Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Chinese lessons being added?

Moderator: PtolemysXX

LindaBerna
United States of America

Chinese lessons being added?

Post by LindaBerna »

I have reached the end of UNIT 4 in Chinese and am wondering if more units are coming.
I'm new to the forum and have not found a discussion of this topic, so please direct me to a link if I missed the answer. Or if I need to ask my question elsewhere.

Thanks

Explorer
Portugal

Re: Chinese lessons being added?

Post by Explorer »

We do not know Duolingo's plans for the Chinese course. However, given the popularity of this language, it's very likely that the course content will be expanded in the future.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

LindaBerna
United States of America

Post by LindaBerna »

Please SOON! I have repeated the existing lessons numerous times and need motivation to continue. I am at day 845...
谢谢您

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Hi [mention]LindaBerna[/mention] ,

Have you read and studied all the Unit Guidebooks ?

There are 44 of them in the current course Duolingo has provided to my account. Being for up to Unit 44.

i.e.

LindaBerna
United States of America

Post by LindaBerna »

你好!

I went to the links you listed and did not see something new... I have reached the end of Unit 4 and am a bit bored with repeating lessons, even though I might still make mistakes. I need to be challenged!
谢谢你!

LindaBerna
United States of America

Post by LindaBerna »

Is there someone out there who can answer definitively whether new lessons will be coming for Chinese?
I am about to be charged for another year and am not sure it's worth it if new material is not forthcoming.

Also, I've noted changes to the presentation of material, but I'm not sure it's an improvement.

The pronunciation practice is severely diminished...maybe because I (and others) posted that answers should not have been accepted. They should not have been accepted mostly because I was cut off before finishing, or I get credit for what I KNOW was wrong.

Lastly, I can read other people's comments but cannot add to them, nor do they seem to be ongoing discussions. Some responses are pretty old.

Thanks for any input or information.

Linda

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Don't wait on Duolingo nor waste your time by repeating the same lessons. There are so many resources and books available to learn Chinese.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

can you provide us with some that you might recommend [mention]FurbyZeKat[/mention] ?

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

dakanga wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:53 am

can you provide us with some that you might recommend @FurbyZeKat ?

No, I learned Chinese more than ten years ago, my resources were mostly books, in French, and are outdated.

Search "learning mandarin" on Amazon and you'll get tons of books with reviews for every levels.

I would also be surprised if there were no other Apps or online resources to learn Chinese to an advanced level.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

The chinese sentences on clozemaster are not bad for advanced practice

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Have a look at https://www.chinesepod.com I listened to some of their podcasts a few years back, they were really good.

LindaBerna
United States of America

Post by LindaBerna »

I have actually found that MandarinBean is a good source for dialogs that are easily followed and understood, progressing to more complicated ones.

Even though Duolingo may not be the best learning tool, I have learned a lot. In addition, the lessons somewhat follow the Chen & Tsui textbooks I use in college. That is there is overlap and in some cases sentences and lessons match verbatim.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

[mention]LindaBerna[/mention] Just a suggestion: How about trying the reverse course (English from Chinese)? It seems to be much larger than Chinese from English. Unfortunately, it does not speak Chinese. :-(

LindaBerna
United States of America

Post by LindaBerna »

I do need to move on from Duolingo and think I will cancel my subscription, after close to 1000 uninterrupted days (plus another 100 or so ).
I am studying Chinese in college and was just offered a lifetime subscription to Rosetta Stone for a mere $179.00. Just what my kids can give me for Christmas!
Thanks for some good suggestions and general support for the complaints. :)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

It may also be worth checking :

I have just recently heard about it, and in the reviews, they come up quite favorable, with greater focus on teaching Grammar, and how the language works.

I have not used it myself. So - I can not personally recommend it.

For reviews of other packages, check out https://www.alllanguageresources.com/co ... ch-course/
Such as at :

For me, one of the pluses with Duolingo - is they they are striving to provide quality learning at no cost. They have come quite a way from when they started.
And they are continuing to improve the product on a language learning view - as per their identified priorities. This focus on continuing to improve and expand the Duolingo courses is also a key driving force for Duolingo. I feel happy to say that the money you spend on Duolingo - Duolingo will strive to spend firstly on maintenance and support, while still giving a return to its investors. With what I see them doing - they are still sticking to this. Even doing the costly standardization of the new Duolingo Path across all its courses. That would have cost a lot of time and money to do by a huge number of people.

And it is now mainly being funded by people that subscribe, and also people that buy "additional" features such as "Leagues".
So if you do subscribe to these features, you also know you are part of making the language learning resources Duolingo provides free for all to use.

Also - there are communities such as this one, where you can also participate in. You do not though need to be using Duolingo for your language learning to participate in this forum of duo.me.

So that even if you use another resource, I hope if you have questions on language, or wish to connect with people passionate about language learning, or to share resources you have found useful for your language learning, that we may continue to see you around these parts.

All the best. And I hope you might drop by and share a review of your experiences.

Return to “Chinese (Mandarin)”