Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] 'Dw i eisiau/angen' and 'Dw i'n moyn'

Fnirk1
Sweden

[ARCHIVE] 'Dw i eisiau/angen' and 'Dw i'n moyn'

Post by Fnirk1 »

Originally posted by: ibisc https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/13902406

This has come up quite often in various 'Sentence' discussions around wants and needs. Here is a summary of what is going on.

With eisiau/angen there is no yn after the verb. This is a common usage all over Wales. It is an exceptional construction with these two nouns when used is this way:

• Dw i eisiau car newydd (I want a new car)
  • Dw i angen car newydd (I need a new car)

But, using the verb-noun moyn, as found in some regions of Wales:

• Dw i'n moyn car newydd (I want a new car) - 'n/yn is required in the usual way because moyn/mofyn/ymofyn is a verb-noun (wanting/to want).

In some more formal text you will occasionally see a construction which explains what might be going on with the nouns eisiau and angen :

• Dw i ag eisiau lifft - (literally 'I am with a want of a lift')
  • Mae e ag angen arian - (he is with a need of money)

and perhaps what has happened is that the expressions are so common that the â/ag has been dropped from common colloquial usage (and so Duo does not accept the construction with ag ).

A more common, more formal construction with eisiau and angen is with the use of ar:

• Mae angen cymorth cyntaf ar Dewi (Dewi needs some first aid)
  • Mae eisiau mwy o arian arna i (I want more money)

Return to “Welsh”