Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Flags

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

Corinnebelle

Flags

Post by Corinnebelle »

I wonder if when you've done all the hardwork Duome, if you'd find a way to import our flags next to our pictures? I don't know if you'll get streaks too. Just a wish. :)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: Flags

Post by EranBarLev »

I've seen flags in some signatures here, but I don't know where they take the images from.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I like to see the languages other people are studying, but the truth is that the flag system on Duolingo has been obsolete for a long time. I think the reason it's still in use is because the forum itself has been neglected for years. Reaching level 25 doesn't mean anything anymore, right?

I've seen that some users on Reddit have flags next to their names. I'm not sure if it would be possible to implement something like that here. Meanwhile, I tried to do so in my signature. What do you think?

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:34 am

Meanwhile, I tried to do so in my signature. What do you think?

Well that's a good start :) Where did you take the images from?

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:18 am
Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:34 am

Meanwhile, I tried to do so in my signature. What do you think?

Well that's a good start :) Where did you take the images from?

Just go to user profile > signature and type the flag code between two colons. For example, if you type : fr : (without spaces) you should get the French flag ( :fr: ).

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Some flags work and some don't. What am I doing wrong?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Would you tell me the flag code for Hebrew?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

coto.i
Romania

Post by coto.i »

I'd prefer to see the languages in which someone has some knowledge, no matter how little, rather than a (sometimes long) list of languages someone tried at some point and are just cluttering the screen Duolingo-style.

And especially I'd like to know the degree of proficiency of people who answer a language related question in that particular language. Maybe it could be implemented a feature to ask for one's native language(s) at sign up?

🇷🇴 Native Romanian speaker :us: B2-C1 :fr: B1-B2 :es: A2-B1 :de: A1-A2

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Great idea. It would be good to have a language proficiency button. That way we could tell whether people know what they're talking about. Maybe mods could regulate it because Duo levels aren't a guarantee of whether or not someone knows a language well.

duome

Post by duome »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:24 am

🇮🇱 = 🇮🇱

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Yes, you're right @superessedi. I'm afraid it only works with flags of existing countries.

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

A good idea would be to implement the code directly from Duo's API to our profiles, sorta like what the duome.eu page does.
But then again, that depends on how good the admin is at coding and implementing that with the forum platform. If that succeeds, it may prove to be much more efficient than any other way, plus having the possibility of adding xp, crowns, streak, etc.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:55 pm

I'm afraid it only works with flags of existing countries.

I'm afraid it doesn't even work with all existing countries. For example :il: and :pt: are existing countries but they still don't work, and :sa: is also an existing country but it gives a strange Chinese symbol :sa:.

I had to use the codes in https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/test/preview.html, for example 🇵🇹 is 🇵🇹.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

superessedi wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:50 pm

It works very well for languages that match a country, but I don't think I can get a flag for Latin. :(

How about 🇻🇦 = 🇻🇦? (:va: doesn't work either even though it is an existing country.)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

duome wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:33 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:24 am

🇮🇱 = 🇮🇱

Hmm, I'm afraid all I see is question mark, question mark in boxes. I don't know if that is because of my operating system, my browser is up to date, but the operating system is not.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:52 pm
duome wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:33 pm

🇮🇱 = 🇮🇱

Hmm, I'm afraid all I see is question mark, question mark in boxes.

I see 2 squares, I just copied them to my signature and it works! :D Do you see the flag in Duome's comment and in my signature?

60yo

Post by 60yo »

The Greek flag :gr: does not seem to work either.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

60yo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:54 am

🇬🇷 = 🇬🇷

https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/test/preview.html

60yo

Post by 60yo »

Thanks EranBarLev. I did try to use the link's contents before but miserably failed. I guess this time I felt a bit ashamed of myself and got it to work!

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

I especially like that, as a non-American, this means I'm not obliged to use the American flag to represent my Anglophone status.

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native
:fr: - Upper Intermediate | 🇮🇱 Beginner | 🇪🇸 Beginner (inactive)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:13 am

I see 2 squares, I just copied them to my signature and it works! :D Do you see the flag in Duome's comment and in my signature?

Yes, I see the flags! I will have to try the mystery boxes! I see you put your levels in each language. Neat!

60yo

Post by 60yo »

superessedi wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:08 am

If I may I ask, what is the difference between N vs. ( N ) vs. L1?

Thanks for the question. I started a topic, “What should my signature be?” under ‘Troubleshooting’.

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Jenga218 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:16 am

I especially like that, as a non-American, this means I'm not obliged to use the American flag to represent my Anglophone status.

And I like that I'm not obliged to use the Chinese flag, since I'm only interested in the Taiwanese variety of Mandarin written in traditional characters.

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

superessedi wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:08 am
60yo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:54 am

If I may I ask, what is the difference between N vs. ( N ) vs. L1?

I've started a thread here about CEFR levels: viewtopic.php?p=512#p512

I haven't mentioned N for "Native" though.

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

Heidi58

Post by Heidi58 »

I'd like to see flags, too. But no levels with them.
I seem to need more practice in order to learn a language than most people, so my levels on Duolingo are misleading. And I doubt I'm the only one who's at level 25 but only about half way through their language tree....

"Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom."
Roger Bacon
Native 🇺🇸 Learning 🇫🇷 and 🇩🇪

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

Heidi58 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:36 pm

I seem to need more practice in order to learn a language than most people, so my levels on Duolingo are misleading. And I doubt I'm the only one who's at level 25 but only about half way through their language tree....

That's the advantage of using [self-assessed] CEFR levels instead of the XP-based levels shown on Duolingo.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

01tmJ8kb wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:45 pm
Heidi58 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:36 pm

That's the advantage of using [self-assessed] CEFR levels instead of the XP-based levels shown on Duolingo.

Agree with this! Even if CEFR levels are a self assessment, and certainly not a flawless system, it's far more accurate/informative than the Duolingo levels we used to have.

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Is there a way to make my signature space less? It seems like it's a huge space at the bottom now I've got it working.

Sidor
Thailand

Post by Sidor »

Thailand's flag doesn't show up with :th: also. I solved the problem by using the Thai flag emoji from my phone's keyboard instead and it shows when I preview my signature at least.

🇹🇭 Native :us: B2-C1 :ru: A2

Julian_L.
Argentina

Post by Julian_L. »

Sidor wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:07 pm

Thailand's flag doesn't show up with :th: also. I solved the problem by using the Thai flag emoji from my phone's keyboard instead and it shows when I preview my signature at least.

By looking at fremanolas's signature I found out that some countries need the whole name in order to show their flags. You can get Thailand's flag by writting :thailand:

:argentina:N :it: Image

Return to “Requests new Duome features”