Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Listening and hearing in Polish

David680268
Germany

Listening and hearing in Polish

Post by David680268 »

Hi all,

I am still working on the absolute basics of the Polish language. Today I have a question concerning "hearing" and "listening". Am I correct in assuming that "to listen to sth/so. = słuchać kogoś/czegoś", so genitive case, but "to hear sth. = słyszeć coś", accusative case?
Examples:

Słucham radia.

Słyszę twoją komórkę.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Re: Listening and hearing in Polish

Post by Davey944676 »

Yes, you are correct - słuchać takes genitive and słyszeć takes accusative. Below is a quick copypasted list of some other verbs which take genitive (or sometimes take genitive).

It is worth looking at e.g Wiktionary to look at the individual verbs, as usage information is often included. Plucking "próbować" at random from that list below, for example, you can see on the wiktionary page that it takes genitive, but also sometimes takes accusative or instrumental.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/próbować

Good luck! :)

bać się – be afraid of.
brakować – lack.
dokonywać / dokonać – perform.
domagać się – demand/call for.
dotyczyć – concern/apply to.
dotykać / dotknąć – touch.
doznawać / doznać – experience/undergo.
lękać się – fear.
obawiać się – fear.
nienawidzić / znienawidzić – hate.
oczekiwać – expect.
odmawiać / odmówić – refuse/reject/deny.
pilnować / przypilnować – tend/look after.
potrzebować – need.
pragnąć – desire.
próbować / spróbować – attempt/try.
słuchać / posłuchać – listen.
spodziewać się – expect.
szukać / poszukać – search/look for.
uczyć / nauczyć – teach.
udzielać / udzielić – give/provide.
unikać / uniknąć – avoid.
używać / użyć – use.
wymagać – demand/require.
zabraniać / zabronić – forbid/ban.
zakazywać / zakazać – forbid/ban.
żałować / pożałować – regret.
życzyć – wish. (As in e.g. to wish something to someone, rather than to wish FOR something)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

David680268
Germany

Re: Listening and hearing in Polish

Post by David680268 »

Davey944676 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:34 pm

Yes, you are correct - słuchać takes genitive and słyszeć takes accusative. Below is a quick copypasted list of some other verbs which take genitive (or sometimes take genitive).

It is worth looking at e.g Wiktionary to look at the individual verbs, as usage information is often included. Plucking "próbować" at random from that list below, for example, you can see on the wiktionary page that it takes genitive, but also sometimes takes accusative or instrumental.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/próbować

Good luck! :)

Thank you for your help! Wiktionary is a great resource. I have mostly used it whenever I came across Russian words that are so strange that I can't even find them in a normal dictionary, for example because I can't identify their infinitive or nominative form. I never thought about using it to find the correct cases associated with verbs.

Return to “Language”