Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Accents on question words that aren’t forming a question

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

zhukant
United States of America

Accents on question words that aren’t forming a question

Post by zhukant »

I would like to know why “Ellos siempre olvidan dónde vivo.” always requires the accent on “dónde” in DuoLingo, but “¿Por qué no vamos adonde vives?” must have no accent on “adonde”. I’ve had the opportunity to try both in both ways, and Duo explicitly prefers it the way I described. Thanks!

gmads
Mexico

Re: Accents on question words that aren’t forming a question

Post by gmads »

zhukant wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:45 pm

I would like to know why “Ellos siempre olvidan dónde vivo.” always requires the accent on “dónde” in DuoLingo, but “¿Por qué no vamos adonde vives?” must have no accent on “adonde”. I’ve had the opportunity to try both in both ways, and Duo explicitly prefers it the way I described. Thanks!

¿Qué diferencia hay entre dónde y donde?

Dónde es un adverbio interrogativo o exclamativo de lugar; se emplea tanto para introducir una pregunta, como para exclamaciones. Donde, por su lado, es un adverbio relativo de lugar, es decir, que se usa para introducir oraciones que indican relaciones de lugar.

"Dónde" (where) is an interrogative or exclamatory adverb of place; It is used both to introduce a question and exclamations. "Donde" (where), on the other hand, is a relative adverb of place, that is, it is used to introduce sentences that indicate place relationships.

RAE: dónde. 1. Adverbio interrogativo o exclamativo de lugar. Es palabra tónica que debe escribirse con tilde, a diferencia del adverbio relativo donde. Introduce enunciados interrogativos o exclamativos directos, y oraciones subordinadas interrogativas o exclamativas indirectas.

1. Interrogative or exclamatory adverb of place. It is a stressed word that must be written with an accent, unlike the relative adverb where. Introduces direct interrogative or exclamatory sentences, and indirect interrogative or exclamatory subordinate clauses.

• ellos siempre olvidan dónde vivo (they always forget where I live)

RAE: donde. 1. Adverbio relativo de lugar que introduce oraciones subordinadas con antecedente o sin él: «Fueron hasta la casa donde él se alojaba»

1. Relative adverb of place that introduces subordinate clauses with or without an antecedent: «They went to the house where he was staying»

• ¿por qué no vamos a donde vives? (why don't we go where you live?)

Los adverbios relativos donde, cuando, cuanto, como

Relative adverbs allow us to add information about the time, place, quantity, and manner in which something happens.

:hash:  ㆍespañol ㆍgramática

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Language”