Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Is this correct

dacn
Scotland

Is this correct

Post by dacn »

I wish to give my wife a coffee mug with "You're on mute" printed on it in Gaelic and Yiddish (two of the three languages she is currently studying). Google translate (oof, I know!) suggests

דו ביסט
אויף שטום

Is that acceptable for the yiddish?

Tapadh Leibh

dakanga

Re: Is this correct

Post by dakanga »

Oh wow - are you sure you wish to give this as a saying on a cup to your wife ?

Or is it that she can choose the one upmanship to others, who are reading her cup as she drinks out of it.

I can see this sort of thought is a way to reclaim ( ... or to seek to gain power over ?) others who are ... gosh roo (being me) - spit it out ... who are displaying disturbing behavior towards you.
And even in me questioning this - each of our journeys are unique and also difficult. And the ability to stand confidential as respectful of each among others - sometimes - it can be by statements such as this that gets us through pinch points.

I am hoping that someone in this community will respond to this reasonable request. And without us as a community getting into the itty gritty.

Also note - here each one of us are peers - equal to each of us.

For to be able to also say things like this, in our target language, and to understand this when we come across it, it is empowering.
For language learning, as well as in social contexts.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Just in case, and because I am "on the ground" at the moment,

These are internet references I thought appropriate for this request :

To note : mute : שטום

disclaimer : I do NOT know yiddish. I hope someone else will give some more informed clarity to this issue.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Also to note from : https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/5303 ... e-so-young

By OtAzoy :

"You are . . . " can be translated formally (for people you don't know well) [איר זענט = second person plural] or translated informally (for those you know more intimately) [דו ביסט = second person singular] .

By benton.1 :

It is also second person singular formal.

dacn
Scotland

Post by dacn »

Tapadh leibh (Thank you - Gàidhlig second person plural, second person singular formal)

So, Yiddish is like French and Gàidhlig in its use of the second person :)

David

dacn
Scotland

Post by dacn »

I can see this sort of thought is a way to reclaim ( ... or to seek to gain power over ?) others who are ... gosh roo (being me) - spit it out ... who are displaying disturbing behavior towards you.

No, its just to point out to people on video meetings that they have switched their microphone off!

David

Return to “Language”