Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Old duolingo app not working anymore?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

LICA98
Finland

Old duolingo app not working anymore?

Post by LICA98 »

so I use the duolingo app version 3.106.5 (the last one with the normal design) and since recently it no longer works properly, for example you have a skill that's at 0/4, you do a lesson and it goes to 1/4 but then immediately reverts to 0/4 :? tho it still registers in the system that you've done a lesson and apparently extends the streak as well

anyone using the same app and noticed the same thing?

buho

Re: Old duolingo app not working anymore?

Post by buho »

I'm on v5.62 on android and have old layout. are you on iOS?

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

buho wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:54 pm

I'm on v5.62 on android and have old layout. are you on iOS?

what I mean by old design

LICA98 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:45 am

Image instead of

and Image instead of Image

it's like even before the current "old layout" :lol:

buho

Post by buho »

damn, you're using this pre 2019 version?
I'm surprised it kept working till now.

I honestly loved that one, but moved sometime later as I needed access to stories and other fancy stuff.

coming back to the question though, I think Duolingo may have made a breaking change on backend that half- broke v3.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I tried downloading 3.106.5 on my phone and there it doesn't work either, so they must've killed it completely :?

then I upgraded to 4.6.3 and there it doesn't work either :x I guess they wanna disable all the versions without cartoons and health 🤮

buho

Post by buho »

your best bet is to stick to the web version which has less of this fluff.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

buho wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:48 pm

your best bet is to stick to the web version which has less of this fluff.

every time someone asks about something not working on the app this comes up "just use the web version" :roll: don't you think that if I wanted to use the web version only I wouldn't even be asking about the app?

I tried version 4.18.4 (which is already with health) and there it still doesn't work 🤬 so apparently there's no way to avoid health on the app anymore (except maybe downloading the cracked duolingo plus app? have to try that)

atm I'm using 4.61.0, this one seems to be working

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

LICA98 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:49 pm

I tried version 4.18.4 (which is already with health) and there it still doesn't work 🤬 so apparently there's no way to avoid health on the app anymore (except maybe downloading the cracked duolingo plus app? have to try that)

Create a classroom - it's how I got around health on the app

With one of my other email addresses I created a classroom and let me normal account join it - so no heart for that original account and it has continued with the same progress

buho

Post by buho »

sorry mate. Duolingo is proprietary and there's only so much you can do to go against their recommended way.

As [mention]back4morelater[/mention] said, you can try the classroom hack and see if that works for you.
Or as you pointed out, you can go for some (trusted)modded apks where you won't have to worry about hearts at least. but it'll still contain bloat.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

back4morelater wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:43 am

With one of my other email addresses I created a classroom and let me normal account join it - so no heart for that original account and it has continued with the same progress

I just did this and for some reason it didn't work at first, but then I changed the classroom to teach a specific language rather than many languages and it started working 👍🏽

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

buho wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:38 am

sorry mate. Duolingo is proprietary and there's only so much you can do to go against their recommended way.

As @back4morelater said, you can try the classroom hack and see if that works for you.
Or as you pointed out, you can go for some (trusted)modded apks where you won't have to worry about hearts at least. but it'll still contain bloat.

why would it contain bloat? the whole point of modded apks is exactly that they get rid of ads and unlock features :roll:

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:44 am
back4morelater wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:43 am

I just did this and for some reason it didn't work at first, but then I changed the classroom to teach a specific language rather than many languages and it started working 👍🏽

apparently the app also needs to be quite new for this to work (i.e. the late versions of v4 or newer), on the early v4 versions it doesn't :?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

I'm using V5.52.5 from 16. April 2022 on Android.

Works so far without the new path/snake (old tree design), even the path was finally rolled out on the duolingo com Web portal to all school classrooms (old design flag is gone in the school settings) on 4. January 2023.

As long as your DL account is registered as a teacher in a school classroom you won't get

• A) health (you can set it to unlimited like Plus) or
  • B) any ads.

Makes it kinda working for normal/forward trees.

However it's not the same anymore for reverse- and laddering trees as there is no audio for the source language; you actually need Camilo's TreeEnhancer userscript on the web portal to enable audio, hide text, hide images, etc.

The Android app is quite limited as it doesn't allow free typing on lower crown levels.

Another workaround URL for the old tree design: https://www-internal.duolingo.com

Unfortunately I do have some sync issues with the old Android app and that www-internal Web URL.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:40 pm

I'm using V5.52.5 from 16. April 2022 on Android.

Works so far without the new path/snake (old tree design), even the path was finally rolled out on the duolingo com Web portal to all school classrooms (old design flag is gone in the school settings) on 4. January 2023.

As long as your DL account is registered as a teacher in a school classroom you won't get

• A) health (you can set it to unlimited like Plus) or
  • B) any ads.

Makes it kinda working for normal/forward trees.

However it's not the same anymore for reverse- and laddering trees as there is no audio for the source language; you actually need Camilo's TreeEnhancer userscript on the web portal to enable audio, hide text, hide images, etc.

The Android app is quite limited as it doesn't allow free typing on lower crown levels.

Another workaround URL for the old tree design: https://www-internal.duolingo.com

Unfortunately I do have some sync issues with the old Android app and that www-internal Web URL.

I'm not using the old tree design anymore since I got the snake... doesn't make sense since all that progress will be gone anyway :? at least you can avoid the health nonsense with the classrooms so not everything is so bad 👍🏽
I just go to the old app to open the lingot chest for completing your daily goal, that still seems to work :)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

...deleted...

