Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

New Achievements

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Saperlipopette!

New Achievements

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Duo added some new Achievements a while back (I can't recall how far back, maybe a few months).

There's two schools of thought on this & I subscribe to the one where, if you can add a little game to bridge the days that you don't feel like working, that's alright.

So here's the new Achievements:

Considering I 'm in schools & don't have access to cheat-up challenges, the first one is pretty pointless. I'm not going to switch out of schools to do that challenge. I'd love to meet the moron who thought that one out... probably the same guy who thinks the grammar tips are worth anyone's time. Some day he'll read the answers in the red box and say, gee, those grammar tips don't tell you anything you can't find in a good answer in the red box.

I was worried about the schools / no leagues shift a few months ago, but that's working out okay. Meeting daily goals, friends quests, ten lessons a day, 2k XP a week are all goals I substituted for adding a tick to the counter for staying in the diamond league.

One game that would be nice if they threw targets on the calendar. Like if I met all 3 daily challenges, there should be three small arrows in the calendar date, not too big so they cover up the dates. Right now either you meet it or you don't and you get a fistful of gems which you forget about the next day.

I don't have the gold box for a streak over 300 days but I think I'm stuck. I think you have to register for the challenge to get it but I think doing that stores that info in your memory like the timers which means if you clear your duo memory it goes plouf.

The nocturnal one, so far, is 100 lessons to level 8. Who knows where it ends? I haven't worried much about this, I do my work & the chips fall where they do. Since I often complete lessons after ten I suppose this challenge will be in the bag.

It's been so long since I had a new Achievements that I almost forgot about this section.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Saperlipopette!

Re: New Achievements

Somehow I got unstuck & today got inducted into the streak society.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Is the streak society an exclusive club that you are now allowed to enter? Can you ask questions about exercise sets there again? Then membership would be worthwhile

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I had a full house of achievents until they introduced those. Which is slightly annoying. But I refuse to join in with the "timed challenges"

John661162

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

I was pretty suspicious about the challenger achievement because I'm not fond of these timed challenges.

I recently tried "match madness", where you have to quickly match pair of words. I managed do it to level 9 (with time boosters).

As a learning exercise it's not too bad because it trains your vocabulary under stress.

The negative aspect is that it becomes very repetitive with a limited amount of words. I don't know how it works because I know way many words that were proposed. I'll try next time to see if the word bank changes.

Eventually I got the level 4 achievement with 1000XP but I doubt I'll ever get the next level with 5000XP

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Saperlipopette!

Here's a little more on the streak status. It's not about a lot, but here's what you get:

The streak status gives you:
1) a shiny gold background on your streak in your profile page
2) you'll get more streak freezes
3) you get occasional other offers, appearing in the calendar.

The streak status is new so Duo is figuring it out. I think it's something for Duo to increase it's numbers on who returns to the site everyday.

For the user, I think it's to give you a more visible profile. Having a lot of followers is one thing, but how many congratulate you on your achievements ? (4). The idea here is: they can do it, so you can do it. And if you do it, maybe others can take something away from that.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

On the Web portal, IOS app or Android app.

If Android: Which minimum version?

Can't see them. Where do I have to click?
My installed Android app version is 5.52.5 from April 2022.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Saperlipopette!

I checked on web & none of the streak society appurtenances are there. I know it's on the app-- can't give an exact requirement, but I'd say you need a version after Nov 2022. I think the place to look for the streak society is the calendar--if you've got the JOIN for the Streak Challenge, you're supposed to have it. That being said, I had it for a month & it didn't induct me into the streak society until yesterday.

AjitPlays2549
Russia

Re: New xp grind

Post by AjitPlays2549 »

I found that if you got to the golden mode, you could wait till you get to 20xp, and then purposefully fail, then you can do it again. (Only works on the browser version of duolingo.)

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

John Little wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:44 am

I refuse to join in with the "timed challenges"

I think they are useful for speeding up my retrieval of stored words. They are in my head somewhere but at times I forget.
This is not a language thing because it happens in English as well :geek:

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Saperlipopette!

