Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

More Zulu units anytime soon?

Marci.99
South Africa

More Zulu units anytime soon?

Post by Marci.99 »

I completed the two available units, so the twenty topics, a little over 3 weeks ago through the app. I recently completed unit 13 on the browser since I saw they were structured differently. I am still busy completing it on the legendary levels, but I need more diamonds/lingots for that haha.

My question is, do we have any information on when it will be out of beta mode? I am still actively practising it daily as I can't reliably say that I know all of the material perfectly, but I really wish there was more material available. Duo does make it easier to learn and practice in comparison to other free Zulu resources that I have found.

MustafaOuz526752

Re: More Zulu units anytime soon?

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

Unfortunately, we do not have any information regarding when the course will get an update or when it will pass the beta phase, but I would think you will not wait too long for the latter since the course is short.

dougcoltart
Zimbabwe

Post by dougcoltart »

I'm also hoping for more units for the Zulu course soon.
According to this website (https://ardslot.com/duolingodata.html) the Zulu course is in the bottom 5 courses for number of Units on Duolingo. Is there anyway of contacting Duolingo to request more Units for a particular course or its just based on a commercial decision?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Who built that course and when?

Some courses like Hungarian have been stuck in Beta mode for a longer time.
Edit: I got the feedback on the HU sub forum that the Hungarian course is not in beta anymore.
Recently staff has rolled out a new Hungarian course update.

To get out of it the user (error) reports need to be under a specific threshold.

Requesting a course extension?
Be realistic.
It only has 291k learners.
Wasn't it created by volunteer contributors previously? Not any (old) users are shown on the course detail page! It's empty (new contract linguistic teams are not shown anywhere).

Only paid (part-time) contractors with a special access/Nda/employment contract may still have access.

Duolingo closed Incubator access for volunteer contributors last year March/April 2022 and kicked them all out before going public.

Do you really think this company which is wasting millions on cartoons, animations, new path/snake design and Ai cartoon voices to resdesign everything for Kindergarten and primary school will pay extra money to hire one of the old or new volunteers?

I'm sure for the higher demand courses like Japanese, Portuguese or Italian they have been doing this and 1+ person(s) took the role.

When new path Unit extensions are allowed, which now would actually cost them more money if someone hired is full-/part time working on new course material, is a very different question.

Well, personally I don't see this happening for minority languages which don't have yet many ACTIVE learners in the short-term, but I could be wrong.

Makes more sense (to me) to dump more money for linguistic teams into those established courses with millions of learners, where there is a real need, and to make compliant with Cefr.

Also staff has been moving to CEFR content and alignment since a longer time for the major languages (excluding Portuguese; but English from PT).

To write to them to "request" this? Hmm, they usually don't respond back anyway...
If you're Plus/Super try your luck: There is a separate Plus support email. No need to go through an "Other" bug report.

You surely will notice in the next 5-10 years, maybe sooner, if there will be any Zulu course changes.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

And in the meantime, suprisingly, the Xhosa course is still hatching!

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Well the only way to get in contact with Duolingo if you're not a paid user is the bug report. What your chances are of getting a new course from that aren't good, but you can submit your desire.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Zulu”