Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Korean stories are gone [edit: they are back!] Topic is solved

Moderator: PtolemysXX

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Korean stories are gone [edit: they are back!]

Post by PtolemysXX »

:?: After transition to the new learning path I cannot find the Korean stories any more. They are supposed to be placed inline with other lessons. I can see stories in my other paths but not in the Korean path. Has anybody else experienced the same? I know the stories still exist because I can access them on https://www-internal.duolingo.com/stories

[edit: the stories are back! See my post from 9.12.2023]

Last edited by PtolemysXX on Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jacko079
United States of America

Re: stories in the new path are gone

Post by Jacko079 »

I searched Reddit’s r/Duolingo quickly, it seems a few other people also are having the same problem as you.

You can try submitting a bug report to Duolingo here, but you might just have to continue to learn the Korean stories using internal Duolingo.

It is worth a try submitting a bug report, but Duolingo doesn’t seem to fix their problems quickly.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Re: Korean stories are gone

Post by PtolemysXX »

Update: the Korean stories are gone altogether. They are available neither on the path, nor on the tree. Strangely, I can find no comments about it on the web. The last time someone mentioned the disappearance of Korean stories was some 6 months ago. Nothing since then. As if some invisible hand were erasing all relevant posts... I began to doubt whether the stories really existed - maybe I was just daydreaming. I wasn't. I did them all. I checked my notes and although I do not have any screenshots I did document the titles of most of the stories and recorded some vocabulary. I am listing the titles here (some are missing) with the hope that someone can locate the stories somewhere or provide some hints what happened to them...

Section # English title Korean title
1 1 Good Morning! 좋은 아침
2 A Date
3 Big Family
4 The Passport
2 1 Honeymoon 신혼여행
2 --- missing ---
3 New Coat 새코트
4 Vegetarian 채식주의자
3 1 Vacation clothes 휴가패션
2 Coffee please 커피주세요
3 Can I have it 이거사도돼요
4 Find my girlfriend 제여자친구를찾아주세요
4 1 Basketball player 농구선수
2 Two tickets please 티켓두장주세요
3 Thanks 고마워
4 The dance class 댄스수업
5 1 Junior's exercise 주니어의운동
2 Garden 정원
3 The perfect person 딱맞는사람
4 Need Help 도와드릴까요
6 1 The perfect person 딱맞는사람
2 Need Help 도와드릴까요
3 Junior's choice 주니어의선택
4 I really want a dog 개를키우고싶어요
7 1 The model 모델
2 Bad painting 형편없는 그림
3 Take my Photo 사진찍어주세요
4 A new sport 새로운 운동
5 Lucy and the dinosaurs 루시와공룡들
6 Day off 쉬는날
Last edited by PtolemysXX on Mon May 01, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

They aren't neither on the Unofficial Duolingo Stories site.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Story 1 - 1 Good Morning

좋은 아침

Good Morning

V: 좋은 아짐이에요, 프리티 ! V: Good morning, Pretty!
P: 좋은 아짐이에요, 비그람 . V: Good morning, Pretty!
P: 내 키는 어디 있어요 ? P: Where is my key?
Priti can’t find her key
V: 당신의 키요 ? V: Your key?
P: 네, 나는 회사에 가야 해요 . P: Yes, I need to go to work.
P: 나는 내 자동차 키가 필요해요 . P: I need my car key.
V: 프리티, 당신의 키는 여기 있어요. 탁자 위에 ! V: Pretty, your key is here, it’s on the table.
P: 미안해요. 나는 지금 피곤해요. 일이 많아요 . P: I’m sorry, I am too tired right now. There’s a lot of work to do.
V: 커피를 마실래요 ? V: Do you want to drink a coffee?
P: 네, 부탁해요 . P: Yes, please.
V: 여기 있어요 . V: Here it is.
P: 설당은 어디 있어요 ? P: where is the sugar?
P: 아, 여기 있어요 . P: Ah, it is here.
프리티가 커피를 마십니다 . Pretty drinks coffee.
P: 우웩 ! P: Ugh!
V: 왜요 ? V: What's the problem?
P: 이것은 소근이에요 . P: This is salt!
V: 프리티, 당신은 정말 피곤해요 ! V: Pretty, you are really tired!
P: 네, 맞아요 . P: Yes, you are right
P: 나는 커피를 다시 마실래요 . P: I would like to drink another coffee.
P: 소금이 아니고 설탕을 넣어서요 . P: I will put sugar not salt.

Story recovered thanks to this youtube video:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

For anyone not being able to listen to the audio (e.g. 좋은 아침 ), the tag [voice]:

• works on Chrome (Version 113.0.5672.127)
  • doesn't seem to work on Brave (Version 1.52.117 Chromium: 114.0.5735.90)

Antinomy - Imagination

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I realize that depending on the browser, operating system, maybe some other factors voice will be missing. I have the same problem with some other languages; it may also happen that google uses a wrong language scheme for voice generation and what comes out is pure garbage...
This is just an attempt on my part to see whether the automatic speech generator can produce any useful result. That's arguable. It is definitely not nearly so good as the original duolingo stories. Anyway, since this story is the only one I could find on the web there will be no follow up :D

Last edited by PtolemysXX on Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:38 pm

I realize that depending on the browser, operating system, maybe some other factors voice will be missing. I have the same problem with some other languages; it may also happen that google uses a wrong language scheme for voice generation and what comes out is pure garbage...
This is just an attempt on my part to see the automatic speech generator can produce any useful result. That's arguable. It is definitely not nearly so good as the original duolingo stories. Anyway, since this story is the only one I could find on the web there will be no follow up :D

It was great of you using this tag, I didn't know about it! So it was interesting for me to "discover" it ;)

At first, when I heard nothing, I thought that that might have to do with the code, that is was something pasted from a different kind of page, but when I saw the tag it seemed obvious that it should have worked and so I tried with Chrome, where it did work.

Well, some audio is better than none. I would have imagined that Google's audio would have been better than Duo's! I found your observation surprising.

I didn't comment it, but I thought it… one done, twenty more to go! Too bad that this was the only copy you found. I am sure that sooner or later they will start to be published at the unofficial site.

Eventhough I understand that bringing a lot of text, sentences, etc in here can be… I don't know what word to use… like bothersome to others at times, it's in situations like these that I see the value of rescuing them and posting them in here.

Antinomy - Imagination

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

gmads wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:26 pm

For anyone not being able to listen to the audio (e.g. 좋은 아침 ), the tag [voice]:

• works on Chrome (Version 113.0.5672.127)

Also works on Firefox Nightly 115.0a1@Android 11 (Miui 12.5).

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Return to “Korean”