Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Checkpoint 1--Resources

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

Checkpoint 1--Resources

Post by Corinnebelle »

Originally written on October 12, 2021
I wanted to put a list of resources together that would be helpful for other learners starting at the beginning to checkpoint 1. Different things that would add to the course. The reason Duo is so good is for grammar and sentence structure, but it doesn't teach all the words! This is some hints, tips and links to sites that will help you improve your vocabulary. I hoping to put these different links in a format that is in progression with the material taught in Duolingo.

Keyboard

Let's start with the keyboard. You may have added a Hebrew keyboard in settings on your computer. Now what's the best way to switch keyboards effectively? In Windows alt+shift will do the trick. Some computers will also do start+spacebar. Or you can go down the bottom to the little language abbreviation on your taskbar and switch it from English to Hebrew or vice-versa.

The real secret to switch back and forth quickly is to use caps locks. Once you have Hebrew selected as the keyboard input language hit cap locks when you need English. [There are no capitals in Hebrew language.] Duo doesn't mind and you only have to hit one button. Of course you'll want to turn it off at the end of your lesson before you write everything it capitals but it's a real time-saver in the course.

Here's a link to a typing course with the Hebrew keyboard. Click on שיעור1 to begin. Clicking on משחקים will give you some Hebrew games to practice those skills.

If you want to type all those nikudot you want to try Lexilogos' online Hebrew keyboard online keyboard. However it doesn't run with the same format as used with qwerty keyboards, so don't get confused. There might be a better option.

Letters

The alefbet is already taught on the app and will be coming to the web soon! In the mean time or as an adjunct you may be interested in these resources.

The Hebrew alphabet from Hebrew4Christian's is a great chart for learning letters. Below it is an mp3 of the alephbet [That's the Hebrew alphabet. Yep our alphabet comes from that.] Click on each letter to learn about each letter.

You will see a lot of goodies below the alefbet on the page in the free downloads section. You'll see an alefbet song, writing practice pages, flashcards etc. [Note this is a Christian site, for those of you who wish for a different religious slant, maybe someone can recommend a Jewish equivalent?] It is also has a Basic Biblical Hebrew Grammar course.

See Anki's Hebrew Alefbet deck from Teach Me Hebrew for learning the alefbet.

Note people also use Memrise but I'm more acquainted with Anki. Anki is downloadable so you can do it anywhere.

![](http://bethyeshua.org/wp-content/upload ... etters.jpg)

I recommend learning to write the Hebrew letters as it will help you be able to recognize them.

When you first encounter the sentences in the Hebrew course, your ear may not be trained to identify each word yet. They are quite fast! The only way to succeed sometimes is to write those sentences down and copy them until you learn to distinguish Hebrew words. Some HowHebr EwI Sspoke NlikeThis. You end up with the last letter of a word stuck on the beginning on the next word. Once you get the hang of it, you'll get there.

The word bank helps with listening skills, however spelling may suffer from such an approach. The deck Hebrew Duolingo Course - With Typing Answers! will help you with that.

You might want to start learning each word by sound too. Try the deck Duolingo Hebrew. However I will warn you other than the basic verbs at the beginning I haven't hit a single verb in this course. Maybe they are in a heap at the end?

Once you know how to write in script Hebrew, you may want to cursive. A lot faster to write in and if you want to read Hebrew handwriting it will most likely be cursive. Check out Ulpan's Learn to write Hebrew script for that.

If you really want to get good at letters, I recommend a Hebrew primer. That will give a lesson on each letter with a lot of reading practice to get your tongue around all those Hebrew words. But maybe the Hebrew characters Duo teaches will be as good as that.

Phrases

So some of these things you might want to learn later. For example start out with phrases and when you have mastered that you might want to know more about basic communication.

To improve on your phrases you might want to try loecsn essentials which includes the all important question "Where are the toilets?" You can continue with this course if you scroll to the bottom for my phrases

In the tips you will notice the terms "היי" hi and "ביי" bye. But they aren't taught in phrases.

Then you learn בוקר טוב. Good morning! What is the reply to "בוקר אור" "?בוקר טוב " which is morning light! Not in the course either.

I'm not sure what the replies are to the other phrases, (Good afternoon) לילה טוב, ערב טוב או אחר הצהריים. Maybe someone can tell me.

What's the right greeting for a situation מה שלומך או מה קורה? To find out visit Polymath's greetings.

How do you say "Nice to meet you!" in Hebrew? נעים מאוד The deck Modern Hebrew for Beginners (Raizen) will teach you this and other words and phrases for conversation. It also covers some words about education as well. This deck goes well with Phrases and There is. It includes another way to say "my name is" is "שמי". His name "שמו", my name "שמך" etc..

Here are some simple phrase's from Nemo's phrase book you might want to learn as well.

For more indepth phrases see lingua junkie's Top 10 Hebrew Conversational Phrases, Questions You Need Pt 1 and Top 20 Hebrew Conversational Phrases, Questions You Need Pt 2.

Food

Check out My Hebrew Dictionary's Drinks, Fish, Fruit, Nuts, Spices, and Vegatables all have words with sound. Lana's deck Hebrew vocabulary- Fruits and vegetables has a list of words with transliterated pronunciation. Learn Hebrew Pods Fruits Hebrew Vocabulary has some fruit with definitions. They also have games on other categories such as nuts and seeds, vegetables, desserts, food and drinks as well as other categories which you can do for free. You can learn more about fruits from the Hebrew Language Blog's Hebrew Fruits Vocabulary. Polymath has a couple of pages on food and fruits.This a nice poster from pinterest.

Animals

Hebrew animals is a cute Anki deck with some animals in Duo's deck and some not in it. Lana's Hebrew vocabulary- Animals is a list of animals with sentences demonstrating each use. My Hebrew dictionary's Animals has a selection of animals with sound. Polymath has animals too.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Resources”