Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Turoyo- A Severely Endangered Language.

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] Turoyo- A Severely Endangered Language.

Post by Corinnebelle »

[deactivated user] wrote:

Hello Learners!

I'm here to tell you a little bit about a Severely Endangered Language.
Turoyo. Also known as Surayt.

It's traditionally spoken in South-East Turkey. Also used to be spoken in North Syria by the Assyrians. Most people who do speak it use it for literature and/or worship.

Turoyo speakers are currently mostly members of the Syriac Orthodox Church. There are also Turoyo-speaking members of the Chaldean Catholic Church. People who are from the town of Midyat use it the most.

Turoyo is not really intelligible with Western Neo-Aramaic having been separated for over a thousand years. Since it was separated, it slowly started to lose speakers and went endangered.

Here's the Alphabet:

![](https://archive.ph/SGxiR/4ac445a4bcd1f0 ... bc3620.gif)

Here's another:

![](https://archive.ph/SGxiR/55fe382b0a281a ... 595816.gif)

Archive of post

If you don't want this post on here, please let me know.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Re: [ARCHIVE] Turoyo- A Severely Endangered Language.

Post by Corinnebelle »

I almost know this script!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I love posts about not so well-known languages. Thanks for sharing [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention]!

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] I don't know the vowels. I get by finding entries in the dictionaries.

This is one of the scripts I know, you can see it here.

Here's another one, this actually looks like the Turoyo, this is kind of like Arabic, the letters change shape depending on the place in the word. Another dictionary which shows the different scripts.

[mention]Explorer[/mention] I like it too! Thanks!

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”