Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

va llegando

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

ElmerRamone
United States of America

va llegando

Post by ElmerRamone »

Can someone offer some guidance with this? It seems redundant and unnecessary, but is there some rule or circumstances in which this is a preferred phrase? I looked it up in Spanishdict, but they just translate it a lot of different ways and don't offer any explanations for this. Thanks.

Explorer
Portugal

Re: va llegando

Post by Explorer »

Where did you read this verbal periphrasis? Knowing the context could be of great help.

If there's no other indication I'd translate it as: it's coming or it's arriving.

A couple of examples:

• Our journey is coming to an end: nuestro viaje va llegando a su fin.
  • It seems that the good weather is arriving: parece que va llegando el buen tiempo.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

Thanks, Explorer... It was a Duo sentence very much like your examples. What I don't understand is the necessity of the combination when a simpler word would do. And I know that there are many ways of saying the same thing, but I would really like to understand this one. Why 'va' instead of 'está'?

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

ElmerRamone wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:32 pm

Why 'va' instead of 'está'?

I think these verbs are often interchangeable in quite a few cases, although that's not always possible.

According to my Spanish grammar, they have a slightly different meaning:

• The periphrasis ir + gerund is used to indicate the slow development of an action, or to describe something that does not happen all of the sudden, but in a progressive way.

• On the other hand, estar + gerund indicates an action that is happening now, at the moment of speaking.

So you can say: el tiempo está cambiando (right now), or el tiempo va cambiando (because it's the Fall, there are more rainy days, it's colder outside, the leaves are falling, etc.). Both forms are correct and both describe an action that is taking place in the present.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Here is an explanation and comparison between the two constructions:

https://spanish.kwiziq.com/revision/gra ... -an-action

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “Language”