Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Account and new learning path

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

ruhanjvr
South Africa

Account and new learning path

Post by ruhanjvr »

Hi. I have been doimg French for close to 900 days now and I thought that I would be getting the new learning path homescreen on the 1st. This has not been the case. When I sign up with a new account amd start French, there it is. New homescreen with learning path. When I sign out and in with my old account, no learning path. The implementation of the new UI therefore seems to be bound to my account rather then my device or course.

Can someone offer me any advice oj how to get the new UI on my old account?

Thanks,

ruhanjvr.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Re: Account and new learning path

Post by Gentianopsis »

To [mention]ruhanjvr[/mention] : As Duolingo is giving the new path to all new students (you confirmed that with your new account), you may just try to start a new language in your old account (you can delete it afterwards any time). I cannot say it will solve your problem though, but once you have the snake for one course, you have it for all your account = all your courses.

However, my suggestion is to try the new path on your new account only and compare which suits you better. As was written many times here, the former skills do not match the lessons in the new path and your legendary skills will get melted in between various lessons of the new path. If you had your notes for all the lessons in the old tree you finished, you can throw them away once you get the new path. That is why some people were suggesting deleting all the unfinished courses they had in the old Duolingo and starting those language over when they get the "snake".

According to what was written in discussions here, there is not much logic in who get the new one path and when. Duolingo obviously wanted to force that to all its students, but as they most likely follow discussions and statistics, they learned that "old students" (studying regularly for years) complain and talk about quitting much more than the new ones. They force the new path on more and more students every day and evaluate. If you get the new path, there is no way back, and at least from my point of view, the new path is really horrible, the course difficulty and content dropped significantly and I do not find it useful for intermediate or advanced adult students at all. In the tree, you have much more freedom to choose what you will learn and exersice and when (thanks to @duome for their effort to help all the unlucky us with "snakes" to continue our favorite old way of study). In the new path, Duolingo chooses the lesson and practise content for you according to their algorithms, which means that you may be getting clicking exercises to pair simple words and "Hello!", "Good morning!", and "The girl eats." sentences every day regardless you reached the legendary level of the course in the previous Duolingo design (and the new path obviously knows that) and need to work on past perfect or some specific vocabulary for example.

ruhanjvr
South Africa

Post by ruhanjvr »

[mention]Gentianopsis[/mention] thanks for the advice. For the moment I have enough faith in Duolingo to believe that in the long run they know what they are foing from a pedagogical standpoint.

Starting the new language on the old account doesn't seem to work as I tried Portuguese and Spanish two very popular languages that both have the new learning path for others.

But I guess I'll have to wait and see, I don't want to lose the nearly 900 day streak I have going so I'd rather just stick it out and see what time brings and if that includes a change in my UI.

Thanks again for all the advice.

georgemabl
United States of America

Post by georgemabl »

What would cause duo's leaders to get so full of themselves that they actually and truly believe there is such a thing as ONE learning style, or ONE Best WAY

Return to “Duolingo”