Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Games / Activities and other resources

dakanga

Games / Activities and other resources

Post by dakanga »

Do you have suggestions of games / activities one can do with word lists ?
Have you used any of these resources, and what did you think about them ?
Can you recommend other ideas / resources ?

Consider value of understanding and learning the Parts of Speech and language learning
viewtopic.php?p=27358-unit-1-guidebook-and-more#p27358

dakanga

Re: Games / Activities and other resources

Post by dakanga »

Last edited by dakanga on Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

⏫

Internet resources

check out internet resources such as :

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

⏫

Make crosswords

Has anyone used these, or others ?
What do you like about them ?
Do you have some other suggestions, things to watch out for ?
Suggestions of different types of crosswords ?

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Interesting, thanks DaKanga! Just had a quick play with the crosswordlabs one. Trying to find if there's an easy way to make one to import to the forum here... :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

buho

Post by buho »

thanks for the list! I'd add beelinguapp to it. it's a service where you can improve your target language knowledge by reading books and news.

a side note since i see chegg mentioned:

chegg got a data leak(in 2018) and my email was filled with adult spam mails(they even stored password as unsalted md5 hashes at the time).
that's when I learnt about using temporary emails. if anyone is going to sign up for just for checking things out, I'd recommend using a throwaway email or an alias provider because most websites don't take security seriously.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

To help safe guard possible resources that may be useful to motivated students and educators, I will now also share some other suggested resources Duolingo makes available to educators, in this discussion.

game time guess the word.pdf
(179.72 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
game time catch them all.pdf
(364.55 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
customizable boards.pdf
(507.91 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
game time scattergories.pdf
(89.13 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
  • game time bonfire.pdf
    (223.99 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
    Divide into small groups, or work as a whole class!

Have each group sit in a circle with one device. The student with the device reads or describes the question out loud.
    The group discusses and decides on a single answer. The person with the device enters the answer into Duolingo.
    When the group has chosen the correct answer, have the first student pass the device to the person next to them and do it again.
  • game time messenger.pdf
    (388.15 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
    A competitive and exciting review activity for a skill that the class has completed together.

Pre-select key sentences from a Duolingo skill and post them around the class, school, or outdoor learning area so students need to physically move to read them.
    Students work in pairs or teams to complete a relay "race," where one team member goes to where the sentence is posted and runs back to their team's station where a "writer" transcribes the sentence, dictated by the messenger.
    The first team to report back to the teacher with their full list of sentences, all accurately transcribed, wins!
  • game time desk slam.pdf
    (340.45 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
    For classrooms with a smart board or a projector:

Split the class into teams; teams pick a name and choose who'll start as their "leader" (this can change every round). MC/teacher makes a scoreboard on the board.
    Run a Duolingo lesson on a projector, and have the teams SLAM their desks with their hands once they have a consensus on the answer. The consensus part is important!
    The team's leader dictates their answer, which the MC puts into Duolingo. The MC double checks with the team before submitting. Give points, rotate leaders, repeat!
  • game time and the oscar goes to.pdf
    (75.98 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
    How about adding some...drama to your lesson?

Start a Duolingo lesson and write down all the sentences that show up. You can do this part together as a class or in pairs/groups.
    The pairs/groups then pick their favorite sentence from that pool and write a short sketch that ends with that exact sentence.
    Groups act out their written sketches to much applause. If this is a shy group, you can have them film their sketch and act in it, or use illustrations/puppets instead.
  • Duobingo English - General.pdf
    (122.25 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
    Get to know your students with Duobingo! Please be sure to check the title of the attachments to know which languages are currently available.
    Duobingo French - General (1).docx
    (141.88 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
    Duobingo German - General (1).docx
    (102.1 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
    Duobingo Italian - General.docx
    (72.97 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
    Duobingo Portuguese - General.docx
    (75.22 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
    Duobingo Spanish - General.docx
    (102.24 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
    Duobingo - Türkçe - Genel (General).pdf
    (122.01 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
  • D4S_Kanji_Sudoku_Board[1].png
    D4S_Kanji_Sudoku_Board[1].png (161.78 KiB) Viewed 676 times
    This resource will allow your students to practice their kanji strokes and identification while solving a Sudoku puzzle. Enjoy!
Attachments
game time messenger.pdf
(388.15 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Looking for ways to add some variety to language-learning? Use this schedule to find new and fun ways to improve language skills!