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:52 pm

I can confirm that I got Camilo's userscript working on www-internal.duolingo.com by simply adding the domain to the @match header.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:56 pm

Line 7 is this:

Code: Select all

// @match        https://www.duolingo.com/*   

Add (try) this as a new line:

Code: Select all

// @match        https://www-internal.duolingo.com/*

As long as the html div tags within learning/practice sessions are the same on this website like with the original tree design on the old Duolingo (pre path/snake), Camilo's Tree Enhancer userscript code will probably (should) be working.

what's the point of spamming this exact same post into several threads? especially into this 1 which has nothing to do with internal duolingo :roll:

cermak_rd
Germany

Post by cermak_rd »

Thank you Thomas for the info about www-internal but more importantly for the camillo tree enhancer information.

I have been happily using the snake, it's fine for my purpose of keeping my streak. But the tree enhancer had recently stopped working and that was really unfortunate.

I'm currently going through the added German material. I completed it early 2020 and they updated it sometime along the way so I figured I'd work through it again for kicks (and streak extension).

I use German a lot now. TV, podcasts, talking at work with our German team (mostly via email/teams due to work time differences) etc.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

I have started a new (Android) mobile app thread (DRAFT) about old and new features, what is either missing in old app versions or which things (like typing vs forced bank banks) have been pushed into newer app versions.

This is work in progress...please be patient with me.

viewtopic.php?t=15622-differences-and-c ... p-versions

jasper45
India

Post by jasper45 »

It's possible that the old Duolingo app may not be functioning properly due to updates or compatibility issues. Consider updating to the latest version or contacting Duolingo support for assistance. Alternatively, explore other language-learning apps to continue your language journey seamlessly. ;)

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising removed
Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

earlybird5 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:06 am

Hello, I really enjoyed Duolingo pre-september 2022.
They have now closed access to their servers for older versions.

Is there a way to still use it? Maybe locally? Thank you for your help (English-French)

Not that I know.
Reason is that they (staff) patched their servers / login and initial sync on the Home/Learn tab so it didn't work for me anymore with the tree design.

I was basically forced to using the V5.73.2 app version (still supporting League Lightning rounds) which only supports the path UI overlay which I mainly ignore to use.

PtolemysXX wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:07 am

There is still a small back door that let's you learn with the old tree design - have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=19626-how-to-restore-du ... till-works

There also is the Tampermonkey userscript code from the other thread which allows you to use it on the mobile browsers on Android:

• Firefox Nightly (only by unlocking the debug mode, entering a custom add-on collection_id to add the Tampermonkey from the online Firefox repository)
  • Kiwi (full Chrome extension support)
  • Yandex Alpha (full Chrome extension support)

Full Chrome extension support means you're not restricted only to Firefox addons which are available by default or with the custom collection_id.

However there's no absolute guarantee that EVERY extension will run, especially if it's only made for the desktop browser.
At least you're not that restricted that much (kinda like the old Firefox Fenix architecture before they did a rewrite) to only a few predefined addons on the Android mobile platform.

Chrome Dev release doesn't support extensions on Android.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

jasper45 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:04 am

Consider updating to the latest version or contacting Duolingo support for assistance.

No, they won't respond back, not even if you ask them how you can donate but you're not interested in buying an expensive yearly Duolingo Plus/Super subscription

(one-time software payments or LIFETIME subscriptions are IMHO the way to go but are very rarely offered).

They have been ignoring old poweruser requests for a switchable solution and to add a more adult friendly web theme or app version.

Also I strongly recommend to NOT use the "latest" (I tried one in February 2024 when the login failed after the patched server code) Android app versions:

• the BACK button on the Android OS footer is now disfunctional and if you willingly or accidentally click on it it freezes the mobile app and you need to restart and the current lesson is gone; you won't be able to recover from this action!
  • Lightning round got removed from the League (replaced with the silly word matches challenge)
  • a newer app version cleared the League and only added their new style *** star timed exercise on the left and right of the path UI / Learn tab (you basically need to be Super as the timer ALWAYS runs out)

I'm not a fan of their new style exercises.
Even I, a Brazilian Portuguese learner for seven years (and I have not only used Duolingo exclusively!), can't complete those silly new timed exercises in time.
They are specifically designed that you constantly must buy timer refills to waste Gems.
Not only in the later sections (despite completing my PT tree on crown level 3 they placed me in 2023 at Unit 38 of 60 so some Web sections are LOCKED for me) and higher path unit numbers but also at the first few starting units of the path ( just basic vocabulary / beginner stuff, nothing extra complicating like Subjunctive or more difficult Past or compound tenses).

Immediately I went back to 5.73.2 and will probably continue to ignore the path for a longer time :-)
Can't keep up the League XPs otherwise.

No, this app version can't be used for longer CEFR courses:
It doesn't support the section grouping/filtering, not yet.

French, Spanish and multiple English courses can contain about 200 to 311 units.
On that old app version you would be constantly scrolling, so not recommended for those longer CEFR courses (English from PT/ES is CEFR too).

Sofiachloe
United States of America

Post by Sofiachloe »

If on the website try clearing the cache, disabling browser plugins, and running anti-adware or antivirus. If on mobile, try restarting the device, or re-installing the application. If the problem persists contact the official Duolingo support.If you need a rollback of Duolingo, check out the app's version history.

Last edited by Explorer on Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed

Return to “Duolingo”