Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Double Negation and Word Placement

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

kuriouskat21
Canada

Double Negation and Word Placement

Post by kuriouskat21 »

I understand that in a double negative the second negative word goes after the verb. But what happens when there are two verbs, or three? Does it go after the first verb or the second verb? For example, would it be:

No quiero hablar contigo mas.
No quiero mas hablar contigo.

Or another example:

No necesito darte nada
No necesito nada darte

gmads
Mexico

Re: Double Negation and Word Placement

Post by gmads »

kuriouskat21 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:34 am

I understand that in a double negative the second negative word goes after the verb. But what happens when there are two verbs, or three? Does it go after the first verb or the second verb? For example, would it be:

No quiero hablar contigo mas.
No quiero mas hablar contigo.

Or another example:

No necesito darte nada
No necesito nada darte

Good question. It would go after the last verb:

No quiero hablar más contigo
No necesito darle nada a mi vecino

:hash:  ㆍespañol ㆍgramática

Last edited by gmads on Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Regarding the word order, Spanish is a fairly flexible language.

• No quiero hablar contigo más
  • No quiero hablar más contigo
  • No quiero más hablar contigo

They are all correct.

kuriouskat21 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:34 am

No necesito darte nada
No necesito nada darte

In this case the first one sounds more natural. I think it's a bit unusual to put the second verb at the end of the sentence.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

May this be because of the strong association of the object to dar?

In the examples with hablar, it seems more flexible to me.

Do you have a favourite way to say it [mention]Explorer[/mention]? I'd guess your examples differ in emphasis, yet I may be wrong.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I think it's because those sentences have different types of complements. Más is an adverbial complement, whereas -te and nada are indirect and direct objects respectively. Adverbs generally can appear almost anywhere in the sentence.

Cifi wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:54 pm

Do you have a favourite way to say it @Explorer? I'd guess your examples differ in emphasis, yet I may be wrong.

You may be right. But honestly, I don't see much difference. Prosody, that is the intensity with which you pronounce every word, can be much more important than the word order itself. I would like to know [mention]gmads[/mention]' opinon on this regard.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

My bad, I didn't even realise that nada is an adverb. I took it for a replacement of the direct object in that sentence.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Nada can actually act both as a noun or an adverb. In the example given by [mention]kuriouskat21[/mention] it's indeed a noun and it functions as a direct object. Doesn't it? The point is that, if there's an indirect object pronoun attached to an infinitive (dar-te), then the direct object usually goes after.

Examples:

• ¿No quieres contarme tu secreto? ¿No quieres tu secreto contarme?
  • No puedo decirte nada. No puedo nada decirte.

Más, meaning anymore, is an adverb that can be placed in different positions of the sentence. Adverb position is very flexible in Spanish. That's why the examples above are all correct, at least to the ears of a speaker from Spain.

Here is an example with the adverb "ya" that illustrates very well this flexibility I am talking about:

• Tú ya sabes
  • Tú sabes ya
  • Ya sabes tú
  • Ya tú sabes (commonly said in the Caribbean)

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

@explorer @cifi Nada is an indefite pronoun and as such is used like a noun. It can be the subject or the object of a sentence. With regard to the sentence in the example: In German, there is a double meaning of no querer más una cosa. It can be that you don't want it any longer or that you want it more than ever before. There is a poem by Ulla Hahn that plays with ambiguity: "Nie mehr": "Das hab' ich nie mehr gewollt", no he querido eso más. If you turn it around, the sentence loses this ambiguity: "Mehr hab' ich das nie gewollt".

Return to “Language”