Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

API and Vocabulary

Jaggleberry

API and Vocabulary

Post by Jaggleberry »

I wrote a basic script to scrape my Duome profile, getting all the newest words that I've learned in Duolingo, then exporting them so I can easily import them into my Anki flashcards. This way I always have all my newest words in Anki without having to add them manually. So, two things:

1) If this would be useful to others (it's written in Python and must be run from the command line), let me know and I'll work on cleaning it up and making it a bit more user friendly.

2) Does anybody know, or can anybody at [mention]duome[/mention] tell me, how duome pulls the complete vocab list? I'm currently looking at making a larger project to help users improve their Duolingo skills but I need access to Duolingo's vocabulary based on skills. Right now, I only have access to the skills themselves and the vocabulary that I have personally learned, which is why I'm looking to see how duome got their entire vocab list.

Btw, my project would not compete with duolingo or duome in any way.

Thank you.

Jaggleberry

Re: API and Vocabulary

Post by Jaggleberry »

I could probably get everything I need to move forward with my project from a user that has fully completed a language on Duolingo as they have 'learned' all the vocab available. If anybody is willing to help me out, I would provide them a python script to run (you'll be able to see all the code so you know there's no funny business) that will extract all the vocab and the skills they were learned in and save them to a .CSV file that you could email me.

Unless, of course, someone has a better idea.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I'd be interested. However is it possible to upload the csv file here instead of sending an email or would it contain personal information? Be too big to upload? I'd rather not share my email.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

Do not scrape duome. It's too much stress to the server in the long run if it becomes a habit. It will most likely force me to disable more and more "live" features and make everything "cached" (means "lagging somewhat behind").

I can export whatever data you need without scraping.

Jaggleberry

Post by Jaggleberry »

Sorry about that. I only needed the data once but now that I've got the DuoLingo API information I'll just go directly through them. Thanks.

Jaggleberry

Post by Jaggleberry »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] and [mention]PtolemysXX[/mention] ,

Thank you both for your offers! It will probably take a couple days or even a couple weeks (due to work) to make sure the code is done and fully transparent. I don't have authorization yet to send a private message through the forums so I may have to notify you again here to provide you the code, unless of course I am allowed to send messages by the time I'm done with the code.

Thanks again,
Eric

duome

Post by duome »

[mention]Jaggleberry[/mention], you are now allowed to send those messages. Be welcome )

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I wonder [mention]Jaggleberry[/mention] if you are still around and whether you are working on your script.

A few days ago I installed Anki on my computer and I am going now through help files to learn how it works.
Using the "Pull from Duolingo" plug-in i was able to import my duolingo vocabularies to Anki.

However, as mentioned in Anki issue #61 ( https://github.com/JASchilz/AnkiSyncDuolingo/issues/61 ) the plug-in is no longer able to retrieve the translations.

Therefore, if I want to make some use of the lists, I have to type the translations by hand. This might be a useful exercise, but before I take that chore on me I'd rather ask if you are working on your script and whether it can retrieve the translations.

As I am completely new to spaced-repetition software I would appreciate some information about products available on the market and possibilities to integrate them with Duolingo. [mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] - you are an expert in this field, your hints would be welcome.

Return to “Discussions”