Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Relative sentences - "jenž"

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Relative sentences - "jenž"

Post by PtolemysXX »

I have been working on skill "Relative 1" (Relative clauses) recently. It is one of those with grammar only, nine lessons per level and incredibly long sentences to translate. At least half of the sentences contain the relative pronoun "jenž" in all its derivative forms. I am having really hard time with it. Getting stuck with one particular sentence I checked the sentence discussions and here is what I found:

JENZ .png
JENZ .png (162.97 KiB) Viewed 304 times

So, if I understand correctly, I do do not need to worry about having to use "jenž" actively after all (I am still under 80 ;) ). May I ask native speakers for a hint if that is really the case? How often ist "jenž" used in day-to-day conversations?

nuebs
Czech Republic

Re: Relative sentences - "jenž"

Post by nuebs »

If you didn't, maybe you should read the Tips & Notes (https://duome.eu/tips/en/cs), as there is plenty said in there about this.

It is true that this relative pronoun is not used in everyday conversations. Duo sentence discussions related to this pronoun suggest that many Czech natives could not use this pronoun correctly if life depended on it, so not even outside everyday conversations. The point remains fair that "který" is entirely sufficient for active use across most registers, not only in everyday speech.

The most bookish writing styles might call for "jenž", but "který" is at home even in dissertations and technical writing. At the bottom end, where we veer into street talk ("common Czech"), "který" could feel a bit goody-goody in Bohemia even with the common-Czech adjective endings (shown in What the?!), and alternatives with "co" and "jak" could work better in such contexts.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Re: Relative sentences - "jenž"

Post by PtolemysXX »

nuebs wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:49 pm

If you didn't, maybe you should read the Tips & Notes (https://duome.eu/tips/en/cs), as there is plenty said in there about this.

I did - I find the explanations there pretty good. But as the proper use requiers quite a lot of learning and practice I was wondering what would be more useful from the practical point of view: polishing the relative clauses or e.g. learning new vocabulary.

nuebs wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:49 pm

(...) where we veer into street talk ("common Czech"), (...) (shown in What the?!), and alternatives with "co" and "jak" could work better in such contexts.

That's the last skill... it will take a while until i get there ;) . Thanks for the pointer anyway!

Return to “Grammar”