Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Transposed letter effect (Typoglycemia)

Subforums: Achievements · Random Thoughts · Discussions
I'm learning... select your target language from this list

Moderators: Jacko079, Basler Biker

MatOzone
Catalonia

Transposed letter effect (Typoglycemia)

Post by MatOzone »

Typoglycemia: This phenomenon takes place when two letters in a word (typically called a base word) switch positions to create a new string of letters that form a new, non-word . If you are fluent in the language, you can easily read it:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

По рзелульаттам илссеовадний одонго анлигйсокго унвиертисета, не иеемт занчнеия, в кокам пряокде рсапожолены бкувы в солве. Галвоне, чотбы преавя и пслоендяя бквуы блыи на мсете. Осатьлыне бкувы мгоут селдовтаь в плоонм бсепордяке, все-рвано ткест чтаитсея без побрелм. Пичрионй эгото ялвятеся то, что мы не чиатем кдаужю бкуву по отдльенотси, а все солво цликеом.

Sgúen etsduios raleziaods por la Uivenrsdiad ignlsea de Cmdibrage, no ipmotra el odren en el que las ltears etsén escriats, la úicna csoa ipormtnate es que la pmrirea y la útlima ltera esétn ecsritas en la psiócion cocrreta.El retso peuden etsar ttaolmntee doaerdsendo y aún pordás lerelo sin pobrleams, pquore no lemeos cada ltera en sí msima snio cdaa paalbra etenra.

Does this happen in Arabic? Chinese? Thai?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transposed_letter_effect
    https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/ma ... Cmabrigde/
    https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/3460 ... ebrew-Thai

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

DJrossonwye

Re: Transposed letter effect (Typoglycemia)

Post by DJrossonwye »

That is interesting, and I imagine such a structure could even, in principle, be useful as an extra layer of befuddlement within an encryption system.

I am however puzzled at the choice of the name "typoglycemia" - literally just a blend of "typo" and the medical term "hypoglycemia* . That makes no sense whatsoever.

Not that it needs to make sense, I suppose. Or perhaps the fact that the name makes no sense is the very reason that the name was chosen? ;)

:uk: British English native speaker. Learning Spanish :es:

dakanga

Re: Transposed letter effect (Typoglycemia)

Post by dakanga »

Some interesting posts/discussions on this from other sources:

Return to “I speak English”