Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Radical change to Duolingo - Does Duome have a guide? - Is Duome changing?

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

David_Shepheard
Great Britain

Radical change to Duolingo - Does Duome have a guide? - Is Duome changing?

Post by David_Shepheard »

OK, so Duolingo just did a major change (at least on the English speakers learning French course) where lessons and stories have merged into a "Learn" section (and I'm being pushed into paying to 'Review" my previous mistakes).

Here is what I see on the left now:

• Learn

• Review

• Shop

• Classes

• Schools

• Podcast

The first lesson now says "Unit 1: Use basic phrases and greet people" and I see a line of stepping stones leading to Unit 2.

My first two units are purple (legendary). After that, I've not won legendary status in everything.

The stepping stones have ticks, weights, treasure chests and books.

Has anyone on the Duome forums made a list of how all this new stuff relates to what were doing before?

How does this affect my Duome stats? I've not seen anything go purple in my Duome stats. Is Duolingo blocking Duome from reading purpleness? Or does Duome just buy into the idea of making things change to purple?

Do the Duome team need to reboot any of their data capture systems, in order to work with the Duolingo reboot?

I'm listed as "Level 24", which didn't seem to line up to what the old Duolingo was telling me, but the new Duolingo is telling me I'm on Unit 23, which is a lot closer to the score I get from Duome.

I've always preferred the more detailed Duome stats, as Duolingo was kind of making things vague. But having 24 = 23 makes me wonder if you need to have the Duolingo stats, along with the better Duome-style breakdown of lessons.

If you need to do crowdfunding, to pay for Duome to get a catch up reboot, or if you need to recruit people to write guides on how to deal with the Duolingo reboot (in lots of languages), it might be nice to have a pinned topic somewhere. Or maybe you already have this, and I can't find it on the forums.

So, if this is already being talked about, I'd appreciate anyone who can drop a link.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spelling correction

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Native Language: English
Learning: French, Spanish and Klingon

Feebi

Re: Radical chage to Duolingo - Does Duome have a guide? - Is Duome changing?

Post by Feebi »

The most recent changes to the structural layout of duolingo have made it impossible for me to continue my learning strategies, which were significant. It was recommended, and also one strategy I followed, to do several circles simultaneously. This is no longer possible.
Additionally, until I ran out of stories, I read the stories as they came up, but once I completed all of them, it was useful for me to comb the whole set for those I had done the least often, and this enabled me to continue reviewing them as a rich source of idiomatic French.
The newest changes leave me feeling like I've had the learning rug pulled out from under me.
On a positive note, one of the sound problems seems to be fixed, that in the word pairs, the last one now also gets sound which was missing for a long time.
On another positive note, I perceive improvements in the sound that are helpful. One of the voices does seem slower now, but I can't remember which one and I find it better to struggle with the fast voices, because it is better training. My ears are learning and that is a joy.

duome

Post by duome »

David_Shepheard wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Has anyone on the Duome forums made a list of how all this new stuff relates to what were doing before?

We're all in the same boat - trying to understand what's going on and how to survive )

How does this affect my Duome stats? I've not seen anything go purple in my Duome stats. Is Duolingo blocking Duome from reading purpleness?

Previously purpleness was defined as an extra level above the usual amount - we had 5 levels for regular (older) skills and 3 levels for grammar (newer) skills, then they introduced legendary levels so these skills got their L6 and L4 respectively.

With the new path the amount of skill levels is reduced to 3 and I can no longer see any hints to purpleness in the data.

Do the Duome team need to reboot any of their data capture systems, in order to work with the Duolingo reboot?

Probably maybe.. )

I'm listed as "Level 24", which didn't seem to line up to what the old Duolingo was telling me, but the new Duolingo is telling me I'm on Unit 23, which is a lot closer to the score I get from Duome.

Level 24 is based on your XP for French; Unit 23 has nothing to do with L24, later on as you keep doing more lessons and unlock more units you will see that it was merely a coincidence.

...recruit people to write guides on how to deal with the Duolingo reboot (in lots of languages), it might be nice to have a pinned topic somewhere.

This is probably a good point.
Here on the forum we focus mostly on English and just a few other languages.
There are a lot more people out there and they do need assistance in current circumstances.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

duome wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:45 pm

...recruit people to write guides on how to deal with the Duolingo reboot (in lots of languages), it might be nice to have a pinned topic somewhere.

