Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Giving up on Duolingo

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

GrahamW
Canada

Giving up on Duolingo

Post by GrahamW »

After 5 years of being an enthusiastic Duolingo user, who's done 21,515 lessons and practices (yes, I keep track:-) across 7 languages, I find that I no longer enjoy the learning experience that the Path offers. If you'd asked me a week ago if I was going to feel this way, I'd have said, "No way!" But feelings and enjoyment are a funny thing, and I'm shocked how quickly this has happened for me. You might think that I haven't given the Path a fair chance, but in some ways this was the final straw, I've found that I've actively disliked doing what was offered to me on the Path and it was a chore. It's made me realize how the choices available in the past were a wonderful thing.
So today was my first day of doing just 1 practice to record my dismay, no matter how insignificant. I did a similar one-person protest when German was my language-of-the-year in 2021 and Duolingo completely ruined the tree with a couple of abysmal tree updates. Fortunately it was late in the year, so I'd already covered most of what I wanted to cover.
I have no problem with Duolingo doing whatever they wish with their product, and I've admired them for providing their service for free. I'm sure that they must be looking for a different user base to the one that I belong to. I've lived through quite a number Duolingo changes that I consider degradations, and until now, none of them pushed me over the threshold of not enjoying using it.
However, I will mention one here that came close. When the forums closed earlier this year, I didn't care so much, because I saw that Duome was going to fill the void, and Duome does quite a number of things so much better than Duolingo does. I'm pleased to say that my feeling on that was correct, as the Duome forum is superior. However, I did feel seriously misled by Duolingo when they said that they were keeping the Sentence Forums. To me, that was one of their valuable features, as you could instantly get information about a sentence problem from other users and native language speakers. Perhaps I misread Duolingo's statement about this, but I thought that they were going to continue the Sentence Forums actively. So when I discovered that they had become read-only, not allowing further comments, I was quite (fill-in-the-blanks)-ed.
I think I might write some further topic-specific posts here about my experiences with Duolingo changes, as I have more time on my hands now :-)
Anyway, with the change to the Path format I've reached the tipping point. Yes, I know there are workarounds, but I'm not willing to put the effort to avoid (possible only temporarily) going in the direction in which Duolingo is taking it's product.
My belief is that the key to the retention of employees or users is to ensure that they never want to look elsewhere, but once they start looking, you never get them back. In my case, there is no change that would have improved my enjoyment of Duolingo, so they simply had to do nothing to retain me. If they had offered an option to stay with "Duolingo Classic" for a paid subscription, I would have taken it. But it's too late now, as I'm going to be spending my discretionary time on other interests that I've somewhat neglected, and the time available will have been filled. I'll still follow these forums, and it will be interesting to see how the Path works out for Duolingo.
In closing, I've never written to Duolingo, but I think that I may now. Over the years I've seen references to a Customer Service group, so I did a quick web search. Before I found what I was looking for (can anyone provide the address please?), the first thing that grabbed my attention was this. I've never heard of Trustpilot, so I have no opinion about it.
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/duolingo.com
One final thought. My Duolingo experience would have been nowhere near where what it has been without Duome. The folks behind it seem to be anonymous, though at one time I thought it was FieryCat, and maybe it was. But whoever you all are, many thanks for the ride!

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Giving up on Duolingo

Post by IceVajal »

I guess, if I had used Duolingo as much as you, I would give up, too. And I agree, they should give a chance to stick to the old version. Even if I wouldn't pay for it. 😉
I just use Duolingo for less than a year and the path don't effect it, coz most time I spend on other apps. Like Mondly, Qlango, Drops, Memrise and checking out others like Falou, Busuu and Lingodeer. Some can be used for free, others need a subscription, but I usually waited til they offer a big discount - preferably on a lifetime subscription.

At the end of the day we either adjust to the path or move on. Unfortunately Duolingo doesn't care.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

In the Reddit AMA Dr. Luis von Ahn has confirmed they don't want to keep and maintain the old tree concept.
Too bad for all of us more experienced long-term users.
Laddering- and reverse trees make much more sense on the old tree design.
As I still have the old tree I'm currently focusing on all dedicated verb- and grammar skills for the Portuguese course.

