Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A question on word order Topic is solved

David680268
Germany

A question on word order

Post by David680268 »

Hi all,

Duo wants me to translate "Can you repeat this/say this one more time"?
My try was "Daha bir kere söyleyebilir misiniz?", but Duo does not accept this and wants "Bir kere daha söyleyebilir misiniz?".

Is my word order wrong?

Thank you all!

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Re: A question on word order

Post by Danika_Dakika »

Yes, I think so. "Daha" is an adverb, so you can use it to intensify many things, but not a noun. If you want to use "daha" with a noun, you need a "çok" or "fazla" between them. So you could potentially say: "daha çok/fazla bir kere" -- but I'm not sure quite what that would mean! Maybe "more one time(s)" -- which does not sound right. If it means anything, it seems like I am asking if you could increase the frequency of doing this thing one-time-at-a-time? But that doesn't make much sense, so let's not go with that.

In this sentence, adverb really belongs modifying the verb:
söyleyebilir misiniz? > can you say it?
[bir] daha söyleyebilir misiniz? > can you say it [again]/more?

And then you are applying a quantity to that:
Bir kere [bir] daha söyleyebilir misiniz? > can you say it [again]/more one time?

--Danika_Dakika

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Danika_Dakika wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:14 am

Yes, I think so. "Daha" is an adverb, so you can use it to intensify many things, but not a noun.

Thank you! That answers my question.

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

Hi,
As you said Danika, "fazla bir kere" is not correct.
"Bir kere daha" (one more time) or maybe "fazla kere" (more times).
Not "fazla bir kere".

However you can hear in daily usage "daha bir kere..." instead of "bir kere daha"

Return to “Turkish”