Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo got way way slower recently

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Vojtech_S.
Czech Republic

Duolingo got way way slower recently

Post by Vojtech_S. »

I stopped progressing or doing anything last two weeks because Duolingo doesn't work in my phone any more. It just loads for 15 minutes to get to a single lesson. Web interface is laggy too.

Did I got selected to some A/B group to test if I quit my 1040 days streak if the product almost doesn't work?
Is it only me or is this for everyone? I don't see any discussion like this.

LICA98
Finland

Re: Duolingo got way way slower recently

Post by LICA98 »

yeah for me the app is very laggy as well, it may take up to several minutes just to load up :? I mostly use the web version now because of that, that one seems to work normally so far

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Vojtech_S.[/mention] Do you perhaps need to reload the app or clear cookies?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Yes, it's laggy for me too. The app even crashed a couple of times on my smartphone.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

buho

Post by buho »

subscribe to super duolingo for a faster experience — coming soon.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

What phones and Android OS do you have? Older devices?

Have you got those issues after an update of the OS or the app?

I don't recognize that I would have a very laggy Duolingo on Android 11 / Miui 12.5 and with an older app from mid April 2022.
For the past months the system updater screams for Miui 13.0.x.x which means Android 12. But there's no good BACKUP concept there if speaking exercises might fail and not to lose stored phone and app data (not Duolingo data).

FYI: My Redmi Note 10 Pro has some Cpu and Gpu power and I'm really glad that I found it as it has a bigger 6.67" screen, 6Gb Ram and a nice Super AMOLED display with high nits so you can also use it outdoors even in the sun.

I'm still on the old tree with a school classroom and original (old) design.

Maybe the many animations / cartoon characters on the new path make it more laggy than before?

It may be a good idea to restart your phone.
Interesting that you have the same laggy issues on a browser and different device (e.g. PC). With which browsers? Firefox Nightly?
Is the uBlock Origin browser extension installed?

Well, if the programming/ design gets worse and the UI overfilled with demanding animations and third party libraries and Duolingo servers overloaded it is no surprise that you might see freezes and lags.
Maybe devs have damaged something on the newer app builds...
I have seen all the browser code issues in 2018/19 compared to a working 2016/17 web design on an old Laptop and old Firefox.
Somewhere last 1-3 years we also had grading fail / freeze issues related to mass user increasement and system instabilities.

Anyway, it is surprising for me to hear that ACTIVE user count/ server load doesn't go down with the new path rollouts??
I mean who can learn with that design, especially with classic contributor trees (e.g. Portuguese from EN, FR from DE, FR from PT) where you actually want to know the skill name and which grammar and verb tense / Subjunctive 1-4 is hidden behind which skill?
For now I really enjoy doing the verb tense skills and bringing them up to higher crown levels.

According to your freeze statement user / server load doesn't go down that much on their server farm.
Do they have load balancing or database issues??

Sometimes it helps to pull the Dsl / cable modem Pstn plug for a line resync and to restart the Wlan router with a fresh NAT list.

Not sure what I shall tell you or how I could further help...
You would need to find tracing or debugging tools.
A good idea is to have the web console open and to check for red error messages (Firefox: F12 or Ctrl+ Shift + K).

Best regards from Germany

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Return to “Duolingo”