Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Progress lost on new path!

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

fremanolas

Progress lost on new path!

Post by fremanolas »

Today I finally received the path-update in the browser (not yet in the android app). I was looking forward to finally trying the path, but I noticed immediately that the progress for my most important tree Spanish from English hasn't been transferred. Although I already have 1093 crowns, the entire tree on level 3 and most of it on level 4, I'm supposed to start in Unit 1 of the path. :roll:
My other trees seem to be alright, at least those I've looked at until now. :?

This is definitely not good :x

Anyway, I wrote to plus_support@duolingo.com and I hope they'll fix it quickly. If I have an update, I'll post it here.

Did anyone have a similar experience?

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

Explorer
Portugal

Re: Progress lost on new path!

Post by Explorer »

I don't have the update yet, but I read on Reddit that some users are reporting the same issue.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Explorer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:50 pm

I don't have the update yet, but some users on Reddit are reporting the same issue.

Thanks.
Anyone reporting having got it fixed yet?

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

fremanolas wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:51 pm

Thanks. Anyone reporting having got it fixed?

I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately Duolingo's technical support doesn't work very well. There's an address for Plus/Super users, but they usually don't even respond to their emails. I'll try to figure out what's going on.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I have had the new path on the web for awhile now, for a couple of months now. My app just updated yesterday, and so I have the new path there too.

I do like the old path better, the new path seems very busy.

Progress wise, I haven’t lost anything. But, before the update, when I would use the web. then go to the app, my app would update the progress in seconds, now, after the update, it takes days.

MsFixer
Japan

Post by MsFixer »

[mention]fremanolas[/mention]
Many Duolingo users are experiencing the same issue and they shared it on Reddit. I saw dozens of such a report everyday.
Also, some users complained that they haven't got the update yet although Duolingo officially announced that all users would get it on November 1st.
I guess the customer support team received thousands of complains. You may need to be patient for a while to get it fixed.

MsFixer with Pulau Bahasa | Native: 🇯🇵 | Learning: 🇮🇩 (B1)

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

MsFixer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:09 am

I guess the customer support team received thousands of complains. You may need to be patient for a while to get it fixed.

Or maybe we should continue sending them as much complains as we can to keep them constantly overloaded until they give up and give us the good old Duolingo back. I know, a desperate attempt... :-(

unterhausen
Andorra

Post by unterhausen »

Deleting progress altogether seems like a pretty big bug and they might actually fix it. I'm pretty sure they decided to delete progress if you had done a lesson but not gotten that skill to level 3. If the majority of skills in one of the new units were completed to level 3 or above, they marked the whole unit as complete. They told the blog writers they were going to do that for legendary, but they did it for all lessons.

I think these problems are because they rushed the switch. I think I see the technical problem that they faced, but they handled it poorly. Basically they decided to get it to work for new users and leave old users to figure it out for themselves. I'm pretty sure all the problems are related to limiting what you could do for your next lesson. I think what they should have done is free it up so that people with trees that would be adversely affected have full freedom of choice of what to do next. I was 3/4 of the way done, but all checkpoints were unlocked, and every skill was at least to level 2. Now I only have 10/197 of the new units left where I can do lessons. That's a lot of lessons I haven't done that they took from me.

luciennet
France

Post by luciennet »

I’d suggest you test out.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Gentianopsis wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:11 pm
MsFixer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:09 am

Or maybe we should continue sending them as much complains as we can to keep them constantly overloaded until they give up and give us the good old Duolingo back. I know, a desperate attempt... :-(

That's not a bad idea! The more people participate, the more they are likely to notice... :geek:

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

MsFixer
Japan

Post by MsFixer »

Many users have already left harsh review comments with one star out of five on Apple App Store, which will directly impact on acquiring prospective users and thereby the corporate profitability. Go to the Store and sort it by "recent comments".
You can also find a similar movement on Twitter with a hashtag #duolingoupdate. It's not only for English speakers. The official Duolingo Japan Twitter account also keeps receiving petitions for roll-back from native Japanese speakers.
Some pro-update and anti-update users yell at each other on Reddit.
I've never seen such a large-scale movement in the past two years. Duolingo made some bad moves in the past, but this one is definitely the most horrible. As a Duolingo alumna, I'm so sad to see this polarized situation.

MsFixer with Pulau Bahasa | Native: 🇯🇵 | Learning: 🇮🇩 (B1)

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

luciennet wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:29 pm

I’d suggest you test out.

Since I still hope they repair it, before they switch my tree to the new path on the smartphone as well, I won't do anything on the browser yet.

Vahidrzgr
Italy

Post by Vahidrzgr »

Tonight, my Duolingo updated itself and in the new path I have lost most of the previous improvements. Please, fix this problem now.
And the previous path was much better!!

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Yesterday I was contacted by the super duolingo support. They said sorry and asked to describe how much I had progressed in the tree so the could "rebuild" the progress. After I had done that based on my still existing tree on the android app, they said "a system limitation had prevented my tree from translating to the new format". And that I could "skip ahead" with the "Jump here" circles. Since that wasn't quite the answer I had hoped for and not particularly helpful I asked the following questions:

• If I skip ahead on the web, what happens to my tree on the android app? Will I lose progress on the app?

• If I skip ahead on the web, what happens when the tree on the android app gets translated to the new path? Will I lose my progress on the app as well?

• How will the two - path on the web / new path on the app - be consolidated?

Then I asked "Please advise me how best to proceed without any more complications."

Until (If) I get any advice I'll stay on the android app hoping that when it finally will be transferred to the path as well it will be done correctly this time.

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Today it happened :!:
My tree was transferred to the path on the android app as well. Same as in the web, I'm supposed to start with unit 1. So I've got no choice but to use the "JUMP HERE?" circles. :roll: :x :(
Let's see how that's gonna work out...

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Ok, I think I can live with it. I used the "JUMP HERE?" circles 25 units at a time and I'm now at unit 100. I plan to continue this way until it's too difficult. That's when I'll start proceeding step by step.

Return to “Duolingo”