A new Achievement appeared for me today. To see achievements, on the app go to your profile page (the little girl's face) and scroll down maybe a page and a half for the achievements section.

The achievement is the QUEST achievement. You complete ten QUESTS and you get to level one of the QUEST achievement. I assume this means FRIENDS QUESTS and DAILY QUESTS but I can't be sure because I completed my DAILY QUESTS early today. This evening we crushed our FRIENDS QUEST and I think that was the tick I got on the new Achievement.

A few months ago I thought a QUEST challenge would be the new monthly goal, like complete sixty daily quests for the monthly badge. It hasn't happened. The monthly badge is still 1000 XP which is about three days work. The monthly badge is coming up in a week and who knows, it could be a ground hog. Punxsutawney Phil and Staten Island chuck are the two most famous ground hogs around here on Feb 2.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

I never saw a nocturnal achievement and I do lots of lessons after 10pm, always have.
Never saw the quest champion achievement badge either.

Frankly, I don't understand some of these or what the levels on the badges means.
Maybe some of them were discontinued and still remain on my profile.

For example, why does "Friendly: You followed 3 friends" only give me a level one when I have a lot more than 3 friends?
Why am I only on level 1 on on "Weekend Warrior: You completed a lesson on Saturday and Sunday" when I complete lessons every Saturday and Sunday?

Why am I level 10 on "You made it to the Diamond League" Does it count how many weeks you've been in the Diamond League?

It's a mystery. I occasionally look at these badges, but they don't make sense to me.

I did get Streak Champion with the ability to change the Duo app icon to orange, but I didn't like it. I'm used to green. I changed it back.

Saperlipopette!

I couldn't have set this up any better. My February Monthly challenge is now a quest-based challenge. My goal is to complete this on the tenth. Three daily quests a day times 10 days. Even if I win Friends quest this week and next and those count, I still need ten days.

As for the badges, Friendly only goes to level one. It's one of the 5 badges that end at level one. Weekend Warrior is the same. thing, it tops out at level one.

The Diamond league achievement is one for every league. There's ten leagues. It used to be 5 steps when ruby was the highest league. They added the 5 extra leagues in fall of 2019 and made this a ten step achievement.

Nocturnal is new, it came out few months ago. Quest champion came for me on 1-26. They hadn't added any new badges for about two years, so these three new Achievements were, I thought, newsworthy.

This week they're making me do 75 to win the Friends quest this week. I'll do ten a day or so and we'll see where things stand on Friday. A lot of it depends on the other guy & I don't know much about this week's partner. They had been following me for a while and were always congratulating me for the various achievements in the news feed so I followed the back after about a year of watching. I send them a timer and they used it. I think a very low percentage of users are playing games with versions to avoid the snake. My guess is less than 100,000--which compared to 50 million active monthly users is like two tenths of a percentage.

Most are probably like me, we used a tight waterfall on the tree, found the switch to the snake was not much different from what we used to do, and just lived with it. The thing I miss is the checkpoint quizzes but I figured they were a goner when they removed them from the app in February 2022.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saperlipopette!

I completed the nocturnal achievement, so you can see where it tops out if you're following achievements.

Earlier this week Duo gave me my Feb challenge, to complete 30 quests this month.

For the first four days, I completed all three quests. This isn't hard to do with my personal goal of completing ten lessons. My quest counter has me for eight quests out of thirty so they've got a bug in counting quests. One out of thirty is three point three so, according to Duo, I have completed 26.4 percent of my month quest. It should be 39.6 percent complete.

The news feed showed I completed my February quest, so that is still going by 1000 XP a month.

Most of the new things I get, I'm usually filling out bug reports for things that should have been caught in a beta test. I'm not supposed to be in a beta test because 1) I said I didn't want to be in one when I first joined Duolingo, and 2) I'm in Duolingo for Schools which is supposed to be the most stable version of Duolingo.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]Saperlipopette![/mention]

Are you on IOS?

