The De->Es course had hundreds of thousands of user error reports until Dirk applied as a volunteer and took over.
He cleaned up as much as he could but then they kicked him out in April 2022 (end of volunteer program) so still a lot of reports had to be left in.
I guess it is the same with those two courses and probably much worse without anyone playing a bigger cleanup role like Dirk before.
Could be they (both courses) were not touched for a longer time after those trees were finished and rolled out?!??
Will take for them some time to catch up...or staff starts from scratch with their different CEFR course and snake structure.

Q: Is anyone (paid) actively working on them in maintenance mode, already?
Has any Portuguese or Spanish speaking volunteer applied for a part-time position?

..(...).

How did you like the En->Portuguese (Pt-Br) course?
Last tree updated was summer 2018.

No idea how many PT reports are still outstanding; but course quality IMHO in general wasn't too bad.
Some things also got fixed over all the years and alternative answers are more often in the DB. Sometimes I see complains in the sentence discussion but my (that) answer was accepted, very rarely not.

..(...)..

Well, I need to decide which course I want to start for French:
Either De->Fr or Pt->Fr or both or none.

Not really interested to do them as laddering trees on the app with missing audio or lack of PT typing or on the new path/snake.

Right now only the tree register tab is left right now for the Web on our www.duome.eu/USERNAME/progress page.
Direct skill Urls work, thankfully.

I only fear that staff might turn down a few more Url links next weeks and who knows what's happening to the old Android app Apis.
So probably not the best time to start a new (French) course on Duolingo?!
What's your opinion?

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

which version of snake-free Android do you use or recommend? Do you need the classroom to get rid of the snake? I am on 5.65.9

I'm on 5.66.5 and I am also snake-free, no classroom needed. :)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

PT 🇧🇷 and ES

Post by Anitarrc »

[mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] thank you for your comprehensive analysis.

Ok here it is .
I did the EN -PT course first in 2018 because I was planning to move to São Paulo and the condition for the job was understandably that I speak at least some Portuguese and not only portuñol.
The reason was that there were many more units.
I finished it in about 3 months but found it very uninspiring towards the end.
Translating subjuntivo pretérito or futuro do pretérito into US English doesn't work well at all. Also the English was often weird.. so I decided to go over to the French version. Then they voted for Bolsonaro and he made immigration near on impossible, so I sorta forgot about it for a while.

If your French and your understanding of French grammar is say at "good business communication level" you'll like it.
Don't expect them to explain much, but seeing the difference to French worked for me.

Fast forward to March 2021.. all of a sudden I had to be quite proficient in technical Portuguese and was making all the stupid mistakes of Portunhol.
So.. If your Spanish is better than your French go for it. You will definitely learn the pitfalls, differences and similarities.

Yes, you are right.
The PT -ES course has definitely not been reviewed for at least 3 years. The sentence discussions are often speaking of frustration and zero reaction.
I had a few positive feedbacks in the ES->PT course but more in FR->PT.

Then, I really don't know how they can claim CEFR standard when using non international English, inconsistent regional wording in Spanish and English ( no hay voseo pero vosotros) and much more.

For now I am not doing anything to French because Duolingo switches my keyboard to AZERTY which I haven't installed.

Last but not least: I'd love to pay the volunteers instead of the Duolingo team.

oli
Kenya

Post by oli »

i don't understand I'm new can you please explain whats the snake
and the tree I'm totally confused

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

oli wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:35 pm

i don't understand I'm new can you please explain whats the snake
and the tree I'm totally confused

The snake is the new path that goes back and forth like S. The tree was the former way the courses were structured. You can still see trees on Duome. Here's mine for Hebrew. On Duolingo the tree looked like this.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: PT 🇧🇷 and ES

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hi [mention]Anitarrc[/mention],

was an interesting read.

Unfortunately, after placing at B1 lesson 1 on Busuu and doing just the first 8 lessons I didn't continue with Portuguese there.

With two broken down Laptops I also stopped the in 2018 started bigger PT Memrise vocabulary courses.
The EN definition side is often the problem; can't remember the EN word meanings without pictures or MEMS which I didn't clearly understand as a native German speaker as I don't have to use them.
Will need to find ways to improve my English and higher vocabulary, but now I found Mosalingua (Toefl, Toeic, Business,...). Busuu also has Business English and Advanced C1 content.

Anitarrc wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:15 am

If your French and your understanding of French grammar is say at "good business communication level" you'll like it.
Don't expect them to explain much, but seeing the difference to French worked for me.

No, not yet, not in the next 4-6 years.
Only know some A1 basics for learning French as a true beginner since one year.
Will be a long path for me, for sure.

Right now I'm blocked on Busuu for wanting to continue with French A2 after lessons 38 (of 102) as I don't want to do the speaking/writing lesson 39 (would be published to community). Also happened at other points.

There are still a lot of things to come; seems there are so many exceptions which Kwiziq and Dr. French grammar go into more detail ;)
We'll see how I'm going to still single words (Srs,...).
Will make use of my Mondly French tree too, the app+Web UI looks so beautiful.

all of a sudden I had to be quite proficient in technical Portuguese

Wow, how did you do it?

At least you're a native speaker of 1-2 Romance languages so you maybe can benefit more from the 0.89 lexical similarity factor.
I always have to laboriously drill PT or FR vocabulary into my head.

If your Spanish is better than your French go for it.

