Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Je me suis décidé... Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Jim606185
Australia

Je me suis décidé...

Post by Jim606185 »

In English we can say "I decided to go to to Paris" or "I decided on France for my vacation" . We can also say "I made up my mind to go the France this year", which is a stronger statement. We often say "I finally made up my mind to...."

I just found that you can make J'ai décidé stronger too by saying "je me suis décidé." such as :

"Pour mes vacances je me suis décidé pour la France. "

Is it better to say "Je me suis décidé de me battre pour mes droits" or "J'ai pris ma décision de me battre pour mes droits" or ""J'ai décidé de me battre pour mes droits"

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

Destal
France

Re: Je me suis décidé...

Post by Destal »

I would rather say "Je me suis décidé à faire quelque chose..." than "Je me suis décidé de faire quelque chose...".

"Je me suis décidé" conveys the idea of "I wasn't sure about it but finally made up my mind". Typically, if your child takes time to choose a flavour of ice cream in a restaurant, you could say (from soft and patient to strong and upset):

• Alors, tu t'es décidé ?
  • Bon, tu te décides ?!
  • Décide-toi !

"Je me suis décidé à me battre pour mes droits" conveys the idea that you hesitated, you thought about it a lot, but also now you are really motivated, you took an important decision.

With the very same meaning, there is "Je suis décidé à me battre pour mes droits" (here the verbe is not "se décider" but "être", "décidé" being an adjective).

"J'ai décidé de me battre pour mes droits" is rather neutral.

Jim606185
Australia

Re: Je me suis décidé...

Post by Jim606185 »

Merci de m’aider à comprendre.

Et la différence entre " à" et "de" C’est quelque chose que je dois améliorer.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

Return to “Questions”