I do have the monthly challenge.
But my Android app V5.52.5 doesn't have those newer achievements.

What is this Champion quest thing? It's not that friends qiest, right?
There are multiple per months?? What are they?

Is it available on 5.6.x? Only 5.7.x? 5.8.x?
Oh I see, 5.90.1 is the current Android app version from 26. January 2023.

Still want to have the old tree - it's simply the best for the volunteer contributor Portuguese course with proper grammar/verb skill namea - so I won't update to newest app versions here as the snake was rolled out somewhere in summer 2022 for first testers.
Or was this restricted to IOS only and Android came much later with the 11/2022 roll out? Guess for many the October or earlier update infected their app with the new path/snake already.

This Challenger achievement looks nice; quite usable.

I randomly use it for a few rounds on the Android app with my finished L2 crown Portuguese tree (snake is not finished and pushed me back to Unit 49 of 75 six years later).

Q: Is there a special achievement for the Ramp Up challenge?

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]Saperlipopette![/mention]

Despite the schools classroom environment Duolingo runs tons of A/B experiments.

You can see them all on your "extended user profile" www.duolingo.com/users/USERNAME (JSON format, Firefox supports a JSON viewer in

Code: Select all

about:config

):

For most you won't be eligible (=false) or treated is set to FALSE as well or if TRUE the control group is selected.

Deleted User 4833

The Nocturnal achievement badge turned up on my profile today. I'm at level 2.

Deleted User 4833

Interestingly, I just noticed that the Nocturnal achievement badge only appears on the app.
It's not on my profile when I open up Duolingo on my computer web browser.
Weird.

Also I apparently got level one on "Legendary: You finished number 1 in the Diamond league" for finishing first in the Diamond League tournament semifinals. I was not expecting that. And apparently this achievement is called "Unrivaled" on the app, as "Legendary" on the app refers to completing Legendary levels.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:16 am

I apparently got level one on "Legendary: You finished number 1 in the Diamond league" for finishing first in the Diamond League tournament semifinals. I was not expecting that. And apparently this achievement is called "Unrivaled" on the app, as "Legendary" on the app refers to completing Legendary levels.

For me, this achievement is Legendary, both on web and app, but it looks like that there is a large variety of styles iOS/Android/App version/Web/AB testing/...

Deleted User 4833

FurbyZeKat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:59 pm
JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:16 am

I apparently got level one on "Legendary: You finished number 1 in the Diamond league" for finishing first in the Diamond League tournament semifinals. I was not expecting that. And apparently this achievement is called "Unrivaled" on the app, as "Legendary" on the app refers to completing Legendary levels.

For me, this achievement is Legendary, both on web and app, but it looks like that there is a large variety of styles iOS/Android/App version/Web/AB testing/...

"Unrivaled" may be a recent update, as I have been updating my app when new updates become available.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Daily quests using the DL website

Post by SweNedGuy »

For several weeks I have been wondering what 'Daily Quests' were about. "Some new DL gizmo only available on the app", was my first thought. Only this very week Daily quests show up on the website as well. The same quests may show up for some days in a row or they may change.

Some quests are cumbersome (such as do 12 lessons with speaking exercises). Some lessons have them, others don't. Legendary challenges don't feature any speaking exercises.

There may have been prior A/B tests introducing 'daily quests' on the DL website version, or I may be part of some A/B testing?

Quests are in the right column, where they have replaced the 7 day XP graph. :(
However the DuoMe profile page shows a 30 days XP graph when viewing your profile :)

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Re: Daily quests using the DL website

Post by FurbyZeKat »

SweNedGuy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:07 pm

Some quests are cumbersome (such as do 12 lessons with speaking exercises). Some lessons have them, others don't. Legendary challenges don't feature any speaking exercises.