After one year of Busuu I had plans to come back to Duolingo and to start the French from Portuguese (and from German) course and to continue with English from Portuguese as my ultra-long reverse tree.
These two PT and FR courses make a lot of fun when you read out all the skill names, what is hidden behind a specific verb tense and how a French verb tense would map to the Portuguese tense.
When I click on those grammar skill names I need to have time, be prepared with reading the tips and want to know when I have finished the lessons.

When you already know Portuguese for six years and French for one year (Busuu has hard example sentences, a quick pace, full dialoges, complicated videos, reading texts) I want to make the decisions when I level up, how many 2-4 L1 crown levels I want to work on; there's no need that a dev from Duolingo HQ guesses what he/she wants to force me into and for how long.

I saw the path design for my Portuguese tree and took a very quick look when I had deleted the classrooms earlier this year when I tried around with my Germany from English reverse tree.
Just horrible.
Circles with no names, a lot of progress was not there (grey areas) and the golden owl is gone of course.
How can a linguistic team damage a well-thought out Portuguese course with dedicated self-explanatory skill names (grammar, verbs, theme topics, prepositions 1-3, contractions 1-3, demonstratives, etc.) that much by removing any useful description from the Home/Learn page.

I never started the French from English (contributor tree3) course in 2018 when I caught it because of fear I'm going to lose my current progress with the CEFR redesign.
Now there would have been a chance to come back to Duolingo and continue with French from 2-3 languages.

Duolingo staff NEVER had replied to my bug report about eratically erasing my German<-English reverse tree last year (wanted to delete the Spanish progress, not German).
I couldn't bother with doing checkpoint tests, getting back to the last 2-3 sections and redoing the remaining skills and/or completing earlier sections and outstanding skills.
As I had stopped this course I doubt I will ever come back to doing Duolingo English<->German lessons.
Busuu C1/B2 and B1 as well as Business English content looked more promising and the PremiumPlus subscription included everything....but I only a few exams and focus on French.
Thought I could maybe manage 3 languages in parallel but some personal stuff in life prevented it.

We adults are clearly not the focus group of Duolingo anymore.

Try your luck with registering a classroom at schools.duolingo.com (as a teacher) where I could activate the old layout several months ago.
Under the created classroom there is a 4th tab called Configurations. There you must toggle the design as long as it exists.
You don't get newest A/B trees with a teacher or student account and it affects all languages / your whole account
You can continue on www.duolingo.com/learn (no need to register a separate student account).

Not sure if it's worth the trouble as staff will probably remove all the old code next couple of weeks.
I doubt I can continue with Duolingo that much long (beyond end of this year) with the good old tree design.

Thanks god I found Duolingo end of 2016 and had the pleasure to learn Brazilian Portuguese with the contributor course, Non-CEFR curriculum and a classic course (tree) view.
Wouldn't want to miss the time.
Let's see how long I can still work a bit on the dedicated grammar- and verb tense skills.

I signed a petition (found it on their Twitter channel posted by a user) several weeks ago.
Sadly to say neither this nor tree XP work on selected skills and higher crown levels will change anything.
Dr. Luis von Ahn is still quoting their very nice A/B metrics about the new path so none of their users shall be asked what he/she actually wants.
Can't believe their Plus/Super subscriptions didn't take a massive hit. I heard several (how many??) users had cancelled their subscription already.
Maybe with the next Black Friday / New Year's selling round this will get more accurate data if sales goes void.

Too bad Busuu is too quickly paced for their A1 and A2 French beginner courses.
But now I'm adding Mosalinga as well.
We can also try Pimsleur for one month as they give a 50% off discount (app monthly Premium subscription) for the very first month so I have 30 days to complete 30 lessons (one level) in 1-2 languages.

Greetings from Germany

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

it's quite obvious that they wouldn't be keeping the old tree, it doesn't make sense to maintain 2 trees at once and if they wanted to keep the old tree they wouldn'ta introduced the new 1 in the first place 🙄

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

[mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] Hey, Thomas, I didn't know you were on here! You've made my day, as I've missed the many thoughtful and informative contributions that you made over the years on the Duolingo Forum! If I ever get round to writing my planned post on "The decline of spaced-repetition in Duolingo", I'll be mentioning your identification of the "dead words issue"! :-)
I'm coming to terms with dropping Duolingo, as I have no real need to learn other languages. I was only doing it for fun, and when the fun is taken away ...

