Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Något/någon

Will709432

Något/någon

Post by Will709432 »

Is there a rule governing when to use någon/något in place of en/ett. Grammar books give very little on this

In this sentence from book I'm reading:

...tror jag inte att hon blir någon lämplig hustru åt mig.

I'd have probably written .. blir en lämplig...

So how do we know when to use någon/något in place of en/ett? I'm aware it can mean any, someone, etc, but here it seems just to replace the en of hustru.

Żar
Poland

Re: Något/någon

Post by Żar »

There generally isn’t a big difference between “a” and “any” in negative sentences, like “I don’t see a cat” vs “I don’t see any cat”; it’s just a small nuance.

It’s exactly the same principle in Swedish - “hon blir inte en lämplig hustru” (she won’t become a suitable wife) vs “hon blir inte någon lämplig hustru” (she won’t become any kind of suitable wife); the second sentence is just a bit more confident or dismissive.

Will709432

Re: Något/någon

Post by Will709432 »

Żar wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Thanks, yes I see this done a lot with negative sentences.

But it still leaves me wondering why use it to replace en/ett in normal sentences, like this from the same book:

Collins fick något ivrigt i blicken.

Unless this means something eager in his eyes/gaze and not an eagerness in his eyes/gaze, rather this det var något ivrigt i Collins ögon. But then why not write it that way?

Return to “Frågor och svar”