Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

New Learning Path

brinkedge
Great Britain

New Learning Path

Post by brinkedge »

Has anyone had the new Learning Path interface for Welsh yet? My son has got it, but I haven’t (on either ipad or android phone). He’s started Duolingo quite recently; I’ve done the whole tree to crown level 1. I wonder what the timetable is for rolling it out.

AnomalousCowherd
Great Britain

Re: New Learning Path

Post by AnomalousCowherd »

I reset my learning path and got it. The course notes are not available (at least they aren't to me), which has made it useless for me. Other than that, I think the learning path is fine.

brinkedge
Great Britain

Post by brinkedge »

But didn’t you lose all your progress by resetting?

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

AnomalousCowherd wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:56 am

I reset my learning path and got it. The course notes are not available (at least they aren't to me), which has made it useless for me. Other than that, I think the learning path is fine.

I just started the Welsh course from two accounts, one with the new learning path and one with the traditional one. The hints are not available anymore in any configuration of android app and web app, at least for unit1 or lesson "Greet 1".

Btw I like the new interface, I'm already following a strict cascading progression anyway, with the new interface I don't have to bother about what to learn. I think the idea of mixing course and stories is very good because in some languages I've had troubles figuring out the best time to study a story.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

AnomalousCowherd
Great Britain

brinkedge wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:48 am

But didn’t you lose all your progress by resetting?

Yes. I'm not interested in keeping score - although I know that this is a huge encouragement for many learners - just in learning the language. I reset my tree because I wanted to start again from the beginning to consolidate my knowledge. The problem I now encounter is that, when I hit a sticky patch of learning, there is no easy option to turn to the notes for an explanation of grammar. I like the Duolingo idea and (ignoring for a moment those wretched animated characters) I have found it to be an effective learning tool. But only while it has bite-sized chunks of grammar to go alongside the list of words. Without that, I find its usefulness to be reduced to the point of absurdity.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

FYI: There are some Welsh tips and notes available here

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

AnomalousCowherd
Great Britain

Yes, and they are really helpful. The problem is that the units have changed in the revised tree, and don't match the original notes. The information in them is good, but it's a bit like trying to put together two jigsaw puzzles which have been mixed together, using the picture from a third puzzle as a reference. The Duolingo course has been updated to bring it into line with Dysgu Cymraeg / Learn Welsh the standard course for adults from the National Centre for Learning Welsh, and there are quite a lot of changes as a consequence.

Hopefully the tips will be back soon, but for now I've stopped using Duolingo as a learning tool.

Brock
United States of America

Post by Brock »

You can still access the old tree here: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/

flootzavut
Great Britain

Post by flootzavut »

Brock wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:29 pm

Ahhh now I can access the notes again! You are my favourite person right now :D

AnomalousCowherd
Great Britain

It's better than nothing, but one has to do a bit of guesswork when applying the grammar to the "official" course. It would be a tolerable situation even if all Duolingo did was to make an announcement that the notes are in the process of being revised, and will be available ${whenever}. At the moment the "guidebook" simply links to a handful of sentences out of context.

I pop back on every week or so, just to see if anything has improved, but my Welsh learning has more or less moved to books.

Oggie
Wales

Post by Oggie »

When I was switched to the new Learning Path, all of my progress was erased and I was forced to restart the Welsh course from the very beginning. However, if this is a better way of learning as Duolingo claim, then I can live with that. What I couldn't cope with was the simultaneous removal of all the course notes. I am therefore so happy to have found them on this website along with access to the old tree. Thank you Corinnebelle and Brock!

Guykings
Great Britain

Post by Guykings »

Unfortunately this seems to have stopped working now. You can still see the tree but can't start any lessons. No sign of any improvement in the guidebooks back on the learning path, either. Pity.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

Guykings wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:56 pm

Unfortunately this seems to have stopped working now. You can still see the tree but can't start any lessons.

You might want to give this technique (or this one) a try.
They work for some of us on the web version.

Guykings
Great Britain

Post by Guykings »

trackerwannabe wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:31 pm
Guykings wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:56 pm

Unfortunately this seems to have stopped working now. You can still see the tree but can't start any lessons.

You might want to give this technique (or this one) a try.
They work for some of us on the web version.

Thanks, but no, neither seems to work.. I think that's it for me and my beloved tree. Unfortunate because neither Dutch nor Welsh, my two main languages, has proper documentation in the new learning path, just a few example phrases.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

[mention]Guykings[/mention] you're absolutely right. The few example phrases are near to no help at all. I have that in nearly all of my learning paths.