If you have a practice tab you should have the option to do speaking or listening exercices allowing to fulfill your quest.

practice.jpg
practice.jpg (23.92 KiB) Viewed 4694 times

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Re: Daily quests using the DL website

Post by SweNedGuy »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:36 pm
SweNedGuy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:07 pm

If you have a practice tab you should have the option to do speaking or listening exercices allowing to fulfill your quest.

I do have that TAB, but the options for speaking or listening exercises are only available for SUPER users. :roll:

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Deleted User 4833

In my experience the daily quests change from day to day.

Some are quite ridiculous, such as "find Junior x times". I've yet to figure out what that has to do with learning.

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

JudieLC wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:38 am

In my experience the daily quests change from day to day.

Some are quite ridiculous, such as "find Junior x times". I've yet to figure out what that has to do with learning.

Incentivising some to do another lesson, or as many as it takes to complete the quest?
After all for some if you've got to finding Junior x-1 time, do you do another lesson to try to get a little feel good moment of turning that quest gold and maybe even a lingot/gem too?

I'd argue that at lot of the rewards are based on making you come back to do another lesson

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

From the point of view that Duolingo seems to want to address more and more younger children, I find the nocturnal achievement in particular extremely critical.

Children should sleep after 10 pm and not be asked to achieve meaningless goals.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

You get a lingot if you do a quest? I just got quests on the web.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Saperlipopette!

I think they've taken away the awarding of lingots if you met your daily goal on the web. That's fine by me now that you can get them by achieving daily quests.

I can't think of any use for stating a daily goal on your settings. I don't think daily quests use it to compose your daily list of quests. Maybe they'll get rid of it.

They're still awarding the huge ten percent
Lingot award on the tens of the streak. You get that if you do your first lesson of that day on the web. It just takes a long time to post.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hi,

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:43 am

From the point of view that Duolingo seems to want to address more and more younger children, I find the nocturnal achievement in particular extremely critical.
Children should sleep after 10 pm and not be asked to achieve meaningless goals.

How do you exactly know that age restricted accounts will see those achievements and any other social aspects?

Took a screen recording from a PRIVATE window when you register a new account.
Can't upload a screen snapshot.

Info button for the age field says: "Providing your age you get the right Duolingo experience.
For more details visit the privacy policy.":
https://www.duolingo.com/privacy

Google privacy policy also applies with the text at the bottom:
https://policies.google.com/privacy

Young kids should be assigned to an observer which is a parent account with supervision (verified parent email) or being enrolled into a school classroom.
Both (kids account + school classroom) shall have disabled ALL this stuff, theoretically.

If your own children has seen this achievement task being 13 or less of age or you can't find a way as a teacher or on an observer account to specifically disable all of this, then you probably should submit a bug report and ask for a change request:

https://support.duolingo.com/hc/de/arti ... en-Fehler-

https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... ort-a-bug-

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

For account holders of the right age and night owls these tasks might be some fun.
Also they are duable on the weekend.
Other people go out at night, others stay awake and do a few quick lessons or wake up in the middle of the night.

Where's it's a bit questionable if the Nocturnal task shows up for 14+ account holders and adults EVERY week day as they have to go to work or school.

The Android V5.52.5 app (old tree) doesn't have these newer achievement tasks and double XPs are only available for 15 minutes once a skill of the old tree is complete for a crown level and you immediately start the next lesson.

Someone provided a chart of different app versions and what they supported in more detail.
I'm not exactly sure if V3.6x or V3.7x won't force you into the new path/snake directly.
Maybe I find it laters.

Q: What's the last Android app version which has some newer stuff in, supports typing/toggle button which is 100% tree compatible? No path please. Makes no sense for my current volunteer PT tree.

It would personally fit me very well as I often do the last lessons on 3-4 apps in the last 5-10 minutes before 00:00am if I don't start earlier.
So I definitely miss this on the older app :-(
Not sure what other things they would take away or what bugs and restrictions are introduced in later Android app versions which were functioning well/acceptable on V5.52.5.

Return to “Duolingo”