Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Die Hexe bringt ihr Date mit, er ist ein Bär. (en → de) Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

sentence bot 🤖

Die Hexe bringt ihr Date mit, er ist ein Bär. (en → de)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

Die Hexe bringt ihr Date mit, er ist ein Bär.

en: The witch is bringing her date along, he is a bear.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/53662551

Seiryuu
Canada

Re: Die Hexe bringt ihr Date mit, er ist ein Bär. (en → de)

Post by Seiryuu »

I used es instead of er and was marked correct, but is this a case of gender following the second subject's gender instead of the accusative noun (i.e., der Bär over das Date)?

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

Both are correct, I myself would rather use "es" instead of "er". I think it'a less a case of gender following the second subject's gender but rather a general statement that doesn't refer to a preceding noun. Just another example: Meine Tochter hat gestern ihr zweites Kind geboren, es ist ein Mädchen. "Sie ist ein Mädchen" doesn't sound right to me.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

No, I don't think so. You can replace "Date" with "neue Bekanntschaft" (feminine) and "es" would still work in German exactly in the way [mention]Chrisinom[/mention] wrote, but "sie" would not unless the person (or animal) actually is female.

Die Hexe bringt ihre neue Bekanntschaft mit, es ist ein Bär
Die Hexe bringt ihre neue Bekanntschaft mit, er ist ein Bär (m)
Die Hexe bringt ihre neue Bekanntschaft mit, es ist ein Bärin (f)
Die Hexe bringt ihre neue Bekanntschaft mit, sie ist ein Bärin (f)

The literal translation for the first and third one should probably be "it is a bear", and the last one would be she, but they all work in German.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Schnickschnack
Germany

Post by Schnickschnack »

These sentences are so often a matter of interpretation. On a carnival party:

"Die Hexe bringt ihr Date mit, er ist ein Bär von einem Mann!" ("he's a bear of a man!")
More lazily: "Die Hexe bringt ihr Date mit, er ist ein [richtiger] Bär."

This would comply with the word "he" in the English sentence.

But what if, when whoever is wearing that bear dress might be a man or a woman, and we just don't know? Or, if the witch is actually dating a real grizzly?

"Die Hexe bringt ihr Date mit, es ist ein Bär."

In these cases, the English sentence should reflect the circumstances by saying "it" instead of "he".

Return to “Sentence discussions”