Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

nowy wiek

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

nowy wiek

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I would like to translate "nowy wiek" with "new week" but it means "new century"

Quite a difference!

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

David680268
Germany

Re: nowy wiek

Post by David680268 »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:54 pm

I would like to translate "nowy wiek" with "new week" but it means "new century"

Quite a difference!

Can you memorize, let alone decline any of the Polish names of the months of the year? They are really driving me around the bend.
"wiek" is ok for me, as it is mostly the same as the Russian word век, but the Polish word for Sunday "niedzielia" sounds almost exactly like the Russian word for week, неделя.
My bugbear is still Polish spelling. Some people say it is logical, but maybe I haven't understood the logic yet.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

[mention]David680268[/mention]
As I don't know any Russian I cannot find any association with russian words. At the moment I would say that Polish is the most difficult of the languages I'm trying to learn.

And yes: the names of the month don't go into my head, not to speak of the declensions

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention]!

True, you can get confused at first!

I have it too, when I hear a word that sounds similar, I quickly associate it with a similar word (e.g. in Polish) and then there is disappointment, because it does not mean the same! :(

Let me give you an example: sukienka in English is "dress" - and in Polish "dres" is a sports outfit (tracksuit), but a similar spelling (only "dress" has one "s" more) and a similar sound.

At first I was wrong but with time it became embedded in my memory!

Moniko wszystko będzie dobrze, ale początki czasem splatają nam różne figle i pomyłki, więc nie ma się czym zamartwiać, ale śmiało iść do przodu! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention]
Nie mam zamiaru się poddawać. Powoli, bardzo powoli, uczę się języka polskiego.

Return to “Language”