There are a lot more people out there and they do need assistance in current circumstances.

The question is what the guide should be about. I personally do not know anyone happy about the "snake" and we all were searching desperately for chances to continue our learning in the tree design of Duolingo with crowns and 6 levels for each skill, with stories and lessons placed separately etc. Thanks to Duome and its users, we got many useful advices. From my point of view, it would be the best if all the people were using https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn , https://duome.eu/"your-full-Duolingo-us ... "/progress and https://duome.eu/"your-full-Duolingo-user-name"/tree instead of the normal Duolingo web for their study which may force Duolingo to change its mind and give us the good old design back (as they did in the spring after they forced the "snake" to first groups of students and they started to complain and quit). Howerever, I have notices some people who like the "snake" more in Duome discussions and they would probably be much happier about guide for the "snake".

The biggest problem probably is that no-one knows what exactly is Duolingo going to do and when and how it is going to affect all the methods we now use to overcame all the Duolingo obstacles preventing us to continue in our language courses the old "tree" way. :-(

David-Herron
United States of America

Re: Radical change to Duolingo - Does Duome have a guide? - Is Duome changing?

Post by David-Herron »

I've been learning Romanian - and there was a similar change. Sounds like in the French lessons there are "stories" and other things that are not in the Romanian learning tree.

In any case - I've got nearly 1400 day long streak - nearly 4 years - and was nearly done with the full tree. For the fifth level I'd been taking it easy, not rushing to finish, but instead soaking in the knowledge, redoing lesson after lesson to really get it. But ... they've really screwed this up badly. I feel betrayed that four years of work towards a specific goal has gone poof. In other words, has been destroyed by Duolingo.

I've been posting on Twitter, basically amplifying all the messages of others who are expressing anger etc, hoping that Duolingo will see us, hear us, and do something.

I've filed a bug report with Duolingo explaining things - and suggesting they're likely to lose a lot of customers because of this. I've also suggested they add a new page that preserves the previous index of skills.

In the Romanian course all that was there were skill teachings. Each skill lesson is 20 sentences to complete some form of translation exercise.

I've found that the URLs for the skill pages still exists, and that I can still go into the skills and take lessons. I'm working on finding all the skill URLs that I can, but do not have a complete list of skill names.

UPDATE: WAIT, I see in this discussion that DuoME has a page that preserves the old skill tree. This is most excellent and is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for having this. I had had a thought that since Duolingo has an API that this must be available. THANK YOU!!!

In any case, Duolingo should be able to create a page that lists the skills and put a link in the sidebar. I suggested this to the Duolingo team as a solution.

simons19
Ireland

Post by simons19 »

Gentianopsis wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:29 pm
duome wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:45 pm

The question is what the guide should be about. I personally do not know anyone happy about the "snake" and we all were searching desperately for chances to continue our learning in the tree design of Duolingo with crowns and 6 levels for each skill, with stories and lessons placed separately etc. Thanks to Duome and its users, we got many useful advices. From my point of view, it would be the best if all the people were using https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn , https://duome.eu/"your-full-Duolingo-us ... "/progress and https://duome.eu/"your-full-Duolingo-user-name"/tree instead of the normal Duolingo web for their study which may force Duolingo to change its mind and give us the good old design back (as they did in the spring after they forced the "snake" to first groups of students and they started to complain and quit). Howerever, I have notices some people who like the "snake" more in Duome discussions and they would probably be much happier about guide for the "snake".

The biggest problem probably is that no-one knows what exactly is Duolingo going to do and when and how it is going to affect all the methods we now use to overcame all the Duolingo obstacles preventing us to continue in our language courses the old "tree" way. :-(

This is the first time I've heard about https://duome.eu/"your-full-Duolingo-user-name"/tree ! This is great. Why doesn't duome.me pin or highlight this information to allow people to use the tree? There must be many people, like me, who are frustrated and disillusioned with the snake. Why can't I choose which lessons to focus on!

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

[mention]simons19[/mention] Accessing Duolingo lessons from Duome is mentioned in many discussions here. Check this one (a short guide created by Duome team): viewtopic.php?t=49-use-duome-to-see-mor ... olingo-com

Last edited by Gentianopsis on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

As I see it one of the biggest problems is getting Duolingo users to the Duome.eu website. It's not a case of if you build it they will come !