Willson
Morocco

Post by Willson »

Hello everyone, I'm Willson, 27 M.
Duolingo has taught me a lot about general languages and I use it every time I am planning to visit a certain country. I love to travel the world on a private jet, It's something I enjoy for real. I became multilingual! speaking more than 6 languages worldwide, mainly ( English, French, Arabic, Spanish, Hebrew, and Italian), I know the most used sentences in many other languages too, I love Duolingo!

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Willson wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:18 pm

...I love to travel the world on a private jet...I love Duolingo!

Hi, [mention]Willson[/mention] ,

I still love Duolingo too, although I'm curremtly just happily wandering through the legendary levels, so I haven't yet really seen how the recent changes will affect my learning or enjoyment in general.

Do you really own or hire yout own private (as in personal) jet?!? Or is that a bit "lost in translation"? :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

I've been giving some thought to why I now somewhat illogically dislike using Duolingo. As I'm only doing it for fun, and I'm now not enjoying it, I wondered why? I think a significant aspect is the extremely restricted choice that the Path gives me. I have 7 active languages, and in each one I have only one lesson that I can do next, and I only have one practice that I can do (without the pressure of losing hearts), and when I do that practice, I don't know what aspect of the language Duo is going to give me.
Compare that with my Trees when I lost them. Across my 7 languages, I had a choice of doing a lesson in any of 501 Skills and doing a practice in any of 339 completed Skills (and even better, I knew what the Skill was that I was going to practice). I think that part of the fun for me was deciding how I wanted to use my time on Duolingo at any particular moment, and now that's gone.
I hope that Luis von Ahn gets up every morning and his partner tells him what he's going to do that day whether he wants to or not.

An unrelated thought. I've never been a fan of the Leagues, but in checking how my progress towards demotion is going (I'm only doing a couple of practices a day to try to retain some of what I've learned), I see that after 3 full days, only 5 people in my league have over 1,000 XP (and only one above 2,000). I don't ever recall seeing such low participation, so this very limited data that I have access to would seem to indicate that others are also less engaged with Duolingo now.

slamRN
United States of America

Post by slamRN »

So is that what these changes are called, Path? I hate it. I cannot keep track where I am now and I miss the section which keeps track of my vocabulary. I also miss the German stories. I am doing Yiddish mostly now but I needed to go back to German (from English) because so many things were added. I am thinking of quitting after a streak of 1978 days. - slamRN

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

There are still stories in the German path.

For example, if you past this first unit, this link will take you to the first story.

This resource may also interest you : viewtopic.php?t=1211-duolingo-stories-g ... ed-stories
It even gives you access to audio - for all stories that I was able to access the audio.

To get a bit of an overview of the course, check out this link : viewtopic.php?t=8669-german-from-englis ... -114-units

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I have also just created this for you, and hopefully it will be of use to others.

viewtopic.php?t=8835-german-for-english ... -unit-path

Willson
Morocco

Post by Willson »

Davey944676 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:45 pm
Willson wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:18 pm

...I love to travel the world on a private jet...I love Duolingo!

Hi, @Willson ,

I still love Duolingo too, although I'm currently just happily wandering through the legendary levels, so I haven't yet really seen how the recent changes will affect my learning or enjoyment in general.

Do you really own or hire your own private (as in personal) jet?!? Or is that a bit "lost in translation"? :)

Hi there!
Yeah, I still use Duolingo too, I enjoy getting to new levels too, you can unlock new challenges and try improving your language by speaking what you have learned so far, Good luck!

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hi [mention]GrahamW[/mention],

hope you're still with us a bit.
You have recently started Chinese Mandarin?

Here is some more background info from linked threads.
Feel free to try out these things, maybe they work for you so you can continue using Duolingo for a bit longer.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:43 pm

For now I was able to complete the last 2-3 checkpoints for my German reverse tree on the www-internal sub domain and the golden owl is finally registered on the Duome progress and user profile page.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:40 pm

I'm using the mobile app V5.52.5 from 16. April 2022 on Android.

