Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

New speaking question?

Saperlipopette!

New speaking question?

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Recently I noticed the blue microphone in the lower right hand corner. I'm guessing it's a duo thing & not a device thing. I tried it out.

The first thing is to get the microphone. I typed a few characters 'xwfc' and erased them. The microphone came up.

Next, I tried to speak my answer.

Pas trop mal, sauf le second moitié. Then I tried speaking, focusing on the second half.

Bon, sauf le premier moitié. Let's try putting this all together.

Ah oui!

I might try doing this more than just go straight to typing the answer. I still gotta know French to get that speaker to type the right words.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Explorer
Portugal

Re: New speaking question?

Post by Explorer »

I think it's a device related feauture. I've been using that little blue microphone on Duolingo and other apps for quite some time now. Very useful if you have good diction in your target language. Sometimes it may also be frustrating though.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Are you sure, [mention]Explorer[/mention] ? I have the blue one on Duolingo, but other apps don't show it.

And when I'm clicking it, the device asks if I want to grant microphone access to the Duolingo app.

The black one in the upper right corner of the keyboard is what I have installed and I use it a lot, this one is available in any app where you can type something.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Cifi wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:25 pm

Are you sure, @Explorer ? I have the blue one on Duolingo, but other apps don't show it.

And when I'm clicking it, the device asks if I want to grant microphone access to the Duolingo app.

The black one in the upper right corner of the keyboard is what I have installed and I use it a lot, this one is available in any app where you can type something.

I'm pretty sure it's a keyboard feature that allows you to enter a text using your voice. All current OS use this system to help people with psychomotor problems. Perhaps some other apps have this option disabled. I don't know. And of course, you always have to give permission to the app when you use the microphone for the first time. It's a legal requirement related to user's privacy.

I may be wrong, but as I said before, I've seen the blue microphone on Duolingo for quite some time now.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Saperlipopette!

It's acting like an app thing.

I did the exercise 51-4 on the web. It's all questions from the old exercise 4.08 shopping. J'ai plusieurs bracelets en or. J'ai rempli mon armoire avec des vêtements neufs. Duo, où est ton pyjama ? Etc.

Well, I tried to bring up the blue microphone by typing three characters then wiping them out. It wouldn't come up.

So then I did the exercise 51-1 on the APP. It is, btw, the same type of questions from 4.08 shopping. I typed the three characters then erased them and I got the blue microphone.

If it were a device thing, it would come up on the browser and on the app, wouldn't it. But it's got to be a Duo thing-- they have this feature on the app, but it's not built in the browser for the same reason a lot of things aren't built in the browser. They can't get the feature to work across all the browsers like google chrome duck duck go etc. But they can get it to work on the app with their own browser.

Anyway, for those reasons I believe it is a duo thing.

Saperlipopette!

Duo recently released a blog called The sneaky prononciation practice you're probably not doing. They say the blue microphone is a Duo thing.

Duo says nobody's doing it & I'm using it all the time. There's little issues with it, and two I can think of right now is:

1. Numbers. If you say 'Les francaises ont le droit de voter depuis mille neuf cent quarante-quatre' it writes out Les françaises ont le droit de voter depuis 1944. You gotta go back and change it to written out numbers.

2. French has a lot of paronyms and homonyms so frequently you have to go back and change things. What's annoying is sometimes I get beaned for not changing everything, then double beaned with those mandatory cerf level A1 tips for retards which they say everyone loves but I hate.

Anyway, I think it is a good feature & the biggest thing I have with it is I can't do it on the web in either version, regular or desktop. But I think funny things happen with voice recognition going through the browser so I'm expecting little on that end.

They should write out more blogs on Duolingo features like this. That is I think the best use of Duolingo blogs, to tell us about features they release rather than keep everyone wondering and guessing.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

I only have the blue microphone on my French lessons. Not seeing it in Spanish, Hebrew, Arabic, or Haitian Creole.

Return to “Random Thoughts”