daily language practice.pdf
(280.01 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Are you looking for resources to help you and your students stay in the target language? We've got you covered with this tip sheet, procedural language cheat sheets, and a student self-assessment.

stay in the target language.pdf
(210.81 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Notes of resources from
https://duolingoschools.zendesk.com/hc/ ... 3149-Games

Duolingo Stories: Mix it up

Directions: Read the Duolingo Story aloud as a class.
Have students cut out the sentences, mix them up, and then re-arrange the sentences in order.
If you want, have groups race to see who can put it back together the fastest.
Then have students write a follow up conversations.

Duolingo Stories: Act it out

Pair students up and have them memorize the lines.
Have students then act it out!

Duolingo Stories: Animate it

Then have students create a comic of the story like a cartoon, sentence by sentence.

Duo conversations

Extend the Duolingo Story by writing a follow-up
conversation.

Duolingo Stories: Vocabulary sort

Have students then read the story by themselves or with a partner.
As students read, have them underline the vocabulary words.
Then classify them determining if they are nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, etc.
Have them record their work on the "Duo Word Sort" worksheet.

word sort

Sort your vocabulary words by nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs

For Other types of words :
bonus: can you label the part of speech?
i.e. preposition, interjection, pronoun, conjunction, article

culture quest

Have students utilize their devices to go to Google Earth.
Have them choose a country or place that speaks their target language. Have students explore the cultural and natural landmarks there and write down the landmarks they explore and interesting facts they learn.

Enrichment

Have students create a project on Google Earth. Have them add landmarks to their project. Then have them pair up and share their projects with a partner.

culture quest

Choose a country or place that speaks your target language. Visit the place on Google Earth and explore! What historical sites are there? What natural features do you find there? Any other landmarks?

Write what you learn.
landmark : interesting facts

Choose a country or place that speaks your target language. Visit the place on Google Earth and explore! What historical sites are there? What natural features do you find there? Any other landmarks?

Write what you learn below.
landmark interesting facts

XeO3
Botswana

Post by XeO3 »

Games can be used to help with or inspire language study. I had Swedish & Finnish versions of Monopoly & Risk long before I studied either language. Childhood familiarity with both games provided a bridge to understanding.

I have cards for Magic: The Gathering in every language they have come out in; if you know the cards, you can play them in any language, even ones you have never studied:

This is a game card from Anachronism by The History Channel. I have never played it but bought a limited number of cards. They are beautiful & offer cultural, historical or language insights. The image is a bit grainy - all these cards are foil: coated with a glittery, almost metallic sheen.

La metemàtica am pias pa vàire.

XeO3
Botswana

Post by XeO3 »

The stereotypical 'nerd' game Dungeons & Dragons can also be deployed for learning. Through it, I was exposed to the Norse mythology, Arthurian legends, creatures from folklore all over the world & writers like H.P. Lovecraft & J.R.R. Tolkien. and for language study/practice as well.

A D&D module (Caldwell Castle and Beyond) in Finnish my uncle bought for me. He studied in Finland in 1990.

Some of my dice. The 8-siders are runes that spell out my initials. The 10-siders feature numbers written in Russian (red) & Portuguese (green), respectively.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

XeO3 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:16 pm

Some of my dice. The 8-siders are runes that spell out my initials. The 10-siders feature numbers written in Russian (red) & Portuguese (green), respectively.

I'd like to own dice like these. Mine are all only with the usual numbers 1,2,3....

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

XeO3
Botswana

Post by XeO3 »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:41 am
XeO3 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:16 pm

I'd like to own dice like these. Mine are all only with the usual numbers 1,2,3....

The Rune dice are available on Amazon - there are other designs that are the more normal, 6-sided cube dice (often wooden).
The 10-siders were an impulse buy 20 years ago in Boston. I'm not sure they are available. I have them in German, French & Italian, too.

Return to “Discussions”