Works so far without the new path/snake (old tree design)

However it's not the same anymore for reverse- and laddering trees as there is no audio for the source language; you actually need Camilo's TreeEnhancer userscript on the web portal to enable audio, hide text, hide images, etc.

The Android app is quite limited as it doesn't allow free typing on lower crown levels.

Another workaround URL for the old tree design: https://www-internal.duolingo.com

Unfortunately I do have some sync issues with the old Android app and that www-internal Web URL.

Let's go into more detail:
The app doesn't show any learned skills (crowns level 1) for the last section #5 and #6, nor a golden owl.
Will try to fix Camilo's userscript for that www-internal sub domain (@match header tag) and hope the best.
Several questions about the experience from users about successful synchronization ways...

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

For a while I have stayed on DL mainly because of the 'events': practical lessons with a host available for most common languages. Paying lessons get few learners and even free lessons (wherever available) are not overcrowded. It has been handy that 250 XP were awarded for attending a lesson. Yes, you have to talk: hence to overcome your inhibitions to use a new language. But after all that's why you started with DL didn't you?

You notice I'm writing mostly in the passed tense. This is because DL has decided to 'retire' the events (recently renamed to 'classes') from 18 Jan onward. Oh I hate those euphemisms. The forum being retired was only a minor concern, the dictionaries and word lists being retired were more cumbersome. The trees and crowns being retired are the final straw.
I will probably 'retire from the leagues' and I'm wondering if I will hold on to DL much longer whenever the trees are completely disabled (even for website users like me).

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Thanks for this heads up [mention]SweNedGuy[/mention] .

I am also sad to find out about this news.
And agree with you about the other losses.

hwyadencloff
Wales

Post by hwyadencloff »

I too seem to have similarly reached a x-roads with DL. (I have already raised, with the Duolingo help centre, all of the questions & concerns that follow, but I have not yet received any response from them)

I have reached Legendary Status in all 69 subject/topic units on the current path. So where do I go from here? There seems to be no clear and logical ‘next step’, to continue building my development in learning my language of study (Welsh), within DL.

Instead, I seem to be left with a state of treading water – just repeating exercises on the Practice Hub, (barbel icon)

And even then there are problems with the Practice Hub itself. First – it’s not available, at all, on the DL app on my Android tablet. Second – even though the Practice Hub is available on the DL app on my iPhone, only 14 subject topics appear on the DL app there, compared to the original 69, so the range covered by the Practice Hub in the DL app on the iPhone is very limited, and so in turn, using it becomes quite repetitive – I can see that it’s not getting to many of the original subjects/topics at all. Hence the feeling of treading water.

The only place that currently offers the PH together with all 69 subjects/topics is the Duolingo website accessed via my laptop website browser. And in general, I prefer using either the iPhone (top pick) & my Android tablet (2nd pick) – because, obviously, they’re so much more convenient & easily used on the go

(There are also several other discrepancies between each of the two DL apps - iPhone & Android tablet, and also, between each of them and the DL website on the laptop – but the above one concerning the Practice Hub, & feeling generally stalled, is probably the most important flaw right now)

So maybe I should look for a more advanced on line learning facility elsewhere – particularly as I really need to ramp up my conversational abilities – reaction times in particular – by means of more actual conversational experience? So, any relevant advice/suggestions as to whether I should stick or twist would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Legendary crowns is the last (6th) level on crowns for skills/topics (old tree).

I heard the new path/snake has less than 5-6 levels.

You maybe could manually install an older version of the Android app (5.52.5) to get the old tree design back with all crown levels.

For how long have you been learning Welsh? 1-2 years?
Did you only complete the first 1-2 or 3 crown levels?

hwyadencloff wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:42 pm

So where do I go from here? There seems to be no clear and logical ‘next step’, to continue building my development in learning my language of study (Welsh), within DL.

No reverse tree/ course exists for native Welsh speakers (to learn English), so you can't start a reverse- and laddering tree here.
I guess you're done on DL.

So maybe I should look for a more advanced on line learning facility elsewhere – particularly as I really need to ramp up my conversational abilities – reaction times in particular – by means of more actual conversational experience? So, any relevant advice/suggestions as to whether I should stick or twist would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Glossika has a FREE Welsh course.
Memrise (Web) might have user-created courses from other resources.

