Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Innafor, innenfor, inne, and i differences Topic is solved

Moderator: SansEspoir

Deleted User 2031

Innafor, innenfor, inne, and i differences

Post by Deleted User 2031 »

I can't figure out when to use which.

SansEspoir
Norway

Re: Innafor, innenfor, inne, and i differences

Post by SansEspoir »

Innenfor is the proper spelling, like if you want your snobby teacher to like you. Innafor is causal, dialectal and/or possibly nynorsk, but DuoLingo is only teaching bokmål so let's ignore that for now. It might be acceptable in written bokmål now too, but since I'm oldschool and prefer writing that is more akin to riksmål, I would correct you every time, unless we were having a casual facebook chat.

So take this next bit with a grain of salt, because I'm not a teacher or anything like that, but I'll try to explain it without getting too brainy or google for something more properly educational.
Inne = inside (location)
Inn = inside (direction)
I = in
Inn i = in to
Inne i = inside of
Innenfor = within (the boundaries) - and is often used in a social sense.

Examples.
Den er inne (it's inside)
Den går inn (it's going in)
Den er i stuen (it's in the living room)
Jeg kjører inn i tunnelen (I'm driving into the tunnel)
Vi er inne i kirken (we are inside of the church).
Den straffen er innenfor regelverket (that penalty shot is within the rules)
Er det innenfor å komme tidlig? (is it ok to arrive early)

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

anamorphism

Post by anamorphism »

innafor is a valid spelling in both bokmål and nynorsk (https://ordbokene.no/bm,nn/search?q=innafor&scope=ei). it's the same exact word as innenfor (or innanfor in nynorsk), just a different spelling.

innenfor and i are prepositions. they offer positional information relative to something else. that something else always needs to be in context whether explicitly stated or implied.

i is about being contained within that something else. innenfor is about being on the inside of a physical or abstract boundary set by that something else.

unfortunately, english often expresses both things in the same way and is ambiguous. so, let's say i have a wall that i'm going to represent like this: ||

• jeg er i muren: i am inside the wall -> |me|
  • jeg er innenfor muren: i am inside the wall -> you || me

the first sentence has me within the wall itself. like they placed the bricks around me :), or maybe it's a big castle wall where there's a passageway within it and i'm standing in that passageway.

the second sentence is stating that i'm on the inside of the area that is defined by the wall. the wall is acting like a border and i'm on the inside of the border, whereas you are on the outside of (utenfor) it.

inne is an adverb. that is to say, it's attached to the verb and tells us something about the verb action. in this case, it's giving us a fixed location where the verb action is taking place. inn is also an adverb, but it provides information about the direction of motion.

there is the same difference between all the adverb pairs with and without e's: frem/me, hjem/me, bort/e, ut/e, ned/e, opp/e, ...

• jeg går hjem: i'm walking home (walking from where i am in the direction of home)
  • jeg går hjemme: i'm walking at home (my current location is at home and i just happen to be walking)

because these adverbs are attached to the verb, you will need to add a preposition after if you're offering additional positional information relative to something else. this is why you will see "inn i somethingElse" and "inne i somethingElse". to make things more confusing, "inne i" can also be written as inni.

Deleted User 2031

Post by Deleted User 2031 »

Thank you Anamorphism and Sansespoir for the help. Dere er flotte!

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”