Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Grammar help

Moderator: SansEspoir

StageTech
United States of America

Grammar help

Post by StageTech »

I just ran into a sentence that has me thinking I need some help:
"Han het Dag" -- He was named Dag.
Can someone provide the proper translations for these similar sentences, please?

He is named Dag
His name was Dag
His Name is Dag

I know that some may be similar or exactly the same and tense is determined by context, but context is difficult when all you have is a single sentence.
Does "He was named Dag" indicate someone who has died, or left a place, or has changed his name; or can it be any of these reasons?
Mange Takk!

Olav
Norway

Re: Grammar help

Post by Olav »

He is named Dag : Han kalles Dag/Han heter Dag
His name was Dag : Hans navn var Dag
His Name is Dag : Hans navn er Dag/Han heter Dag

Does "He was named Dag" indicate someone who has died, or left a place, or has changed his name; or can it be any of these reasons?
You're quite right; any of them.

spencer1411
United States of America

Re: Grammar help

Post by spencer1411 »

"Han het Dag" is just as likely to show up in a context where he hasn't died, left, nor changed his name, but the events being described are in the past so the surrounding text is written in that tense. For example, a story could start with "Det var en gang en mann som het Dag."

Native 🇺🇸 | Learning 🇳🇴 | Rusty 🇪🇸 🇩🇪

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”