But most of all I miss the possibility to ask questions in the discussions that has been gone since the beginning of the year

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Guykings[/mention] I just read internal.duolingo is back. I tested it and a lesson loaded!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

WelshExile#
Wales

Post by WelshExile# »

Thanks for the tip regarding using the old strategy. Diolch !.

WelshExile#
Wales

Post by WelshExile# »

It looks like the path to the old strategy has been removed.
Hopefully there is an alternative as the new path is appalling.

WelshExile#
Wales

Post by WelshExile# »

Sadly, that link now redirects to the new path.
I guess it was good while it lasted !!
Thanks again !

Guykings
Great Britain

Post by Guykings »

It's now harder than ever to access the old tree-style structure, and there's still been no update to the 'guidebooks' on the snake. Whoever was responsible for curating the course seems to have abandoned it, as it's been months now since the learning path was introduced. You'd think at least the first few guidebooks might have been written. Or are the old course authors being kept out?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]Guykings[/mention]

What course/language?

Most of the old volunteer contributors are long gone and have been paid out.

Staff's new strategy is CEFR alignment which newer courses are quite differently structured and also offer different challenge exercises, letter sounds, etc.
Not sure if a "snake-only restructuring" is enough for them or if the new (part-time) paid positions or internal linguistic team might just throw away old courses and start them from scratch.

My opinion: You don't put many efforts into old tips/guidebooks or user error reports if the decision is to start something new..one day.. from scratch.
Happened like that to the German from English course, contributors had to abandon it and focus on creating German from Dutch.

German: Nein, ich kann nicht deren Gedanken lesen was die nächsten 2-5 Jahre auf dieser Plattform genau passieren wird und für welche Sprachen und inwieweit überhaupt noch weitere Gelder reingeblasen werden können.
Die ganzen Cartoons, Ai Voices und Animationen und Gamification Elemente verschlingen doch jetzt schon einen Batzen Geld?! Was soll da realistisch für Kurs Content und formale Sprachkonstrukte noch mittelfristig übrig bleiben??
Vor allem falls jetzt die Plus/Super Abos, womit Geld reinkommt, vermutlich kurzfristig erstmal weiter runtergehen werden, um mal realistisch zu bleiben.
EN auto-translated: No, I can't read their minds about what exactly will happen on this platform in the next 2-5 years and for which languages and to what extent further money can be blown in at all.
All the cartoons, AI voices and animations and gamification elements are already eating up a chunk of money?! What should realistically remain for (real) course content and formal language teaching constructs in the medium term?
Especially if the Plus/Super subscriptions, which bring in money, will probably go further down in the short term, to be realistic.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Guykings
Great Britain

Post by Guykings »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:55 am

@Guykings

What course/language?

Welsh from English and Dutch from English are both in the same boat: just example phrases which simply aren't adequate. German from English has some grammatical information but
a) this seems much more limited than it used to be, and
b) I did German to A-level and I was mainly using Duolingo as a revision/vocab-building tool when it came to German, testing out of topics I was confident in and focusing on my weaker subjects, which isn't really feasible with the snake structure because of how jumbled up all the topics are,
so that's not much use either.

Especially if the Plus/Super subscriptions, which bring in money, will probably go further down in the short term, to be realistic.

They're this close to losing mine, I can tell you.

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

Guykings wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:51 am

Whoever was responsible for curating the course seems to have abandoned it, as it's been months now since the learning path was introduced. You'd think at least the first few guidebooks might have been written. Or are the old course authors being kept out?

Richard Morse played a major role in the creation of the Welsh course but was unfortunately not employed by Duolingo when the volunteer course teams were ditched and so is unable to assist with course maintenance any more. He is still very active on the Duolingo Welsh Learners Facebook group. Incidentally he is also still running his Zoom classes, but they are now advertised and booked through Eventbrite rather than Duolingo.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

WelshExile#
Wales

Post by WelshExile# »

01tmJ8kb wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:22 am
Guykings wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:51 am

Whoever was responsible for curating the course seems to have abandoned it, as it's been months now since the learning path was introduced. You'd think at least the first few guidebooks might have been written. Or are the old course authors being kept out?

Richard Morse played a major role in the creation of the Welsh course but was unfortunately not employed by Duolingo when the volunteer course teams were ditched and so is unable to assist with course maintenance any more. He is still very active on the Duolingo Welsh Learners Facebook group. Incidentally he is also still running his Zoom classes, but they are now advertised and booked through Eventbrite rather than Duolingo.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my location (US) is a bit of a stumbling block regarding start times for a few of these classes. I’ll contact Richard to see if there’s a possibility/interest in adding another class more conducive to North America. Thanks again !!.

val
Wales

Post by val »

You can still access the old course by going to https://duome.eu/youridhere/progress - you can find your id in your profile.
Hope this helps...

Val

Return to “Welsh”