Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

French Swear Words

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

trackerwannabe
United States of America

French Swear Words

Post by trackerwannabe »

If you're easily offended, please don't click on the link below. It should come as no surprise that it is littered with crude language.

That having been said, I ran across an article entitled "51 French Swear Words to Curse and Cuss Like a Local."
I find it fascinating that some of them are related, in some way, to religion.

Anglo-American (English): Native // Français (French): Intermediate // Deutsch (German): Beginner

Saperlipopette!

Re: French Swear Words

Post by Saperlipopette! »

The ones related to religion are the sacrés of Québec. They even have a song:

There's more about the ones in France in Gros Mots.

Gotainer's song is the closest I found to the a song about French jurons. I think the classic is George Carlin's comedy bit on American curse words

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

tbh all of the French "swear" words are very mild, you could even say that French doesn't even have swear words

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

It all depends where your levels are set. What you paradigm settings are.

One thing that often amuses me is the culture in America where it is considered rude to ask where is the toilet.
One should always ask - where is the bathroom. Even at cafes and cinemas, where there will certainly not be a bath in the room where the toilet is.

And that Duolingo, as it is an American based company, and of the English speakers - it is also its largest market group ;
that it translates into and out of English primarily on the use of "bathroom", rather than using the word "toilet".

While for other English speaking communities, such as Australians, we will usually ask - where is the toilet. Though - we will understand if someone asks where is the bathroom. It is just that many of us - in my experience of my fellow country people, we think it a bit strange to ask where is the bathroom in a restaurant.

Destal
France

Post by Destal »

The quite famous cursing scene by Le Mérovingien (Lambert Wilson) in The Matrix Reloaded:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

To ponder more - on how, well, cultures are different. Such as in America - where it is considered rude to ask and use the word "toilet", to ask where it is,
There is some great history on this.

Including in the lands of Australia.

In our Australian parliaments throughout the land, Federal and State wide, initially, and for decades (was it for a 100ish years ?), toilets were available for Members, Senators and Officials - for men only.

Who knew that toilets would have such a complicated history?
Women had to fight for the right for their own bathroom in ...
Annabel Crabb's Ms Represented: a woman's place is in the House

It is also fascinating to consider how our language - including our swear words - affects the rights of participation of each of us in our community.

Our words - they do matter.

And also the words , as well as first having an idea and a discussion - and a willingness to be inclusive - or desire to power play for the benefit of an individual, or a part of a community over others - what effects it has.
Yes - structural design / physically the world does matter. And the first steps of that - it is not unusually affected/influence/designed by our words. The sharing of ideas, that enable us to be a community.

Return to “French”