Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Je me demande à qui ressemble ce steward. Peut-être à ce bel acteur que j'ai vu hier soir dans un film. (en → fr) Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

sentence bot 🤖

Je me demande à qui ressemble ce steward. Peut-être à ce bel acteur que j'ai vu hier soir dans un film. (en → fr)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

Je me demande à qui ressemble ce steward. Peut-être à ce bel acteur que j'ai vu hier soir dans un film.

I wonder who this steward looks like. Maybe this handsome actor I saw last night in a movie.

dakanga

Re: Je me demande à qui ressemble ce steward. Peut-être à ce bel acteur que j'ai vu hier soir dans un film. (en → fr)

Post by dakanga »

que or qui - what are the rules ?

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Je me demande à qui ressemble ce steward. Peut-être à ce bel acteur que j'ai vu hier soir dans un film. (en → fr)

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

dakanga wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:57 pm

que or qui - what are the rules ?

Whenever there is no other subject you use "qui"

...ressemble ce steward - no subject, so "...qui ressemble .."
...j'ai vu hier soir - "je" is the subject, so "...que j'..."

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

In the Duolingo PATH, the two lessons that in my review deal with the issue of qui or que are :

INTRO : Level 91 : lesson 91-1
GRAMMAR : notes by Duolingo

• que vs. ce que, qui vs. ce qui

REVIEW : Level 91 : lesson 92-1

Though they are also addressed in
INTRO : Unit 86 : lesson 86-7
GRAMMAR : notes by Duolingo

• Relative pronouns: ce qui, tout ce qui
  • Differences between ce qui and ce que

REVIEW : lesson 87-5

REVIEW : lesson 88-5

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Qui replaces a subject².

Qui is mostly followed by a verb⁴ or a me, te le, la, etc.
(Direct or indirect object³ pronoun⁵)

Que replaces a direct object³
Que is generally followed by je, tu, il, or a name.

Note:
que becomes qu' before a vowel or mute h

Tip :
que is mostly followed by a subject²

²subject : the subject is the word or phrase which controls the verb in the clause, that is to say with which the verb agrees
⁴verb : are the action words in a sentence that describe what the subject is doing.
³direct object: is a word or phrase that receives the action of the verb
in French referred to as C.O.D. : Complément d'Objet Direct
indirect object : is the word or phrase that receives the direct object. In the sentence
Le professeur a donné un gâteau aux élèves.
The teacher gave the students cake.
The indirect object is the élèves students.
The direct object is gâteau cake,
and the students are the ones who eat it.
⁵pronoun : is a word that takes the place of a noun.
i.e.
je, moi, lui, elle, elle-même, vous, cela, cela, ils, chacun, peu, beaucoup, qui, quiconque, dont, quelqu'un, tout le monde, etc.
I, me, he, she, herself, you, it, that, they, each, few, many, who, whoever, whose, someone, everybody, etc.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:33 pm

Whenever there is no other subject you use "qui"

...ressemble ce steward - no subject, so "...qui ressemble .."

The subject is actually "ce steward".

The "qui" in this sentence is the question word "who". It refers to a person. It can never be "à que", but it could be "à quoi" if it referred to a thing.

For example:
Je me demande à qui il parle.

You have a subject "il", but you still have to use "qui" because it refers to a person.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Sentence discussions”