I learned my first 1000 Spanish words on Lingvist end of 2017 with a challenge I started together with Carlos.
But after the 11 days I switched back to Memrise for 3+ new PT courses.
I surely will have to restart Spanish from scratch in a few years once I got better with French.
Was surprised that I didn't know a lot of ES words despite one year of Portuguese learning.

Don't want overwrite all my Brazilian pronunciation and focus on Spanish too soon.
11+ years Portuguese sounds good to me.

Maybe the high lexical factor between the two comes later :-)

My French feels quite weak to be honest.
Not having mastered all grammar, tenses, Subjunctive,...

There's a short Business French course on Busuu and a few more interesting topics on the Mondly tree and a few more lessons on the Mondly French extra modules.

I guess I'll need at least 4-6 years... we'll see.

Wish I would come across a few intermediate Portuguese resources (didn't continue after the placement test on Mango) and don't want to invest a lot of money.

As a German speaker learning a new Romance language has some limitation if you can't make use of immersion or know a native speaker.
But I'm glad that I made it so far.

Then, I really don't know how they can claim CEFR standard when using non international English, inconsistent regional wording in Spanish and English ( no hay voseo pero vosotros) and much more.

There are only very few official CEFR courses on Duolingo:

English->French
English->Spanish
English->German (not the old tree with 121 skills which is gone)
Spanish->English
Portuguese->English

De->xx and Es<->Pt or Fr<->Pt are not aligned are older contributor courses.

For now I am not doing anything to French because Duolingo switches my keyboard to AZERTY which I haven't installed.

I will link the other keyboard thread. Have opened a bug report.

Have the same problem with Portuguese on the mobile app and a new popping up Portugal keyboard, but it's Qwertz for me but multi-language typing.

Need to try the French courses and if that internal keyboard shows up.
I have already added a QWERTZ French keyboard for Busuu on Gboard so I can even type with accents/diacritics.

Last but not least: I'd love to pay the volunteers instead of the Duolingo team.

I will probably start the De->Fr and Pt->Fr contributor courses.
They are not CEFR but shorter and have a clear focus on grammar, so much more compact.

Your French: Is that good that you could make use of the Fr->Pt tree?

English->Portuguese also is not CEFR, else all the grammar-/verb tense skills and sub contractor 1-3 skills wouldn't exist.

The quite long English from Portuguese course got restructured by staff for CEFR and got rolled out for me - after a longer waiting time - in 2019.
But I can't do this reverse tree on the app with missing of PT audio.

I wish you continued success.

Athenais21st
United States of America

Post by Athenais21st »

I had forgotten that we used to be able to download lessons. I was disappointed to discover that this had disappeared as I was preparing for a transatlantic flight. All the more confirmation that I made the right choice in stopping my paid subscription earlier today.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]Athenais21st[/mention]

Android app V5.52.5 has again downloaded 1.8 Gb of cached tree lessons (all 91 PT skills are complete).

Last time I tried an OFFLINE lesson without Wifi and Umts at a park bench in the beginning of November 2022 with around 2.5 Gb of local data or a bit less, ALL skills (on the old tree) were suddenly NOT available
What a mess.
They seemed to have flagged the cached content for no use, so I deleted everything afterwards.

That was the period when the snake was rolled out to other users (to me only on 4. January).

Will have to retry if the cache mode works again for higher crown levels with the newly downloaded tree data and same old app
(end of 2022 no new data was downloaded over night (standby) for a while).

Q: How big is your app user data?
Do you use IOS?

The Android app since 2022/21 (mine dates back to mid April 2022) supports the auto download over night....[or maybe it may take days, not sure].
To make this happen Xiaomi MIUI battery saver first needs to be turned OFF on my Redmi Note 10 Pro smartphone else it would kill the long-running app too soon.

Maybe staff has implemented something similar for IOS?
How many lessons and path levels or units can you work on in parallel for an offline session? Only one circle?

You're correct that you can't control the A) download of lessons when it gets triggered and B) what skills will be fetched.

Sometimes not the right data was available after I left the house.
Also the Android cache mode in V5.52.5 only gives me access to one lesson per skill.

For the endlessly long new path/snake it should be even a bit more complicated to do offline lessons as AFAIK it integrates repetitions up to the first three crown levels.
Am I correct?

So I guess only a limited amount of locked/grey units or currently unlocked path unit(s) will be downloaded on newer app versions; but not everything, not lasting for endless hours, without any Internet reconnects from time to time.

Seems there were bigger issues with the former Plus offline implementation?!
That was probably one key feature and selling point for many interested subscribers.

But if there are technical issues and limitations or server overload on immediate manual Plus downloads (for several courses) I can somehow understand that staff needed or wanted to get rid of it.

That's probably the reason why Ouino supports the manual installation of an Apk file (from a website folder) which incorporates all lesson/audio data when you install it locally on the phone; at least this is how their Faq describes it.

Still haven't tried and I mainly would like to test Ouino app on my Android 6.67" screen, not the Web demo as two very old Laptops are damaged.

Screen resolution tests and Accessibility / font sizes are important on mobile screens
(e.g. Nextlingua has a display / font size issue on my higher screen resolution).
Not every app performs that well without full customization.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athenais21st
United States of America

Post by Athenais21st »

[mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] , I'm a Mac user, so I've been on an iPhone for the app and Chrome on a MacBook Air for the web version.

Return to “Duolingo”