Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Encore, encore une fois, à nouveau and adverb placement

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Cifi

Encore, encore une fois, à nouveau and adverb placement

Post by Cifi »

I'm doing the French course mostly intuitively right now, without thinking too much about grammar. This works surprisingly well so far, taking into account that I only had French classes in school for two or three years, and that's decades ago.

An issue where I often stumbled was adverb placement. Right after the verb seems the best place in many cases, but what about modal verb + infinitive constructions? Are there general rules about this?

A Duolingo sentence was "Can you help me again?", and Duo's translation "Est-ce que tu peux encore m'aider?", but they alternatively accepted "... m'aider à nouveau". Would encore always go between the two verbs, and à nouveau at the end? And what about encore une fois, I would have put that one at the end, too?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Cifi

Re: Encore, encore une fois, à nouveau and adverb placement

Post by Cifi »

And about encore: this can mean either still or again?

Here, still wouldn't work, but in other sentences like "Je dois encore l'aider", could it either mean "I have to help him/her again" or "I still have to help him/her"?

(This question has been asked in the respective sentence discussion, but remained unanswered: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2851 ... re-l-aider)

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Saperlipopette!

Re: Encore, encore une fois, à nouveau and adverb placement

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I'll take a cut at trying to get you pointed in the right direction.

I. Encore has several meanings

In the skill 3.12 School 2, (this is units 34-36 in the new tree: 34.6 35.6 36.6), encore means again:
Tu lis encore ce livre.
You're reading the book again.

In 3.13 Food 2, (35.3 36.4 37.3), encore means still.
Il est encore en train de cuisiner ?
Is he still cooking?

In 5.14 Nightmare (70.8 71.9 72.8) we learn pas encore, or not yet.

In 6.16 Office 2 (90.4 91.3 92.5), encore plus or encore moins is even more or even less.

Aujourd'hui, je me suis levé encore plus tôt.
I got up even more early.
Ton bureau est encore moins propre que le sien.
Your office is even less cleaner than his.

This site must has some moderator-written documentation about encore and it's different meanings. I found out from the pros on the web so that's what I know. Someone here could come along and tell you, so you could wait for them if you don't like the videos & can't find the docs here.

Francais Authentique

French School TV

II. Adverb rules

Adverbs generally go after the conjugated verb. This means the auxiliary verb in passé composé & the modal in modal + inf constructions. Longer and less common adverbs, including locutions, comme after the verb. Not everything follows that rule. The exceptions are presented by Duo one by one in the lesson where the adverb is introduced.

Here's the videos where I got my stuff from.

Cours de français

Grammaire Française
La place de l'adverb

Learn French with Elsa
Place des adverbes

French School TV
french adverbs, where to put them.

Return to “Questions”