Clozemaster also offers Welsh.

Mondly, Busuu don't.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] The snake only has 3 levels, after that any learning is done via review. Here is the beginning of the Hebrew tree under the snake.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

hwyadencloff
Wales

Post by hwyadencloff »

Many thanks - am already following up on several of your suggestions

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

..just repeating exercises on the Practice Hub, (barbel icon)

And even then there are problems with the Practice Hub itself.
First – it’s not available, at all, on the DL app on my Android tablet.
Second – even though the Practice Hub is available on the DL app on my iPhone, only 14 subject topics appear on the DL app there, compared to the original 69, so the range covered by the Practice Hub in the DL app on the iPhone is very limited, and so in turn, using it becomes quite repetitive – I can see that it’s not getting to many of the original subjects/topics at all. Hence the feeling of treading water.

The only place that currently offers the PH together with all 69 subjects/topics is the Duolingo website accessed via my laptop website browser.

Unfortunately the path website makes no sense for my Portuguese course.
Too many changes in January and February 2023 made it useless for me.
Camilo's TreeEnhancer userscript shows no configure settings button and many challenges are broken (too many web code changes by statf).
www-internal is gone.

Would need to use the other complicated web workaround for my En<-Pt reverse tree.

Also I simply can't access the www.duolingo.com/practice-hub and practice-hub/stories pages anymore since they've updated my account to the new profile/ daily tasks quests.
Gone.
Maybe only Super buyers have it nowadays despite their blog announcement from 2022 to keep one thing free.

Before I could review completed stories in listen mode (hidden text, but only for one speaker).

..(...)..

If you have not reached all five crown levels + Legendary I would have suggested installing the older Android app V5.52.5 which gives your access back to the old tree.

If you've completed EVERYTHING already before on the tree this means you're done if you don't want to focus/repeat Legendary levels on the path. Someone posted the Urls for the hidden level per unit.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Luckily I'm not done with the Portuguese course/tree.

Picked three dedicated Subjunctive skill lessons yesterday (we have four skills in the tree), sitting on a park bench... searched for some places to catch the sun where no tree or new neighbor house 6.5m high holds back the sun in the afternoon/evening.

Worked pretty well on the Android phone...but with only one cached lesson per skill in OFFLINE mode.

As I truly miss Camilo's TreeEnhancer userscript for Portuguese audio I will check and do the extra work to maybe get the reverse tree back with old code and website injection.

Bigger issue now that the new path website forces tapping of word banks for the base/source language.
Annoying for English, but unbearable for Portuguese if I want to practice sentence construction and more difficult concepts.

The old Android app does it mixed for L3+ crowns and even gives me typing for L2 crowns here and there (both directions). Could be worse.

Not sure if I should "upgrade" from V5.52.5 to V5.6x or V5.7x without being punished with the path/snake. What's your experience?

Also I'm not sure if something there works less good for typing options or any better with "newer" Android app versions...

Perfect would be to get the cartoon characters away from the Android app...

......without breaking its functionality like layout, overlapping cartoons into the text field, autofill of answers,... I've seen a lot of bad and ridiculous stuff on the app before from the devs...

I'm really surprised I actually want to use the app on the phone vs the path website as I was a die-hard opponent of the Android app and tapping for so long (really old versions did something better, but several V3.xxx updates just made it worse; Landscape mode on Bluestacks had its limits in 2017/18 and auto-fill of answer / word bubble was a complete joke).

Voice to text / Speech to text IMHO works a bit better on the app than in Firefox Nightly with Gboard, dunno why.

Always joked around that we can turn OFF the brain or watch TV if we only need to use word banks (like Mondly).
But if there's a mix and I can review complicated verb tenses and the sentence is ultra long it's OK for me.
Thankfully the crowns update in 2018 brought several suspended sentences back.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Truly wish there were a specific repeat button so I could endlessly test multiple answers from the sentence discussions or my own tries.

Now I try one thing and if I'm right or the SD answer was already added I immediately pass.
Won't help for the rest of the 2-5 alternative answer solutions I wanted to try as the complicated question / translate exercise is gone from the queue.

Return to “Duolingo”