Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Mother is Who?

Moderator: Explorer

Kelikaku
Israel

Mother is Who?

Post by Kelikaku »

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

McGonnagle
Japan

Re: Mother is Who?

Post by McGonnagle »

I wonder if it's just because your English here is a bit too colloquial?

[WARNING!!] In fact, there are two Duolingo scholars (Andreas689482, Moopish) pointed out that the following sentences with quae are not usual, (probably only can be seen in LLPSI) so please do not blindly accept the idea! Sorry for this confusion!!

In fact, I'm not fully convensed with this sentence;
Quis est māter?

It also could be "Quae est māter?" since it's refering to woman, the mother. (What I heard is both are fine.)

There are some sentences in LLPSI (P13);

Quis est Mārcus? Mārcus est puer Rōmānus est.
Quis est pater Mārcī? Iūlius pater Mārcī est.

Quae est Iūlia? Iūlia est puella Rōmāna.
Quae est māter Mārcī? Māter Mārcī est Aemilia.

Any ideas from others are highly appreciated.

Last edited by McGonnagle on Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Gratias! Illi sunt utiles!!

This is interesting, from the webside you refered, it said;
a. The singular quis is either masculine or of indeterminate gender, but in old writers it is sometimes distinctly feminine. https://dcc.dickinson.edu/grammar/latin ... e-pronouns

So, this is what it is!! It's so wonderful to learn something new. Thank you so much!!

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

and this...

a. The feminine forms qua and quae are sometimes used substantively.
https://dcc.dickinson.edu/grammar/latin ... e-pronouns

So "Quis est Mater?" is correct, while "Quae est Mater?" is not wrong but rare case.

Thank you guys!!

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

superessedi wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:18 am

... let me quote from "Reporting in the Latin Course - Where, What, What NOT, and How to Report".
How to report
Before reporting anything, please read the entire sentence discussion! If there's nothing in the sentence discussion about it, check a trusted source (or at least do a quick Google search) to make sure you're right. An example of where this would save us time is "Quis est ea", for which we've received multiple reports that it should be "quae", which is either plural (in which case the verb would not be "est") or a relative pronoun (when we need the interrogative pronoun). That's only one example, there are many others.

I would like to see a control panel option that will allow the user to review that user's own report notifications, edit them, delete them, or copy them. If it is true that 99% of these reports are frivolous ones, then this would help to clean up a huge mess, potentially, for the sysops at Duolingo. Allowing users to police their own report records would relieve a good amount of responsibility from the shoulders of the reviewers. Just allowing users to review their own reports - could be a great feature.

I posted THIS in another thread.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Thank you guys and so sorry for this confusion!!

Return to “Sententiarum explicatio”