Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Aimer without object pronoun

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Cifi

Aimer without object pronoun

Post by Cifi »

It was the dialog

"Qué penses-tu de ce restaurant, Helène?" - "Moi, j'aime beaucoup."

In English and other languages, this wouldn't work without pronoun: I like a lot -> I like it a lot, so I would have expected something like "je l'aime beaucoup".

My question: does it depend on the verb, i.e. you can always use aimer without the object being liked, or are there other reasons why it works here, but might not elsewhere?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Aimer without object pronoun

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Wenn I had deepl.com translate the German sentence "ich mag es sehr" the first translation was "j'aime beaucoup". "Je l'aime beaucoup" was offered as an alternative. This was astonishing me very much and in a web search I found the following article:

https://journals.openedition.org/tipa/1200

The article has the headline:
Les verbes à objet implicite dans le français parlé :
de la proéminence informationnelle à la proéminence phonologique

Verbs with implicit objects in spoken French: from informational prominence to phonological prominence

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Questions”