Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Is it Unit 15 or the new path that is giving me trouble??

Moderator: Basler Biker

mahlerrd

Is it Unit 15 or the new path that is giving me trouble??

Post by mahlerrd »

I got moved to the new path only a couple of weeks ago after 185 or so days (now at 200 today, yay!). I don't think it quite transferred my progress over correctly and it placed me a bit farther ahead than I should have been. I figured this would smooth out after a week or two, and in many respects I was right.

But now I am in Unit 15, "Communicate at school, used the past tense." The unit started very easy - new stuff but not too hard, as you would expect when starting a new unit - then suddenly I am in the sentences like "he is bringing the beer" and I feel entirely lost and baffled, like I again skipped far ahead of where I should be.

So is this what Unit 15 is like, it is just a difficult section and there's no easy way to introduce it except to dive in and flounder around having no idea what you are doing or why all those extra words go into the sentences in what appear to be the wrong order? Or is it that I am still fighting with having been dropped in one or two lessons too far?

So has anyone else gone through this unit and thought the same thing? Or breezed through it because this set of lessons built in something you had before that I apparently missed when I converted? Wondering your experiences.

Learning Swedish from English since May, 2022.

mahlerrd

Re: Is it Unit 15 or the new path that is giving me trouble??

Post by mahlerrd »

I have also noticed I have three entire units that aren't legendary yet - which is really weird because I made every unit legendary when I came across it in the old path, so I should have been "caught up". At least mostly, anyway.

And on those three that aren't legendary yet, I've tried once or twice but fail pretty spectacularly before I get to even the first milestone. "I don't know if I've ever seen that word, and I certainly can't remember what it means." So I'm having to go back through practice on them.

I'm tempted to email support, but I think the only thing they could do would be to remove a bunch of progress and I'm not sure I'd want to go back that far and redo everything - I'm sure I'll hit chunks that would be super-boring.

I think it took my "farthest ahead" single-completed-lesson, decided the entire units surrounding those were done, and couple that with the "new path" not quite having the same coverage in the same order as the "old path", I just happened to hit a messy spot. Yuck.

Well nothing to do but keep moving forward, I guess, and picking up practice in the previous lessons until I can legendary them.

Learning Swedish from English since May, 2022.

Return to “Allmän - General”