I have posted details of the site in various places. When I have found a useful resource on Tumblr I mention the site. If I post a link to a teacher or other user I again mention.
If every user of the site this month posted details or links the traffic could build. All of these new users will bring their own ideas, resource and knowledge.
I am going to edit my review of the Duolingo app and mention this site. I am closer everyday to leaving anyway so being thrown off won't hurt a lot. I have recently invested in two courses on Udemy and need time with them.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Steve579062 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:18 pm

As I see it one of the biggest problems is getting Duolingo users to the Duome.eu website. It's not a case of if you build it they will come !

This is just a part of the problem, I am afraid, and even the less important one. I am a newcomer to both Duolingo and Duome, but as I understood, Duome was created by Duolingo students who wanted to create some functions they missed on Duolingo. When Duolingo started to close its social media and other functions, Duome tried to fill the gap. Later, Duolingo gave it its discussion fora data and tolerates access to Duolingo lessons from Duome.

But! Duome is not a part of Duolingo. All the access to Duolingo that Duome has is nothing but Duolingo's good will which may end any time. Duolingo wants money, while Duome helps for free and its users even recommend each other not to waste their money on Duolingo paid version. In small numbers, we are just annoying insects Duolingo does not bother to waste energy on, but if all Duolingo users moved to Duome, we would become significant enemies and they would take action to deal with us (to cut us off). Although all of the Duolingo language courses were created for free by volunteers from all over the world, they legaly belong to Duolingo owners in the USA - Duome has no rights to Duolingo course data and cannot do anything about Duolingo decisions.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

simons19 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:23 pm

This is the first time I've heard about https://duome.eu/"your-full-Duolingo-user-name"/tree ! This is great. Why doesn't duome.me pin or highlight this information to allow people to use the tree? There must be many people, like me, who are frustrated and disillusioned with the snake. Why can't I choose which lessons to focus on!

When clicking on any language in your Duome stats you'll see a tree. I suppose some people may not know to click on a skill it to get to individual lessons.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I am not advocating a rebellion against Duolingo. It has very many good qualities for language students. However the closure of forums, removal of access to discussions and a lack of updates to the courses themselves is not good for their students.
Duome provides the assistance to further learning. Someone to guide users. Extra resources that duolingo does not provide.

The game element is great for certain types of learners. Those with the mindset to build points whilst still learning. Other, probably the older generation or more serious learners need a different style of learning. Some need to know why a sentence is used differently for gender or age.
These two different styles of learning will decide for themselves how useful Duome is for them. For every user that Duome steers away from Duolingo it can also assist to grow their customers base with an equal amount.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Jim606185
Australia

Post by Jim606185 »

I know of several people in poorer countries who are unable to afford to update their technology, and have consequently dropped out of using Duolingo. To take one example, this person used to run the Duolingo app on their old iPad. Then, when a new version of the app appeared, they couldn't update their OS to enable the new app to function. No problem, they switched to using a browser on their iPad. Now just recently, they received a message saying that they would have to install a new browser. No more free language lessons.

Many people must be in the same boat. If the mission is really to make language learning available to more people all over the world free of charge, then they are losing the plot. Surely there must be potential for a bare bones version of Duolingo that doesn't have all the fancy animated characters etc?

I know this is not Duolingo, but Duolingo doesn't have a forum like this.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Very good point. Let's hope someone at Duolingo reads that.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Jim606185 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:32 am

I know of several people in poorer countries who are unable to afford to update their technology, and have consequently dropped out of using Duolingo. To take one example, this person used to run the Duolingo app on their old iPad. Then, when a new version of the app appeared, they couldn't update their OS to enable the new app to function. No problem, they switched to using a browser on their iPad. Now just recently, they received a message saying that they would have to install a new browser. No more free language lessons.

Many people must be in the same boat. If the mission is really to make language learning available to more people all over the world free of charge, then they are losing the plot. Surely there must be potential for a bare bones version of Duolingo that doesn't have all the fancy animated characters etc?

I know this is not Duolingo, but Duolingo doesn't have a forum like this.

This would be a good post to post on reddit for the Louis Von Ahn, CEO of Duolingo

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Requests new Duome features”