Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A Capoeira

Moderator: Explorer

Explorer
Portugal

A Capoeira

Post by Explorer »

Capoeira is a Brazilian art form that combines dance, martial art, and traditional music. It was created by African slaves as a means to achieve their liberty during the colonial era.

Those people managed to disguise the Capoeira as a folk dance, in such a way they could train their fighting skills before the eyes of the landlords. Eventually, some of them were able to escape from the plantations and survived forming small villages called Quilombos.

Today this is one of the most recognizable cultural expressions of Brazil.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Explorer
Portugal

Re: A capoeira

Post by Explorer »

Some capoeira songs:

Explorer
Portugal

Re: A Capoeira

Post by Explorer »

Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:11 am

some of them were able to escape from the plantations and survived forming small villages called Quilombos.

Quilombo comes from Kimbundu, one of the most widely spoken Bantu tongues in Angola. The word kilombo stands for warrior camp in that language.

It's interesting to note that in some parts of Latin America (e.g. Argentina) the term is now commonly used to describe a problematic or chaotic situation. For instance: esto es un quilombo (this is a mess). Or ¿qué es este quilombo? (what the hell is going on?). However, in Portuguese it's not used in that sense. Quilombo can be simply translated as camp or community.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Capoeira is a Brazilian art form that combines dance, martial art, and traditional music. It was created by African slaves as a means to achieve their liberty during the colonial era.

I think I first saw Capoeira in a movie. While flashy, fluid and fun, I have always wondered about its practicality... it may have worked back then, but imagine being in a subway, a crowded street or a in confined space :(

Another thing that comes into mind has to do with how is it practiced in real life... I mean, how do students actually practice it, do they hit and kick each other during class or it is practiced much as a Karate Kata: just doing and repeating the moves?

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:41 pm

some of them were able to escape from the plantations and survived forming small villages called Quilombos.

Quilombo comes from Kimbundu, one of the most widely spoken Bantu tongues in Angola. The word kilombo stands for warrior camp in that language.

It's interesting to note that in some parts of Latin America (e.g. Argentina) the term is now commonly used to describe a problematic or chaotic situation. For instance: esto es un quilombo (this is a mess). Or ¿qué es este quilombo? (what the hell is going on?). However, in Portuguese it's not used in that sense. Quilombo can be simply translated as camp or community.

Interesting! New word/expression.... ¡¿Qué quilombo es este?!

gmads
Mexico

Re: A capoeira

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:12 am

Some capoeira songs:

Five seconds... feet start moving... :!: :D

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

gmads wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:55 pm

I have always wondered about its practicality... it may have worked back then, but imagine being in a subway, a crowded street or a in confined space :(

Marcus Aurelio (a MMA fighter, not the Roman emperor) uses capoeira techniques with considerable success. You can check out a few videos of him on YouTube. However, I'm not sure if it's indeed the most effective fighting style. All those jumps, flips, and tricks can be quite a tiring thing. They may also be intimidating for the opponent though.

Another thing that comes into mind has to do with how is it practiced in real life... I mean, how do students actually practice it, do they hit and kick each other during class or it is practiced much as a Karate Kata: just doing and repeating the moves?

There are escolas de capoeira everywhere, but the best capoeristas I've ever seen learned how to dance on the streets (na rua). It looks like they are fighting but it's just an improvised performance. They almost never hit each other.

Five seconds... feet start moving... :!: :D

If you are going to dance capoeira, be sure you have enough space to do it. You don't want to break lamps and vases all over the house, do you? :D

Return to “Culture & Society”